Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to state that I've been browsing these forums for a while as a source of information for whenever my girlfriend has an issue with her 2011 Sonata, and usually, I'll find what I'm looking for. Since I wasn't able to find what I was looking for specifically, I figured I'd officially join and ask my question. So while it's my first post, I'm no stranger to the forum, and I'm no stranger to working on cars in general (I've done motor swaps and trans swaps in my mustangs, as well as replacing a few internal solenoids in transmissions).

So, to my question. I realize there's a TSB on the trans oil temp sensor, and that it was integrated into the harness in 2013. Does that mean that I still can't replace just the sensor if I were to find it? Amazon has just the genuine hyundai sensor and a few other online parts places have the sensor 46386-3B000. My girlfriend wants a new vehicle, so we will probably be trading the Sonata in on an SUV soon. With that being the case, I really don't know if I want to dive into pulling the valvebody out and replacing the sensor and harness with the new style harness with integrated sensor, if I can still find the old style sensor itself and replace it (the pictures in the TSB look like once the pan is off, the sensor is right there. Pull the connector, take out a bolt and replace it).

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I believe they are two separate things (temp sensor and harness). The TSB requires they both be replaced. Double check that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe they are two separate things (temp sensor and harness). The TSB requires they both be replaced. Double check that.
Yeah, that’s my understanding of the TSB since they changed the design of the harness to integrate the temp sensor. So following the TSB completely I’d have to remove the temp sensor and harness, and replace it with the new style harness.

I’m just wondering, since I can find the old style sensor by itself (which I assume is the defective part and the harness is more than likely ok), can I just replace that and be good to go instead of pulling the valve body out, to replace the whole harness?

Trying to have as little time and money involved since it looks like we’ll be trading it in. Plus, I already have to try to figure out if the charcoal canister is clogged or vent valve isn’t working causing a slow fueling issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Amazon has just the genuine hyundai sensor
Do NOT order "Genuine" Hyundai parts on Amazon. I did this, and got what appeared to be knockoff air filters. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer, and have designed hundreds of injection molded parts. I compared the two, and realized that the Amazon one was NOT the same. And the name of the supplier embossed on the plastic frame was different. It had a hologram sticker that is not used on the air filter from the dealer. Unless the Korean air filters are from a different supplier, and they use a hologram that the US parts don't use, there is no other explanation than to say that they were knockoffs. Probably some guy took low cost aftermarket air filters, reboxed them, and tried to sell them for a profit.
I can only imagine what can happen purchasing more important parts, like something that controls my transmission, and finding out it was a knockoff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do NOT order "Genuine" Hyundai parts on Amazon. I did this, and got what appeared to be knockoff air filters. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer, and have designed hundreds of injection molded parts. I compared the two, and realized that the Amazon one was NOT the same. And the name of the supplier embossed on the plastic frame was different. It had a hologram sticker that is not used on the air filter from the dealer. Unless the Korean air filters are from a different supplier, and they use a hologram that the US parts don't use, there is no other explanation than to say that they were knockoffs. Probably some guy took low cost aftermarket air filters, reboxed them, and tried to sell them for a profit.
I can only imagine what can happen purchasing more important parts, like something that controls my transmission, and finding out it was a knockoff.
Oh man, I had no idea. That’s good to know. I’ve never bought car parts from amazon, so that’s some good info. I ended up ordering the parts from a Hyundai direct place anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts