Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue trim
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this one might be the oil pan leak I had fixed July a year ago. I see drips on my garage floor. I crawled up under the car today and took the aero under cover off (for the 4th time!) to see what's up. The oil pan leak repair is still holding. This is a new leak from somewhere in the transaxle. I can smell that it's transmission fluid that's leaking but can't identify from where exactly. It looks like it's leaking from more than one place.

When I had the oil pan leak repaired I lived 13 miles from the dealer. Now, the nearest dealer is 70 miles away. I wiped up all the oil and will leave the aero cover off for a few days as I try to better identify where the leak(s) is. I worry that major assemblies might have to be removed the fix this one. It's not cheap or easy to make trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Clean the panel and dry it off, minimal bolt it in place to catch and map drip location, from there it just a matter of aligning wet spot with component relative location to chassis, though just looking up for wet spot on component be just as useful

I love folks who come in and have job line for leak, up on rack, under cover dry and dusty, nothing come through cut outs, not your leak in parking spot

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's leaking back somewhere at the transfer case. I took a short drive and crawled back under for another look. I am still unable to identify the leak. I gave everything a good spray down with brake cleaner and I'm hoping to catch the leak when it first emerges at the source. Initially, lots of parts were wet with gear oil. No telling how much oil I'm missing...

Gas Auto part Automotive tire Engineering Composite material

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It's leaking back somewhere at the transfer case. I took a short drive and crawled back under for another look. I am still unable to identify the leak. I gave everything a good spray down with brake cleaner and I'm hoping to catch the leak when it first emerges at the source. Initially, lots of parts were wet with gear oil. No telling how much oil I'm missing...
Bad part is, 2 simple spoon full of gear oil on hot parts will just keep filming out and not drip, need good hard leak to try and see where it flow from

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
117 Posts
My understanding is the gearbox is not serviceable and not checkable for level. I'd recommend calling the dealer to inform them of the leak to serve as 'official' notice that continued driving could lead to catastrophic failure.
There's a report on this forum or the other of complaint of an irksome noise or shifting quirk of some sort that did not sound that serious. So it was certainly surprising hearing that the fix from the dealer turned out, "Oh, we simply replaced the whole transmission." :oops: Perhaps there's a known manufacturing issue that's 'quietly' being attended.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My understanding is the gearbox is not serviceable and not checkable for level. I'd recommend calling the dealer to inform them of the leak to serve as 'official' notice that continued driving could lead to catastrophic failure.
There's a report on this forum or the other of complaint of an irksome noise or shifting quirk of some sort that did not sound that serious. So it was certainly surprising hearing that the fix from the dealer turned out, "Oh, we simply replaced the whole transmission." :oops: Perhaps there's a known manufacturing issue that's 'quietly' being attended.
There is drain and fill plugs on our transmissions, dont buy into the sealed sob story, how you think I fill them when I install them or service at mileage interval ?

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
117 Posts
There is drain and fill plugs on our transmissions, dont buy into the sealed sob story, how you think I fill them when I install them or service at mileage interval ?
Well I'll Be Hornschwaggled! I recall the 'Not Serviceable' part about this new tranny, but now I imagine it's just the dipstick that's been omitted. You mention servicing at mileage interval, but the transmission shows up nowhere listed in the owner manual under Normal Maint. Schedule. However, it does appear under the Severe Usage Conditions chart as plain flatout replacement every 60k miles. Glad you mentioned it, and now I can add that to all my other self-performed maint. I just need to find the accurate capacity.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Paper product

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well I'll Be Hornschwaggled! I recall the 'Not Serviceable' part about this new tranny, but now I imagine it's just the dipstick that's been omitted. You mention servicing at mileage interval, but the transmission shows up nowhere listed in the owner manual under Normal Maint. Schedule. However, it does appear under the Severe Usage Conditions chart as plain flatout replacement every 60k miles. Glad you mentioned it, and now I can add that to all my other self-performed maint. I just need to find the accurate capacity.

View attachment 476770
Clue me in for what we driving and transmission so I can hit shop manual to get appropriate transmission info, let me have last 8 of VIN to ID chassis ( NX4 / NX4A / NX4 HEV / NX4 PHEV)

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
117 Posts
My ride is in my sig line, and I was going to poke around either some Hyundai sites or just general search for that capacity. And you reminded me I have to confirm the spec as I had assumed the came Dexron VI as every other car I own, or have owned for the past several decades. A shop manual is likely even better for all that.
'22 Tucson ICE AWD SEL Conv./Prem.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My ride is in my sig line, and I was going to poke around either some Hyundai sites or just general search for that capacity. And you reminded me I have to confirm the spec as I had assumed the came Dexron VI as every other car I own, or have owned for the past several decades. A shop manual is likely even better for all that.
'22 Tucson ICE AWD SEL Conv./Prem.
Service site dont list 22 Tucson "ICE"

My choices is -
Tucson (NX4)
Tucson (NX4A)
Tucson hybrid (NX4 HEV)
Tucson PHEV (NX4 PHEV)

Can I get last 8 of VIN to ID model code from HYUNDAI,, help me help you

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
117 Posts
Sorry, ICE is just the slang for the 2.5NA gas internal combustion engine = NX4 Tucson.

NX4 is the ICE model. NX4A is the Santa Cruz.
I had not come across the (NX4A) nomenclature before now, but always good picking up more n more manoofakchure-speak to learn the ropes. Makes me wonder if while Tucson and Santa Fe are entirely different models that they in fact share way more 'architecture' or 'platform' than presumed on face value.

·
Registered
458 Posts
From everything I have read, it is just a drain and fill. I would start by taking the fill plug off. 2) Drain the transmission and measure the amount that drained. Clean the magnet on the drain plug and replace. 3) Refill with the same amount you removed, plus a few ounces. Replace plug. 4) Start the car and run it through the gears (parked) a few times. 5) Drive a few minutes to bring the transmission temperature up. 6) Making sure the car is level, slowly remove the level check plug on the side cover of the transmission. Let it drain to a tiny stream. If none comes out, slowly add more until it just starts to come out of the overflow plug. If the fluid was particularly dirty, or looked or smelled burned, I would repeat the process.

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
117 Posts
From everything I have read, it is just a drain and fill. I would start by taking the fill plug off. 2) Drain the transmission and measure the amount that drained. Clean the magnet on the drain plug and replace. 3) Refill with the same amount you removed, plus a few ounces. Replace plug. 4) Start the car and run it through the gears (parked) a few times. 5) Drive a few minutes to bring the transmission temperature up. 6) Making sure the car is level, slowly remove the level check plug on the side cover of the transmission. Let it drain to a tiny stream. If none comes out, slowly add more until it just starts to come out of the overflow plug. If the fluid was particularly dirty, or looked or smelled burned, I would repeat the process.
No. Just no. You mean the whole process for proper periodic maint. is no more complicated than 100 years ago for rear ends simply to yank the cover plate, drain and measure for baseline, re-install and then refill until some starts dripping out the fill hole ? ?????? Oh, how far we've come. Them crafty Koreans learning all our tricks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The only difference with Hyundai's drain and fill and manufacturers like Honda is that there is no dipstick. Hyundai's design might not allow for an easy location for a dipstick, but I think the level check hole is better. I always have trouble checking the level on my Honda Element because the range between low and high is so small, it is hard to read.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I messed with this all Saturday afternoon and I still can't identify the leak absolutely. Very frustrating. I did make some progress in that I know where the leak isn't. It's not in the drain or fill plugs. It's not in the rear seal or side output seal. It's most likely the inner seal around the shaft that mates to the transmission. Could be the transmission side that's leaking but the fluid smells more like gear oil than ATF to me. I could be wrong. It could be a cracked case. In any case, I'm pretty sure the transfer case will have to be removed to troubleshoot further and I'm not going to get into all that. My hope was to have the leak positively identified and I could call the dealer and tell them what I've found. They could order whatever parts needed, and I could drive over there and get the repair done in one trip. It's looking like a 2 trip minimum repair now.

If the transfer case is leaking, and I can't get in for an appt. soon, I'll probably have to top up the transfer case just for peace of mind. It only holds about 1/2 qt of fluid.

Automotive tire Automotive design Cylinder Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
117 Posts
Laudable effort there. You're certainly building a headwind of detail that compels the dealer's attention, and likely saved yourself the first dozen bouts of their, "They all do that, it's normal", "We're scheduling 6 weeks out for appointments", "The part is not available from the factory", or 3 appointments with no more than "Can't replicate owner's complaint."

And even if the dealer has low inertia to continue on with benefit of just your research, have you used your having documented an actual leak to initiate a case with Hyundai Care or whatever they're called?

And great idea 'topping off' the fluid. Getting a replacement seal for either (if that's it) has got to be way easier than getting either complete unit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I messed with this all Saturday afternoon and I still can't identify the leak absolutely. Very frustrating. I did make some progress in that I know where the leak isn't. It's not in the drain or fill plugs. It's not in the rear seal or side output seal. It's most likely the inner seal around the shaft that mates to the transmission. Could be the transmission side that's leaking but the fluid smells more like gear oil than ATF to me. I could be wrong. It could be a cracked case. In any case, I'm pretty sure the transfer case will have to be removed to troubleshoot further and I'm not going to get into all that. My hope was to have the leak positively identified and I could call the dealer and tell them what I've found. They could order whatever parts needed, and I could drive over there and get the repair done in one trip. It's looking like a 2 trip minimum repair now.

If the transfer case is leaking, and I can't get in for an appt. soon, I'll probably have to top up the transfer case just for peace of mind. It only holds about 1/2 qt of fluid.

View attachment 476807
You had better service that transfer case very very regularly with that little fluid amount! Is it right by the exhaust like on the Fords?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts