Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed an annoying noise while driving my 2007 Santa Fe GLS 3.3 AWD. It is a winding noise that gets louder when you pick up speed and becomes quieter when you slow down. This has nothing to do with the brakes because when I press the brakes, the noise remains just becomes more subtle as the vehicle slows down. I do not notice any performance issues but I want to take care of this problem before I go on a long trip or lose my sanity. Which ever comes first. LOL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you describe at all where the sound seems to be coming from?
Based on your initial description, I'd be thinking wheel bearing or maybe CV joint. If it's still in warranty get it in...if it is one of those things, it's very easy to diagnose once it's on a ramp.

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (Haith @ Jul 6 2010, 09:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339195
Can you describe at all where the sound seems to be coming from?
Based on your initial description, I'd be thinking wheel bearing or maybe CV joint. If it's still in warranty get it in...if it is one of those things, it's very easy to diagnose once it's on a ramp.
I had a bearing go once on a plymouth breeze. The noise would become more evident as I turned in one direction verses another or going straight. Like you mentioned it was pretty heinous at highway speed. If you're up for it you can also check the CVjoint boots for signs of cracks or leaks.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My Santa Fe used to make an annoying whining noise every time I accelerated, but it turned out to be my wife and... oh, sorry. You said "winding". :grin:

I'm guessing bad wheel bearing or (less likely) transmission defect. Check your tranny fluid, and then see your dealer. Let us know the result.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar if not the same problem with my 2007 Santa Fe. The noise I 'm hearing is more of a subtle howl or roar vice whining. The sound gets louder as you pick up speed and quieter as you slow down. It seems to really howl at about 50 mph. The vehicle has 42,000 miles on it. The brakes and tires are the original sets that came with the vehicle new and both look to be in fair shape. I checked the transmission fluid level and it is fine. I haven't noticed any grease or oil leaks on the garage floor. Quite honestly, I'm a little baffled. I thought about pulling the wheels off and removing the calipers from the rotors to check more thoroughly. However, the rotors just looking at them with the tires on, look fine. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts