Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. For the next 6 months I'm going to driving about 1000km a week. The 2 dealers I have called insist I need 6 mo or 6000km service intervals unless I change to synthetic. I'm really trying to avoid every 6 week oil changes as I don't have the time. Question is, can I go longer without voiding my warranty? I've read on here people going longer than that. Thanks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Question is, can I go longer without voiding my warranty?
I think you realize if you have any problems you will most probably have to fight for warranty service after being warned by two dealers.

For what oil does for your engine its cheap, get synthetic oil. Even if you don't you probably won't have any problems but the risk as usual is on you. I prefer to take my risks else where on cheaper to replace parts.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Dunno about your Hyundai warranty but in the US per Hyundai the oil change stated is 7500 miles for the interval which is 12070.1 KM

You would have to check the owners manual of yours to determine what "Severe Usage" means specifically as noted with the * in the above image. Based on the numbers they are telling you they are considering it Severe Usage.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If you read it most use is considered severe. Not saying its right but I don't have any problem with complying to 6 months or 4 thousand mile intervals. IMO oil is cheap.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Hey guys. For the next 6 months I'm going to driving about 1000km a week. The 2 dealers I have called insist I need 6 mo or 6000km service intervals unless I change to synthetic. I'm really trying to avoid every 6 week oil changes as I don't have the time. Question is, can I go longer without voiding my warranty? I've read on here people going longer than that. Thanks.
Switch to synthetic and a 12000 interval. If you DIY the oil change cost is quite reasonable. If not you should be able get it done for $50-75.

·
Registered
911 Posts
So $75 for oil or about a grand for a short block without installation. Also not including lost time and aggravation that no one has time for.

Elantra 1993-95 1836cc G4CN engine
  • 1.8L F.I. 16-valve DOHC 4 complete engine - $1786.55 CEHY1
  • 1.8L F.I. 16-valve DOHC 4 short block - $939.26 SBHY1
  • Plus $140.00 - $165.00 freight
Hyundai engines & short blocks

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the service interval for hyundais differs per model. for example, my accent is 12,000kms (if not severe) where a slightly newer elantra is 6,000kms (going on memory, may be 7k. you get the point.)

the issue here is your warranty. you don't want them trying to void it by going outside of the maintenance schedule. forget when its due or what oil you use, keeping your warranty should be the #1 issue here.

the problem is using synthetic isn't going to change the fact that you are going outside of the schedule!

before anyone gets their panties in a knot, i'm not saying that synthetic can't go longer drain intervals. it can. fully agree. however, going beyond what is stated in the OM is giving the dealer a way to void the warranty. according to the OM, oil is oil. there is a minimum spec and there are no provisions for using a higher quality oil such as synthetic.

just something to think about before you make any decisions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts