Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this 2001 Accent. Low mileage at about 65,000. (although the car sat, unused, for about 9 months)

Anyway on to the tranny issue. The tranny just doesn't run smooth. At times, from a dead stop, it will start in gear with a small pop/hump. Driving down a level staright road, the shifting seems smooth enough until it gets into overdrive gear and then it starts to lug. I need to increase the accelerator pedal to make it snap out of this lugging and pick up speed.

If this were any other car, I would say to myself that the tranny may be going but with this Accent and the history I've read of it having a crappy tranny, I'm honestly not sure if it's just a poor engineering issue, maybe something to do with the onboard computer that monitors it or the tranny slowly going.

Can anyone else relate to what I'm describing? Thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Short of replacing the transmission all together. I'd use the Auto-RX product in your automatic transmission first.

It sounds like the friction plates in your transmission are slipping. Mostly likely due to the fluid settling in the transmission after sitting for so long. Leaving a portion of the friction plate material exposed to dry out. I've seen this happen to one of my cars. An Audi that sat for over a year. An automatic transmission needs to be used to keep the friction plate material saturated in fluid. As the material wears off it travels through the fluid circuits and clogs small passages in the valve body causing banging when shifting. The Auto-RX product will clean out the valve body but the transmission might still need a rebuild to replace the friction plates. You'll have to find out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This might be a long shot, but are you anywhere near Austin, TX? I can give you the rebuilt transmission (maybe 8,000 miles since the rebuild) for maybe $300-400.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (MBtech79 @ Oct 21 2010, 02:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365218
Short of replacing the transmission all together. I'd use the Auto-RX product in your automatic transmission first.

It sounds like the friction plates in your transmission are slipping. Mostly likely due to the fluid settling in the transmission after sitting for so long. Leaving a portion of the friction plate material exposed to dry out. I've seen this happen to one of my cars. An Audi that sat for over a year. An automatic transmission needs to be used to keep the friction plate material saturated in fluid. As the material wears off it travels through the fluid circuits and clogs small passages in the valve body causing banging when shifting. The Auto-RX product will clean out the valve body but the transmission might still need a rebuild to replace the friction plates. You'll have to find out.
I was hoping replacement of the transmission wouldn't be the case. I've been reading info in regards to the "pulse generator" and "throttle position sensor" creating negatives with this transmission. I'll look more into the Auto-Rx that you mentioned, as of now, I've never heard of it.

QUOTE (nick944 @ Oct 21 2010, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365251
This might be a long shot, but are you anywhere near Austin, TX? I can give you the rebuilt transmission (maybe 8,000 miles since the rebuild) for maybe $300-400.
No, I'm on th east coast and besides, I would wait until this piece of crap kicked the bucket before shelling out for a rebuilt tranny. ****, i may even dump this piece of junk if that does happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts