Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hey sbr711, could you please check my VIN? I am having the low speed shudder issue but dealership says software is up to date. I live in Washington, USA. VIN is KM8J3CA20GU143459.

Thank you!
Geoff, I show a 2016 claim, and a Jan 2017 claim.. Need to know what is entered on that receipt - invoice for text and claim codes.. ROM ID for PCM and TCM help, but they aint likely going to plug in and print that for you.. can ask though

·
Registered
258 Posts
are we sending VIN's to someone in here to confirm all upds5tes are done on a specific tucson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Afternoon.
I am considering purchase of a 2016 Tucson Limited and concerned about all these issues with the DCT.
I notice SBR711 is quite knowledgeable about these issues.
Can you tell me if the updates as you have listed in this thread will make the DCT operate properly or will these require something in a period of time?
Is there any news regarding Hyundai replacing the units or is this solely a software issue?
Lastly I have run the VIN of the vehicle I am considering through Hyundai website and noticed the TCM update was completed Oct 24, 16. there was mention of Nov 14, 16 being a date of new updates. is this accurate?
VIN is KM8J33A22GU025218

Thank you to all who have input especially SBR711 if you have a minute to answer.

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
222 Posts
Happy New Year and welcome to the mad hou... forum!

I don't have access to search VINs, but the first update is "Recall #149" for the engine, announced toward the end of 2016; Mine was updated 10/31/2016. The second update is the "T1B Campaign" for the transmission, announced late-2016 or early-2017; Mine was updated 01/25/2017.

A DCT may not be best for everyone. It helps to have experience driving a vehicle with a manual transmission and treat the DCT as a MT that is shifted automatically by the computer. It is not a conventional automatic transmission with a torque converter.

Mine works fine after those two updates.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Good Afternoon.
I am considering purchase of a 2016 Tucson Limited and concerned about all these issues with the DCT.
I notice SBR711 is quite knowledgeable about these issues.
Can you tell me if the updates as you have listed in this thread will make the DCT operate properly or will these require something in a period of time?
Is there any news regarding Hyundai replacing the units or is this solely a software issue?
Lastly I have run the VIN of the vehicle I am considering through Hyundai website and noticed the TCM update was completed Oct 24, 16. there was mention of Nov 14, 16 being a date of new updates. is this accurate?
VIN is KM8J33A22GU025218

Thank you to all who have input especially SBR711 if you have a minute to answer.
At this moment in time,, Hyundai Motor reflects an open recall for T1B (engine AND transmission update) make sure they complete each update,, and ask that they do the LEARN procedure in Software Management for the clutch, and you would like print of screen reflecting 2 step procedure complete,,,, or you will "nuke" their survey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for your information RosemontCrest.
Were you having any issues with the DCT prior to the updates?
I currently drive a 6 speed MT Volkswagen so understand the MT driving.
The Tucson I am looking has seems to have a "stutter or vibration if you will" when starting from a complete stop. I understand the lag it has at times while cruising and wanting to accelerate and am more concerned about the stutter feel.

Thank you again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you SBR711.
I have printed the screen shots you posted to present to dealer and request the 2 step procedure.
In you opinion do these procedures as you outline "cure" the issues everyone seems to have?
And do you have a different means of looking at the updates done other than what I have hound on Hyundai website?

Thanks again. I like this truck I have found just very concerned about this issue.

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
222 Posts
Were you having any issues with the DCT prior to the updates?
Yes. Despite having experience using a MT, I didn't notice it until after several months. Recall #149 helped just little bit, but its effect seemed to have faded. After installation of the T1B Campaign update, mine works fine.

The Tucson I am looking has seems to have a "stutter or vibration if you will" when starting from a complete stop.
It may not have the recent updates installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody,

English is my third language and it's not that good but I will give it a try.
I have a lot of experience in technology, worked on gearboxes, engines, helped to produce wings for the F-16 Fighter, Airbus parts, helicopter parts and much more......

I drove all kind of cars, Jags, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln, small cars etc..... From small engines, from 1200cc up to a 7.6 liter, 460 cubic inches V8, even a 12 cylinder car. All kinds of transmissions from manual, automatic with torque convector, DCT, CVT and centrifugal. So I think I may say to understand how a DCT works and what the potential problems could be.

I own several cars and I bought the Tucson 1.6 l turbo Executive with the DCT cause I wanted a cheap fully loaded SUV for daily use. I post my opinion on the KIA Sportage site cause I find the technical level is higher than on the Hyundai site, but t's completely the same gearbox. It's a beast of a car, unbelievable fast for a 1.6 liter Turbo, handles well, shifts fast without shocks etc... Almost everybody love their Tucson or Sportage. But that DCT :) :) ......................

'There is nothing wrong with that DCT gear box, it works fast, sharp and the right way it's designed for.. But it's different from the classic automatic and people should understand how it works.

The DCT contains 2 shafts with each shaft his own clutch, dubble axes egals dubble clutch.... You can find a perfect movie on YouTube about the Kia DCT. It helps to understand the working of the gearbox
Shaft #1 holds for example gear 1, 3, 5 and 7. Shaft #2 hold the gears or sprockets for gear 2, 4, 6 and Reverse. The reverse works different from a manual gearbox because in the DCT they use a combination of several sprockets to back up the car but that's not the point of discussion. But it proves the simplicty and posibilities from a piece of art what a DCT is.

People should know that there is always a gear in the DCT that is selected when in Drive (few exceptions in abnormal conditions, will tell later), for example 3th gear on shaft#1 you are driving in and while accelerating the transmission knows that it has to shift to 4th gear on shaft #2 as you want to go faster. Gear 4 is already selected on forehand by the TCU and it will shift when the TCU ( Transmision Control or Computer Unit) gives the order to shift.
This is done by disengaging the clutch on shaft#1 with gear 3 and engaging-locking the clutch from shaft #2 with the 4th gear. And so further on......
In the opposite, when slowing down, the transmission will (has to) go into a lower gear when the TCU gives the order. For example driving in 4th gear on shaft #2 and braking the TCU knows that it has to downshift to 3 or even lower, and will on forehand select and hold that 3th gear on shaft #1 till it shifts.
This is how the transmission works in ideal ( easy ) circumstances.

>>>>>> Now, people think because a gear is selected in the gearbox the gearbox is also " engaged "........ Not..... !!!!!!! NOT !!!!!!

No matter which gear is selected in a DCT, the transmission becomes only effective when clutch #1 or #2 is engaged, locked. Clutch #1 engaged means clutch #2 is disengaged, unlocked and vice versa......

>>>>>>>>> There are 3 possibilities, clutch #1 is engaged OR clutch # 2, >>>>>>> OR NONE of the 2 CLUTCHES are engaged and here is where the misunderstanding, problems begin......... if or when you do not understand why none clutch is locked !!!!!!

In a standard automatic transmission there is always a form of connection between the driven shaft ( engine) and the transmission, you can step brutally on the throttle pedal, the torque convector handles the torque with a " slip " (remember that word for later) - that's why a hydraulic torque converter transmission is less fuel effective-efficient than a locked gear from a manual gearbox or a DCT. You loose energy by that slip......

And from now on we can talk about the DCT problems.......

I will end for now to see if I can post it and will start the next post with the things you should never do with a DCT, AND WHY the clutch is NOT engaging in the Tucson or Sportage DCT and the car DOES NOT MOVE from where it stays, even if you rev the engine up to 3000, 4000, 5000, or even 6000 RPM as you can see in some movies on YouTube......

I will also explain why in the middle of a freeway your TucsonDCT or Sportage can slow down suddenly.......
How to blow up a DCT in a few 100 miles or kilometers.... :)

Till later....

Philippe

`

·
Registered
258 Posts
i cant wait til the DCT is perfected

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello everybody,

... I post my opinion on the KIA Sportage site cause I find the technical level is higher than on the Hyundai site, but t's completely the same gearbox. 'There is nothing wrong with that DCT gear box, it works fast, sharp and the right way it's designed for..

Philippe

`
Nice try, Philippe, but your technical details just lost the script for 3 million Hyundai readers.
Us Merican's favorite pastime: red light- stand on bth brake and accelerator / green light- launch wheelies.

Seriously, when I first drove the DCT I thought "sumting wrong". It shifts goofy.
YouTube explained. Now I like being able to shift gears like a stick.
Are you going to tell us how to wreck the DCT?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mine is a 2016 that was built in late 2015, so a very early build. My DCT doesn't have any issues, though if you don't understand how the transmission works, you might think something is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Tucson just purchased and having issues

I just purchased a used 2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 Limited one week ago and started noticing the hesitation when going from being stopped and also the vibration when going 1-2 mph like in a parking lot. My sales guy tells me to bring it to have their service dept look at it. I did not purchase from a Hyundai dealership. Is it possible to find out if my particular vehicle has already these software updates? Would I need to call Hyundai for that? I really love the car but feel so disappointed with this issue. I read review and watched videos prior to making the purchase and never saw anything about this issues until it was too late.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Visit dealer, have them plug in GDS, and verify that updates installed so as to be using latest software for both the ENGINE & TRANSMISSION control

After verify all current,,,, preform the Clutch learn process in Software Management

·
Registered
94 Posts
Out of curiosity - what does the DCT have in common with the Czech manufacturing plant?

IMHO the DCT firmware is done in Korea.

We have the latest firmware and the car sucks as never before. It shows the "dead" moments twice a week, especially when the engine is cold. It never did it before so frequently...
Just came across this thread, do you still have your 2016 Tucson?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Visit dealer, have them plug in GDS, and verify that updates installed so as to be using latest software for both the ENGINE & TRANSMISSION control

After verify all current,,,, preform the Clutch learn process in Software Management
sbr711, wanted to confirm GDS as being; Hyundai Global Diagnostic System diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
41 - 60 of 62 Posts