Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new Santa Fe 2.2 CRTD Diesel in 2008 having previously had a new Accent with 5 years of incident free motoring. I have never had a problem with the Santa Fe and have always had a full annual service at the same time as the MOT. The mileage on the vehicle is 78,000 and I have never used it for towing or off road use. In March of this year I was going to work and the vehicle wouldn't start in my driveway. It was misfiring but wouldn't turn over. I have breakdown cover so I called them for home start. The breakdown service was basically a tow truck and the driver had a look at the engine and suggested it may be the fuel pump. I had it towed to a local garage and they carried out a diagnostic check which showed that the EGR valve needed replacing. I authorised replacement and when I got the vehicle back it was running as good as ever and my fuel consumption increased.
In July this year I was driving along the M62 towards Huddersfield when the vehicle just cut out on me. I was near to Birch Services so I was able to freewheel the vehicle onto the motorway services slip road. The breakdown recovery drives was also a mechanic and he carried out a diagnostic check which highlighted a faulty crank sensor. The veh was towed back to the same garage and they also carried out a diagnostic check which confirmed the crank sensor needed replacing. Having replaced the crank sensor they took it for a test drive and lo and behold it cut out completely on them as well. They thought it might be an auto electrical fault and had my vehicle examined by a qualified auto electrician who could find nothing wrong with any of the wiring. Tomorrow they are going to check the timing belt in case that may be the problem but I know a mechanic who lives down south who said it's unlikely to be the timing belt if the vehicle is running smoothly before it cuts out. As I have now had EGR valve and crank sensor replaced but I am still without my car! The MOT is up on the 1st September and I am loath to sell the car as it has been such a reliable runner but I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if so what solutions were found.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts