Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2003 Sonata, manual model, that I love. It has always been looked after, and always very reliable, until the last 3 weeks. It has no trouble starting first go, but has developed a very annoying problem of giving a little cough while traveling, and then just stops. Called road side assistance the first time, who took 45 mins to arrive, and then turned the key and it started first go. He followed us to the mechanics, who had it for a week, but found nothing wrong with it. Nothing registered on the computers, so we took her home and all was good, until yesterday. Same thing happened, little cough, then stopped. leave it for 45 mins, and it starts, no problem??
Any ideas of what to look for, as what could be causing it???? Please???
Last night it stopped in a very inconvenient spot, and was lucky to be able to glide to safety.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
This type of problem may be hard to diagnose? Intermittent?
When it coughs and stops, it won't start up right away?
Did you check to see if you have spark?
Did you check to see if you have injector pulse?
When you first turn the key to the "ON" position, do you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail?
It turns on for about two seconds then stops.
When you crank the engine, the fuel pump should be running

If there is no spark and no injector pulse then it could indicate the crank position sensor is faulty
No fuel pump priming the fuel rail indicates fuel system issue

Scans of the computer not showing any codes?
Then it is possible the crank sensor is the issue
Don't know how to test it if it is intermittent

Good luck

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Yep agree crankshaft position sensor is a likely suspect if no code has shown up and yea trying to test an intermittent one is difficult. It could be many other things but they do have a reputation of causing problems so for the cost and ease of replacing it I would say go ahead and replace it unless you good at diagnosis procedures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts