Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first car I ever owned on my own was a 2012 Sonata. It was great, ran well, never let me down. Eventually I moved to Edmonton (from Montreal) due to my work and gave the car to my parents (as they are retired and relied on me before leaving to run errands/get groceries) - that way they could have a reliable car for appointments and getting groceries, most of the time it'd be stored indoors in the garage.

Today my dad was driving home from a grocery run with my mom and called me mentioning the fuel tank gauge was acting up, claimed it was not "decreasing" while driving, but the KM to empty number was going down as he drove.

So I thought whatever, maybe it's a sensor, maybe we'll make an appointment at the dealership to check it out later in the week.

My parents had other thoughts, they thought maybe we should get a gas fuel additive to clean the gas, maybe that will help. Somehow, the request gets lost in translation (my mom being a tiny indian lady, her english is fine, but not the best if trying to explain engine stuff/or additives), the guy ends up selling her 50/50 premixed antifreeze, which she claims he said was good for the gas tank (once again, lost in translation)??!!

They apparently poured about close to half of it into the gas tank (which was relatively full, since they filled up). The drive from the gas station was short, since it was right by their home. They called me, told me what they had done and that my dad had noticed a couple of stutters from the car while driving.

So yeah... this is where I'm at, dealing with this now 3500km from Montreal. It's too late in the day to do anything now, but I told them not to drive the car and that it will have to be towed to the dealer or a mechanic.

So my question, if anyone is knowledgeable, how is this fixed and how bad can it get? ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I imagine they Will have to drain it, add fresh fuel,
then flush the fueline out with the fresh stuff and run the residue of the bad mix out by driving it. Maybe an additive to keep it from freezing. Personally i would take it to a large professional shop not the dealer for warranty reasons. What do the rest of you folks think??

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
There should be a drain plug on the tank (hopefully) and the first fluid to come out will be the antifreeze being much heavier than petrol. Maybe drain off the antifreeze then add a litre of ethanol (metelayted spirits, Denatured alcohol whatever you call it) it will mix with the petrol and hopefully wash all the crap out.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Drain plug on the tank I don't think so. What I have done in the past is remove the fuel line and use the fuel pump to pump the tank down. When you get it down to about an 1/8 of a tank you start getting a lot of air.

You have to jumper the fuel pump to run constantly without the engine running.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There should be a drain plug on the tank (hopefully) and the first fluid to come out will be the antifreeze being much heavier than petrol. Maybe drain off the antifreeze then add a litre of ethanol (metelayted spirits, Denatured alcohol whatever you call it) it will mix with the petrol and hopefully wash all the crap out.
Wow, last time I saw a drain on a gas tank was military. Car tanks you pretty much gave to drop to drain . You can get nearly all of it by siphoning IF. You can get a small hose like 1/8” down there. Something like fish tank aquarium line. That’s about all you’re going to get down into any modern gas tank for whatever reason in the way they’re built.
If he’s a bit mechanical he can get it out that way by siphoning otherwise it’s going to be a mechanic. I’d **** well avoid a dealership . Add a couple bottles of GOOD dry gas and fill with fresh high test.
Also tell them to stay away from those backwater gas stations and stick to the mainstream busy places where the pumps are in plain sight of the attendant. The reason is that aside from this sort of thing those back water stations are the favorite haunts of thieves. They place skimmers on the credit card machines face and it grabs the customers info then they go on a spending spree later on. Worse they now have a newer one that is invisible as it’s so small it fits right into the slot rather than being a slightly larger face cover that you can spot if you’re careful. Montreal is just full of fraudsters like any big city so tell them to keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You must have been in the military last year. many manufacturers still have a drain plug but not a tap. Plastic tanks don't have drain plugs.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my dad ended up getting the car towed to a garage/mechanic my uncle uses for his fleet of trucks. They did the whole drain and cleaning etc and things seem to be back to normal. Car seems to be driving fine, no issues so far. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The only thing I've ever poured in a gas tank that wasn't gas is Seafoam, and it's written right on the bottle that you can dump it into the tank. Never seen anything anywhere that says dumping Antifreeze (especially diluted with water!) into the tank is a good idea.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey, one time I picked up a free donation of military antifreeze from a drum and only had a gas can to put it in. I used half in my tractor and stashed the can Sure nuff I ran out one day at home qand mistook it for my lawnmower can and in went 2-3 gallons before I saw the green. I couldn’t even get a hose into the tank and didn’t have any 1/8” around . Ended up pumping it out via a fuel line till the tank was empty. .
Then out comes another can and my Mr Funnel. I poured that gas from one can to the other and back again . I separated and salvaged both the gas and antifreeze. I wouldn’t dump it in a newer car but it worked fine in a throttle body 350 GM and my old tractor.
I really can’t say enough about how well Mr. Funnel works. It’s slow but takes everything right out unless it has a huge percentage of water. It’s a handy tool to keep around.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I have a power washer that has a stupid gas tank on it. The fuel pickup does not go to the bottom. Over time water builds up from the E10 gas attracting it from the atmosphere. Sooner or later it starts sucking water and won't run. You have to disassemble the whole carb, linkage and take the tank off. Even then, no way can you just dump all the contents out. Briggs and Castration design.

So I put in a drain plug.

·
Registered
130 Posts
By the way, when my fuel gauge acts up, I add fuel injector cleaner, and that seems to buy me a month or more without erratic fuel indications. I have taken to resetting the trip odometer every fillup. When I hit 400 miles, I know to fill up, no matter what the fuel gauge indicates. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to pop for taking the back seat apart and replacing the sensors.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a power washer that has a stupid gas tank on it. The fuel pickup does not go to the bottom. Over time water builds up from the E10 gas attracting it from the atmosphere. Sooner or later it starts sucking water and won't run. You have to disassemble the whole carb, linkage and take the tank off. Even then, no way can you just dump all the contents out. Briggs and Castration design.

So I put in a drain plug.
Dollar store turkey baster works great too. Also helpful is a tiny in-line fuel shutoff valve so you can store the carb dry without booze gas eating your aluminum carb. Tiny in-line filters are nice too. Both are dirt cheap on Ebay if you buy them by the 5 pack. The hard part is finding room to locate both and not make a mess of things.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dad was transferring a car from a dealership in one town to another. Middle of the night stopped for fuel, got about five miles down the road and engine starts heating up, cat starts overheating, everything goes south. Has the car towed into the receiving dealership only to find a GAS tank full of Diesel! Yes, this was after gasoline nozzles had been sized for the fuel they delivered, small for gasoline, large for diesel, and the tank had the small opening. The company that delivered the fuel to the station had filled the unleaded regular tank with diesel. Paid for a LOT of repairs on that one.

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
437 Posts
The company that delivered the fuel to the station had filled the unleaded regular tank with diesel.
I saw that happen at a Husky station here decades ago. At least it is the lesser of two errors. Putting gas in a diesel is much worse.

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
437 Posts
Running the fuel pump on the Sonata will remove whatever the pump picks up but another possibility would be to go into the tank from the top assuming there is an opening for the fuel pump and/or gas gauge sensors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts