Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get the oil change and annual inspection for the wife's Sonata last Friday and decided to have her test drive the Elantra. Not just any Elantra, but one with three pedals on the floor and no "P" on the shifter.

The deals they're running are nothing short of crazy - rebates (billed as "bonus cash") plus no interest for six years. Apparently there are manufacturer to dealer incentives that are letting them knock an extra grand or two off the price. They actually said they had another buyer interested in the car we were buying - the '18 SE with a stick, and offered us the automatic for the same price. That'd would have been another thousand off, if we had wanted the automatic. We went to lunch while they prepped the car and drove it home that afternoon.

Well, let me echo what others have said. The AD Elantra is light years ahead of the MD in refinement, ride, and NVH. It also feels roomier than the MD, which is odd considering our MD experience is in the Camel interior and the new AD has the Laserjet Toner interior.

And fuel economy is ridiculous - rated at 26/29/36, and the dash read over 38 driving 1500 feet up the mountainside in a thunderstorm. Next trip out on hilly mountain roads had the meter up to almost 43. Once the wife gets used to the powertrain and starts to change focus to efficiency, I think tank averages of 50 - within a few either way - are reasonable to expect.

Here's the new AD with the Phantom Black LF Limited Tech close behind in a menacing posture:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Congrats! Love that color--it's my second favorite.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the congrats.

Funny how things work out. I was watching the car on the dealer's website - the only new car on the lot with the manual. In used cars - only a couple of manuals - a Subaru WRX and a Mustang, and I'd bet the clutch is dead on both of 'em because they're not cars that get driven lightly. So I had an idea of numbers in my mind already and had been thinking about it. On the way from NY to PA, on I-80 westbound, I spotted a '19 Kia Forte passing in the center lane. It had Michigan distributor plates, so it's probably a press car. It sparked a thought that with the '19 Forte going automatic only for 2019, how long will it be before the Elantra goes the same route. The Sonata stick died after 2012, the Tucson and Santa Fe around the same time. Before long, only the Accent and Veloster will remain, and how long before they go PRNDL-only. Now, at least we have a piece of automotive history, and one that I might add has a very light and positive clutch and very good shift gates - not notchy and not vague. A very easy car to drive.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Very nice. I like the white. I came from a Saturn designed in the 80's. So the my Elantra was light years better. :grin2:

I am blown away by the fuel economy. The Saturn would get 33 mpg going to family in country. Lots of hills. Last time my Elantra read 48.2 mpg on readout when I arrived at family's residence. Using Eco Mode and light on the gas pedal gives amazing fuel economy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I never thought of having your car servicing business as important to the dealer other than the money they make from it, but of course it gets you in to see the new models in person!

Yeah the new Elantra is quite an amazing little car!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never thought of having your car servicing business as important to the dealer other than the money they make from it, but of course it gets you in to see the new models in person!
Our dealer has the service in a separate building across the parking lot so it's "there" but it's a couple of hundred feet away. It is very common for dealers to have salespeople - especially the newbies - ambling about the service waiting area approaching any customer who dares to take their eyes off their ipad/phone, at which point the salesman will extol the virtues of the latest models which can be had for a payment that is "the same or less than what you're paying now!"

Funny thing is - I was unofficially planning on going to drive the Elantra anyway but decided not to fill out the gift card offer on hyundaiusa - but I had done so last summer when I test drove a different Elantra. So I'm not really out any money.

The Elantra is a great long distance traveller. The seats are comfortable, the interior room and ride are both really very good for a small car, and the gas gage needle rarely moves.
I remember having a Vega when I was in college (boy am I old!). Compared to the Vega, the Elantra is ten inches longer, and has 147hp while the Vega had 90hp from an engine 15% larger. The Elantra seems to be averaging well over 40mpg, but the Vega rarely gave me more than 15mpg in mostly around town driving. My wife, when she was in her late teens, had a Mustang II hatch with the 2.3L tractor motor and 4 speed stick. Same size as the Vega, same 90 or so HP. What is amazing to me is how far cars evolved in 40 years. Today's midsize Elantra would be considered a "subcompact" if you could BackToTheFuture it to November 1975. Well, a subcompact with the same horsepower rating as a Chevy 350 with 2 barrel carb (they were 155 net in 1975).

Yes, an amazing car.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Everything is relative. My second car was a Pinto. I remember how excited I was and had no complaints except for the floor board below my feet rusting out.

I think they call that blissful ignorance. :grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts