Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed an HD radio and I do not get the same reception I got in my 06 Civic DX.

FM works ok and AM almost not at all. HD works fine just reduced reception.

I believe that the shark fin antenna is only for XM and the AM – FM is received thru the rear window wire antenna similar to my old Civic.

There are two connections to the stock head unit. One is Bayonett plug (old school antenna) and one appears to be for XM.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I am stumped; PLEASE does anyone know the answer?

Chris

·
Registered
164 Posts
First I need to know what an HD radio is, why you installed it, and what it does =p...

Before I know that, my advice would to be to check the HMA website and look up the console for the wire connections. You are right where XM is the sharkfin and AM/FM is for rear window.

Just a small note, window tint on the back window affects reception (Mainly with defrost on)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

HD Radio is an expanded digital radio that will receive analog FM and AM signal. It will also receive Digital AM and FM signals.

The advantage is two or three fold. (It reminds me of when FM was new I remember when my dad got a converter for his AM radio to receive FM)

1 No XM charge it’s free!

2 Local stations can on there own frequency add two or three additional sub stations broadcasting different material. HD1, HD2, HD3 etc (I like to listen to Mojo Radio and rebroadcasts of WBCN in the Boston area.) This means you can receive local stations with local info with more variety.

3 The unit displays content. An example would be the Band and the Song, station call sign and who the DJ/Show is.

I originally purchased this for my 06 Civic DX. The Honda had a similar rear window antenna and the reception was about 30% better on FM and 95% better on AM. The Head unit has only been in the elantra about a month, so no defrost use.

The Stock Elantra antenna wire plugs right into the head unit. I am wondering if the stock radio has a booster in it. The 06 Civic had a power cable in the antenna converter. (it did not have a standard bayonet antenna plug, and so a converter was needed.

I have logged onto the HMA website (last November) with limited success. I guess I'm an old dog and more comfortable with the paper manuel.

Thank you AndreC, I really appreciate your help/direction.
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you hooked up the aftermarket radio did you make sure that it powers the "power antenna" lead from the wiring harness. I made the mistake of not hooking that up thinking, there is no power antenna, and I got bad reception. Then I looked up the service manual for the car and saw that the rear window antenna grid has a power amplifier that is fed from that line. So after I hooked the power antenna connection from the radio to the wiring harness radio reception got much better.

The "shark fin" antenna just houses the GPS and XM antennas. At least on my 2013 the AM/FM antenna is in the rear window grid.

Pete B.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for this reply. This might just solve the poor reception, I'm not sure If I connected the power antenna lead. I used a Metra Turbowire aftermarket factory plug #70-7304 and soldered everything from the radio to the kits plugs and shrink tubed the bare connections.

Is this power antenna lead not part of the factory plug?

Could this be a separate power feed that I missed?

Does anybody have a link to the wiring page that will show the powered antenna wire?

Thanks in advance for the help, and to everyone that has given suggestions, I appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you hooked up the aftermarket radio did you make sure that it powers the "power antenna" lead from the wiring harness. I made the mistake of not hooking that up thinking, there is no power antenna, and I got bad reception. Then I looked up the service manual for the car and saw that the rear window antenna grid has a power amplifier that is fed from that line. So after I hooked the power antenna connection from the radio to the wiring harness radio reception got much better.

The "shark fin" antenna just houses the GPS and XM antennas. At least on my 2013 the AM/FM antenna is in the rear window grid.

Pete B.
Thank you very much on this. I installed a Pioneer Stereo Receiver in my 2013 Elantra, and I noticed that AM reception was absolutely horrible. When I installed it, I did not hook up the power antenna blue wire, because I did not see the same colour on the receiver end of the harness.

I decided to investigate what the 'System Remote Control' wire was on the receiver end of the harness, only to find out that is the wire used to power the antenna amplifier in the car in the passenger side of the quarter panel.

I noticed the AM reception improved dramatically, and of course, it helped boost reception on the FM side too.

Many thanks on that Pete B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts