Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to visit my daughter over the thanksgiving holiday. Took the Sonata.
Went from Bradenton FL to Woodridge IL. It was about 2500 miles round trip. Coming back, had my
son so we alternated driving and never stopped (except from bathroom breaks and gas). The Sonata just cruised for about 20 hours
down I65, I24, and I75. As usual was smooth as silk. Was pretty cool to end up using both the AC and the heat in the same trip!!
Only had one problem on the entire trip.
When we started back I noticed the cruise control would not come on. This seemed strange and I suspected a fuse. Everything else
worked OK though so that argued against a fuse. When we made our first stop I noticed the brake lights were stuck on! Pressing and releasing
the brake pedal had no effect. Light just stayed on. Now if the car thought the brake pedal was depressed it would make sense that the cruise control
wouldn't come on (since pressing the brake disengages it). Did some googling (thank god for cell phones with browsers) and found that the
brake light switch is behind the firewall up on the brake lever. Crawled under there and noticed that the top of the lever did not make contact
with the switch. When the plunger on the switch is all the way out the brake lights are supposed to be on. When the brake returns from being depressed the lever
is supposed to push the plunger on the switch turning off the brake lights. The switch was too far back in its bracket. Nudged it forward a little and now the brake
lever made contact with the switch. The caused the brake lights to finally turn off (and as I discovered when back on the road fixed the problem
with the cruise control not coming on). So what could have caused the brake light switch to move???? I had used the cruise control all the way up
with no problem. Now we had a couple of pretty cold nights in IL and the car was parked outside. I suspect that the cold stiffened up the switch and
the first time I used the brake on that cold morning heading home, when the brake lever returned instead of closing the plunger on the switch it
pushed the whole switch back slightly (just enough to keep the lever from coming in contact with the plunger). Anyway, once I pushed the switch
back forward a little it was all good. Gonna keep any eye on it just in case, but it will be a long time before it is subjected to that kind of cold again
since it's back in FL. All in all, not much to complain about. Gotta get another oil change though. Love this car!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Had a few where the switch' lock nuts come loose and switch get out of align/sideways where lights stay on...

Had 1 that the nylon pad on the pedal that depress the plunger rotted and fell off... I did not notice it until I install new swtch and could not adjust clearance right.. Out came a piece of stick on wheel weight for new pad, and some RTV to make sure it not move in future.

Did you have any problems up 65 north of Indy to the 80/90 split ? See pics ... :whistling:

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, got stuck in that mess on the way up and an even bigger one on on I75 in GA just south of the Tenn state line.
A semi jack-knifed and hit a van.
Had some injuries, but fortunately nobody was killed. It was so bad, we just called it a night and got off the interstate
and spent the night in a place called Ringgold GA.

On the way up, it was so rainy and foggy that we didn't see the windmills! Saw them on the way back though. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the advice on the switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts