Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started experiencing random "comm error" and "error loading" with my 6-generation iTouch and my 2011 Santa Fe Limited (Infinity audio system), all while using the Hyundai provided standard connection cord. Previously, the iTouch worked perfectly in this car and still works fine in my 2nd vehicle, which is a 2012 Santa Fe Limited (Infinity audio / Nav system). Problems seem to have started shortly after updating iTouch to most recent Apple software version 11.2.1. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow software regression to previous versions. Is anyone else seeing trouble with the new software? Random errors occur; I can get it to work for a little bit, but if I use the steering wheel controls to advance the songs or try to change playlists, etc. using Infinity audio controls I get a 'comm error'. I have a 2nd Hyundai cord from my 2012 Santa Fe and errors occur with it as well when used in the 2011 vehicle, so I'm sure it's not a cord/connection issue. And because the iTouch works fine in the 2012 Santa Fe it seems to be a conflict with the 2011 firmware?? Is there anyway to update the firmware in the Santa Fe? Am I missing something here? I've read about other iPod/Santa Fe connection issues in these forums, but this seems to be a little bit different maybe?? Appreciate any suggestions.​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
Apple keeps changing things and their software. Radio manufactures don't do updates. Rare if they do but only if a current year maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still experiencing errors with my iTouch connection. In fact, the error(s) often occur simply by pushing the 'Random' button on the radio, I don't even need to use one of the radio controls on the steering wheel. When I push that button, I get a "Comm Error" statement and the iTouch disconnects. Attempts to reconnect by pulling out and replugging in the Hyundai iPod cord don't work and simply generate a "Error Loading". I'm wondering how I would know if the problem is a bad USB connector on the Santa Fe? Is there any sort of diagnostic test to determine that? It continues to seem strange that the iTouch works perfectly on a 2012 Santa Fe but experiences these problems on my 2011. Does anyone have any suggestions of things to try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: turns out that this issue is wide-spread and almost certainly due to Apple software updates. Even a casual reading on the internet will turn up hundreds of others with the same or similar issues. If you have an iTouch with IOS version 10 you are OK. If you have IOS version 11 you have problems. Recently, Apple released iPod software version 11.3.0 and an initial trial with my iPod touch suggests that the issue is resolved with this version. I'll post back if I have issues again, but several times today I've tested it out and I'm no longer having any trouble with communication errors or disconnections. Everything appears to be working again... Hope everyone else experiences the same resolution!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I found a few tricks with this. I have a 2011 Santa Fe GLS 2.4 AWD, has the iPod function. Have an iPhone XS Max, and sometimes when I plug it in, it will give me an error. I found if I have other apps, ex Youtube, audible, etc. running in the background, that will make it fail. I also had better luck if the phone was locked and the screen black, or if I unlocked it, went to music and started playing a song, then connected it. It's kind of random, and I've even resorted to turning my phone off and back on. I drive 3 hours straight most weekends to head home, and being able to change the song and information via the steering wheel is something I wouldn't give up for anything. I also find the audio quality so much better when using a wired connection rather than bluetooth, but that's just me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
I've had Bluetooth connectivity problems but my situation is different. My new Samsung Galaxy J7 Refine phone worked fine from getting it in late December until around the end of January. When the OS was updated I suddenly couldn't keep it paired with the sound system in my '12 Limited. Clearing Bluetooth and system cache and rebooting daily didn't help. I finally cleared Bluetooth cache, Bluetooth data, rebooted into the troubleshooting menu and cleared system cache (again), and rebooted. That was more than two weeks ago and so far it's stayed paired.

I started a thread about this problem a while back. If it's still working by the end of this month, I'm calling it fixed and will post more detailed procedures for anybody else having similar problems.

Since you have Apple devices cabled to the sound system I don't know if there's a similar condition here but I wanted to throw this out there in case it might help.
.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top