Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else get a lot of vibration and noise when slamming on the brakes. Not like my last vehickle which was very quiet. Want to bring it in to have it checked, but if there is nothing wrong and its normal, I will have to pay them for looking at it. Always scares the crap out of me when it happens

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anybody else get a lot of vibration and noise when slamming on the brakes. Not like my last vehickle which was very quiet. Want to bring it in to have it checked, but if there is nothing wrong and its normal, I will have to pay them for looking at it. Always scares the crap out of me when it happens
It would appear through your description that your rotors are warped. How many miles on it? I have only had to slam on the brakes twice in 31k and they have no vibration at all. take it in if you are concerned.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You answered your own question your antilock brakes are noisy and vibrate when you slam them on. Thats 100% normal.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is the noise and vibrations felt mostly in the pedal or outside the vehicle. ABS under activation during extreme braking or slippery conditions does have an audible sound accompanied by vibration in the pedal. If the vibration is also noticeable on the steering wheel then you might have warped rotors. Since we don't know your mileage I would assume that your experience is normal as well. You really should not have to be slamming on the brakes very often if you are 100% paying attention to the road ahead. Sometimes it's only a micro-second of distraction that changes the dynamics in reaction to traffic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have 17k on my car. I have never had any other cars sound like that when I hit the brakes hard. I am gonna go try them again and see if the steering wheel vibrates. Don't be an idiot cobra. sometimes people just pull out in front of you. especially in California, where half the drivers are illegal.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i have 17k on my car. I have never had any other cars sound like that when I hit the brakes hard. I am gonna go try them again and see if the steering wheel vibrates. Don't be an idiot cobra. sometimes people just pull out in front of you. especially in California, where half the drivers are illegal.
Easy Blue, not intended to offend you. That was just a "blanket" comment for everyone. We all have driven with minor to major distractions as more and more technology comes our way via smartphones, Nav units, Head-units with a 7-inch touch screen, etc. All I was saying is that our interaction with this stuff leaves a driver wide open for a bad or near-miss type of situation behind the wheel. I drive a larger vehicle for a living and see this all the time, but I guess where you live the game of commuting is a little different like you stated. You should just take it in and explain what you are feeling and have them check all functions of your brake system. Maybe your ABS is engaging before traction loss. Well good luck! Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Perhaps we all have slightly different definitions of "slamming on the brakes"? ;)
The only one I know happens after a very brief moment of not looking at what's ahead of me, followed by Oh $&%#!, followed by "slamming" on the brakes. Obviously everyones commute is different. Mine at least on the way home can go from 65-70 down to 30 just almost instantly for no apparent reason. It is work, but the more your head is "up" the better chance you have to anticipate no matter where you live and commute.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I hit the breaks rather quickly and, let's say there was a pothole or one of those big metal plates they use here in Cali when doing street work, my brake pedal stutters and come up. Now I have had cars with ABS before and none of them operated this way. I have mentioned it to them 3 times, they "test" it and say nothing is wrong. Well, honestly, that feeling scares me and I know it is not normal. Also, although the shaking pedal has happened in the rain, it rarely rains here and in the last 3 weeks this has happened on flat streets and not hills. I came close twice.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I hit the breaks rather quickly and, let's say there was a pothole or one of those big metal plates they use here in Cali when doing street work, my brake pedal stutters and come up. Now I have had cars with ABS before and none of them operated this way. I have mentioned it to them 3 times, they "test" it and say nothing is wrong. Well, honestly, that feeling scares me and I know it is not normal. Also, although the shaking pedal has happened in the rain, it rarely rains here and in the last 3 weeks this has happened on flat streets and not hills. I came close twice.
ABS has been around for quite some time now. I have owned several different vehicles with ABS and they all were somewhat different when activated. Also, technology has changed the way they work with integration of traction and stability control on most newer vehicles. When braking, if any tire or more loses traction for any reason the ABS will activate. It should not happen on flat dry surfaces hardly ever unless while braking you run over something unstable that causes wheel slippage. If you feel that something is really wrong, make the dealer check the "ENTIRE" system including the CPU. From pedal to rotor, and except nothing but yes for an answer. They probably just drove it around the block, noted that the brakes stop the car and told you it was "normal." If it is activating more often than you think it should, the answer will be in the car or in you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, in my case I am pretty close with the two managers at San Francisco Hyundai due to my "LEMON" and the amount of useless trips to the dealership and lost $. :( When it comes to the breaks on this 13 Accent GLS, now my 3rd car with ABS, I will state that the feeing on flat services, hills and getting 145-18 MPG that there is seriously something not engineered:confused: correctly.
ABS has been around for quite some time now. I have owned several different vehicles with ABS and they all were somewhat different when activated. Also, technology has changed the way they work with integration of traction and stability control on most newer vehicles. When braking, if any tire or more loses traction for any reason the ABS will activate. It should not happen on flat dry surfaces hardly ever unless while braking you run over something unstable that causes wheel slippage. If you feel that something is really wrong, make the dealer check the "ENTIRE" system including the CPU. From pedal to rotor, and except nothing but yes for an answer. They probably just drove it around the block, noted that the brakes stop the car and told you it was "normal." If it is activating more often than you think it should, the answer will be in the car or in you.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Jay I swear we're like Hyundai soul brothers. :D It is normal and I had the exact same feelings 3 months after I bought the car. The freaking ABS thuds like a mother and was so loud that I swear it sounded like the rotors were being bent. I took it to the dealership and they ran the codes and said nothing wrong it's normal.

I just took their word but I decided to keep testing it and I was so convinced that something was wrong I took it back to them a second time and had them take off the tires and inspect everything. They told me the same thing, brakes are fine. I couldn't believe it. I rode with the tech and showed him and he told me that it seemed odd and his car didn't do that but it was just part of the way it was designed. He literally told me that noise was something that he couldn't fix but the brakes were fine. I couldn't spend anymore time on it so I just gave up and don't even think about it anymore. I never did another panic stop test after that though. If they say the brakes are fine that is good enough for me but it was another thing that scared me as well early on. I will never buy another first year production car again. NEVER.

·
Registered
80 Posts
BTW. I also had an incident recently where I accelerated from a stop sign and I must have hit a pot hole or something...the electronic stability control activated and the car was locked in gear at a low speed and stepping on the gas did nothing for about 10 seconds. I literally had no control over the speed and had to slowly coast through the intersection. This is BAD. It only happened once but just a warning for everyone if this ever happens to you at the wrong time and place be prepared to hit the ESC off button. Maybe it was just a fluke I don't know but that scared me as well....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Norcalguy,

Seriously, after that thread i started when i started having problems (the one that ranked 1st for SEO, Google for about 2 months),which was closed, I have to tell you that I am glad I am not alone. However, from what i remember your MPG's are at least "close" unlike mine. Correct? We do have rights here in California and I am going to do whatever it takes to make sure this gets resolved and I can move on.

Anyway, if you feel like it, please PM me and hopefully we can hook up , as I would be interested in seeing your Accent.

One poster asked something like "if your car can get 40 MPG on long trips), then what is the problem? Well, the problem presented itself last week when I drove to Redwood City, Chevron gas, reset Avg MPH and still, I only got 27 MPG.

We Shall Prevail !

Jay I swear we're like Hyundai soul brothers. :D It is normal and I had the exact same feelings 3 months after I bought the car. The freaking ABS thuds like a mother and was so loud that I swear it sounded like the rotors were being bent. I took it to the dealership and they ran the codes and said nothing wrong it's normal.

I just took their word but I decided to keep testing it and I was so convinced that something was wrong I took it back to them a second time and had them take off the tires and inspect everything. They told me the same thing, brakes are fine. I couldn't believe it. I rode with the tech and showed him and he told me that it seemed odd and his car didn't do that but it was just part of the way it was designed. He literally told me that noise was something that he couldn't fix but the brakes were fine. I couldn't spend anymore time on it so I just gave up and don't even think about it anymore. I never did another panic stop test after that though. If they say the brakes are fine that is good enough for me but it was another thing that scared me as well early on. I will never buy another first year production car again. NEVER.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Norcalguy,

Seriously, after that thread i started when i started having problems (the one that ranked 1st for SEO, Google for about 2 months),which was closed, I have to tell you that I am glad I am not alone. However, from what i remember your MPG's are at least "close" unlike mine. Correct? We do have rights here in California and I am going to do whatever it takes to make sure this gets resolved and I can move on.

Anyway, if you feel like it, please PM me and hopefully we can hook up , as I would be interested in seeing your Accent.

One poster asked something like "if your car can get 40 MPG on long trips), then what is the problem? Well, the problem presented itself last week when I drove to Redwood City, Chevron gas, reset Avg MPH and still, I only got 27 MPG.

We Shall Prevail !
Jay, PM sent. Redwood City is a drive and you should have seen 30 at some point for sure. This is intriguing because maybe there is something wrong specific to your car. Anyway, we can do a side by side test if you want and see if there is a difference and if so what that difference might be.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What was your previous car?
it was a truck. f150. but not my first with ABS. stil havent tried them again to see if the steering wheel shakes. maybe the word chattering would describe better how it feels. just wanted to know if any one else thought they were different than other cars they dorve. might be because its so small with tiny rotors and brakes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts