Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to troubleshoot recent degradation of FM radio reception, looking to examine antenna cable from radio to shark fin - found Hyundai parts drawings but one shows the cable traveling along the passenger floor board to the the C pillar, while another shows it going up the a pillar and running along the inside of the roof, so unsure where this cable runs. Removed the kick panel on the passenger side and wasn't sure if the wiring visible there could be the radio antenna cable, didn't seem to be.

3 yrs back the headliner was replaced along with the entire roof (hail damage) so I am thinking the cabling needs to be inspected, it appears from the parts diagram not to be a standard coaxial type of cable ?

another possiblity could be the connection itself to the shark fin or a faulty signal amplifier ?

any other ideas as to how best figure this out , thanks

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
On my Gen Coupe the antenna amp is grounded by the mounting bolt. But they screwed it into painted threads and it lost the ground over time. It's a back window grid type antenna and the amp was just under the passenger C pillar trim. From there to the radio is a small coax.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,371 Posts
Is it only the FM reception that's poor? Have you checked AM/MW?
The FM & MW signals travel down the same cable, so if MW reception is good a fault with the aerial cable/connections seems unlikely.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's am reception as well, only mentioned FM because that's pretty much the only band I listen to and the FM reception has fallen off dramatically. Doesn't seem easy to get to the antenna connections at the radio or the shark fin, but I saw an old post from sbr711 indicating he's seen some issues with the wires being worn near the right side kick panel. I'm pretty sure coaxial cable is not longer used to convey the signals.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,371 Posts
I'm pretty sure coaxial cable is not longer used to convey the signals.
I'm pretty sure it is.

And if both bands are effected the aerial amplifier would be the most likely cause of the problem, in my experience. Either the amplifier itself or it's power supply has probably failed.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure it is.

And if both bands are effected the aerial amplifier would be the most likely cause of the problem, in my experience. Either the amplifier itself or it's power supply has probably failed.
is the amp at the radio end or the shark fin ? thanks

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure it is.

here is a pic of a sonata antenna cable - it's similar to the one I saw for the 2013 Sante Fe - looks like it may have a short coax connection at one end but a number of other wire leads that might carry power and signals, some sort of signal splitting as well as amplification has to occur somewhere in the process, like so many other parts in modern cars it's more complicated that days of old, plus it's not easy to access the cabling. My wife is the primary driver but when we go on trips the lack of FM reception now can be irritating as it may force me into listening to her talk more, lol

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure it is.

I'm suspecting the fault may be in the amplifier - have to figure out it's location.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As far as I know the antenna assembly/ amp are the one unit on the roof. Likely you'll have power in for the amp, RF out back to the radio, and a separate GPS signal. So first thing would be confirm 12v is at the connector end for the antenna

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know the antenna assembly/ amp are the one unit on the roof. Likely you'll have power in for the amp, RF out back to the radio, and a separate GPS signal. So first thing would be confirm 12v is at the connector end for the antenna
ok thanks, looks like it's time to peel back the headliner.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found the issue - when the roof and pano roof was replaced one of the signal amp connectors had been expanded so the connection wasn't tight nor durable and the connector eventually came apart, which explains why it worked for 6 months after the collision work but then failed.

thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
found the issue - when the roof and pano roof was replaced one of the signal amp connectors had been expanded so the connection wasn't tight nor durable and the connector eventually came apart, which explains why it worked for 6 months after the collision work but then failed.
Thanks following up & letting us know the cause. 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts