Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add another 12V outlet for dedicated power to my TPMS add-on. If I use any existing, even the one in the trunk area the sensor doesn't "see" all the wheel transmitters reliably.
I was using the one in the rear seat area with an extension but either feet or cargo kicking it out of position make this location unsuitable too.
I have an extension running from the rear 12V outlet but again, cargo, etc. makes that also not ideal. Besides it does not looking nice.
I added a "smart" outlet for my portable fridge and had planned to use that but since it's now a "smart" outlet I have to find another.
Before you ask... "smart" means that normally power to the 7-pin trailer plug is OFF. When switched on to enable towing mode, the 7-pin and the added 12V outlet are powered via relays when key ON, I.e. car running.
When in towing mode and car NOT running, a 12V extension is active instead so that the trailer or some auxiliary 12V power can power the 12V outlet behind the back seat, I.e. portable fridge plugged in when camping.
I was able to do all this without wrecking anything and am hoping that maybe someone has discovered power in or under the rear of the SF so that I can avoid running another wire all the way to the front.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Tap into the lamp/defroster harness on the drivers side rear where the hitch is wired to, there's an access panel for it. I believe the brake light is hot all the time, otherwise the hatch mechanical control should be hot, it needs to respond to the fob/proximity to release the door.

But then again, I've been wrong before :wallbash:

·
2,258 Posts
if you are tapping into constant power, you could start draining the battery when the car is off. you might want to stick to what you call "smart" power (aka fuse box).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think that "hot all the time" would be with key on as per my original question. As it turns out I may have lucked out by using a hinged 12V extender on the rear outlet. I.e. no cable. Only did a brief test drive today but having the TPMS receiver upright instead of on its side may have solved the problem of not "seeing" the sensors. Fingers crossed that I can keep from breaking/dislodging it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts