Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took my car to the dealership for it's first oil change yesterday. After, she mentioned there was an oil smell inside the car. We took the car out that night, and indeed there was a pretty strong oil smell. I was hoping it was something that would just wear off, but by the time we got home the oil smell was still there. Not that I know much about cars, but I decided to pop the hood to see if there was anything obvious. Sure enough there was something pretty obvious. When I went to unlatch the hood, I felt the oil cap sitting right next to the latch - that's right, THEY FORGOT TO PUT THE OIL CAP BACK ON. So I dropped the car back off at 9:30 this morning, they said they'd clean it and redo the oil change, and it would take 1 1/2-2 hours. When I hadn't heard from them by 3:30, I called them. They said they're just washing it and to come pick it up at 4. I get there around 4:15 and they tell me they're still washing it. It was finally ready around 4:40, over 7 hours after I dropped it off. When I asked for my money back for the original oil change and tire rotation, the service manager said he was only authorized to give me the money back for the oil change, and I have to call back Monday if I want all of my money back. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed with the whole experience.

But wait, there's more. Before I left, I checked out the car, popped the hood, everything seemed ok. Got home, and somehow there's a huge streak of oil on my hood and down the fender. I called the dealership back and asked what exactly they did, and how that could've happened. The service manager basically just said to call back on Monday and talk to his boss.

Anyway, what do you think is reasonable to ask for? I want them to give me my money back for the tire rotation. Would the oil on the hood/fender do any damage to the paint (I did wash it as soon as I got home and noticed it). I'm starting to think I should ask them to detail my car, but I don't know if I'm going overboard. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (joecd04475 @ Sep 25 2010, 05:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358756
My wife took my car to the dealership for it's first oil change yesterday. After, she mentioned there was an oil smell inside the car. We took the car out that night, and indeed there was a pretty strong oil smell. I was hoping it was something that would just wear off, but by the time we got home the oil smell was still there. Not that I know much about cars, but I decided to pop the hood to see if there was anything obvious. Sure enough there was something pretty obvious. When I went to unlatch the hood, I felt the oil cap sitting right next to the latch - that's right, THEY FORGOT TO PUT THE OIL CAP BACK ON. So I dropped the car back off at 9:30 this morning, they said they'd clean it and redo the oil change, and it would take 1 1/2-2 hours. When I hadn't heard from them by 3:30, I called them. They said they're just washing it and to come pick it up at 4. I get there around 4:15 and they tell me they're still washing it. It was finally ready around 4:40, over 7 hours after I dropped it off. When I asked for my money back for the original oil change and tire rotation, the service manager said he was only authorized to give me the money back for the oil change, and I have to call back Monday if I want all of my money back. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed with the whole experience.

But wait, there's more. Before I left, I checked out the car, popped the hood, everything seemed ok. Got home, and somehow there's a huge streak of oil on my hood and down the fender. I called the dealership back and asked what exactly they did, and how that could've happened. The service manager basically just said to call back on Monday and talk to his boss.

Anyway, what do you think is reasonable to ask for? I want them to give me my money back for the tire rotation. Would the oil on the hood/fender do any damage to the paint (I did wash it as soon as I got home and noticed it). I'm starting to think I should ask them to detail my car, but I don't know if I'm going overboard. What would you guys do?

I dont see what the tire rotation has to do with it. Id just go in, talk to the service manager, and ask him what HE is willing to do. Maybe he will give you the next oil change free. Or, maybe you never want to go back to that dealer again. ;)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would personally not even bother and just find a new dealer for future service. Doesnt look like these guys know what they are doing. You can ask them to clean the car but you risk further damage. Especially if one tech gets yelled at he may decide to take it out on your car during the wash. You can ask for money back on the rotation but I have a feeling they will fight that as the oil change is what they messed up on and tgey are already going to refund that part of it.

Best thing you can do is let hyundai know in their customer satisfacttion survey. Dealers privately settling with customers dont fix the way dealers operate. If hyundai comes down on them is when they will change their way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Sep 25 2010, 06:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358758
I dont see what the tire rotation has to do with it. Id just go in, talk to the service manager, and ask him what HE is willing to do. Maybe he will give you the next oil change free. Or, maybe you never want to go back to that dealer again. ;)
Yea, I realize the tire rotation has nothing to do with it. But honestly, I think I should get some kind of compensation for this whole experience (besides just getting my money back for the oil change). Unfortunately, the dealership is 1/2 hour away, so it was an extra hour of driving my car there and back, and an extra 2 hours of driving my wife's car (she had to make 2 trips - one to drop my car off, and one to pick it up). All this because they forgot to put my oil cap back on. And yes, I will be looking for a different dealership for my next oil change :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Souks @ Sep 25 2010, 06:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358759
I would personally not even bother and just find a new dealer for future service. Doesnt look like these guys know what they are doing. You can ask them to clean the car but you risk further damage. Especially if one tech gets yelled at he may decide to take it out on your car during the wash. You can ask for money back on the rotation but I have a feeling they will fight that as the oil change is what they messed up on and tgey are already going to refund that part of it.

Best thing you can do is let hyundai know in their customer satisfacttion survey. Dealers privately settling with customers dont fix the way dealers operate. If hyundai comes down on them is when they will change their way.
Maybe you're right. I'm definitely going to at least call on Monday to see what they say. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE (joecd04475 @ Sep 25 2010, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358762
Maybe you're right. I'm definitely going to at least call on Monday to see what they say. We'll see what happens.
I'm not sure where you live, but where I live we have discount tire and thats where I get all my tire maintenance done. There are locations in a bunch of states. They have a lifetime road hazard tire warranty for new car tires as well and also lifetime rotation and balance that will run you about $150 total (on my SE Hankooks) and if you talk to them a little you should be able t get it down to about $135 or so. I hate giving the stealership my money, especially when they do shoddy work like this, unless it's for warranty work. They take forever to do anything and what makes me even more irritated is I once caught my service dept. watching youtube videos while I was waiting for them to finish my work!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
It amazes me how bad some dealerships can be but it makes me count my blessings that I have a great one less than 5 miles from my house. I took my new SF in for a brief and mysterious grinding noise and while they didn't find anything, the tech lost my keys. I'm not sure how this happened but oh well. I got a brand new key, fob and programming done for free, no arguing, no fight. They owned up to their mistake and fixed it and if you ask me, that's how things should be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am very happy with my dealers service dept.
First 8 L.O.F.'s are free, I can go in any time Mon. thru Fri. and get a free car wash.
They are friendly and efficient.
Did the L.O.F, fixed my sunglasses holder, checked my alignment, did the steering column recall issue in 1-1/2 hours.

I'll go back to them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No matter where you go there is a chance that this will always happen. The problem is that most dealerships have a set time for each car to get in and out of the bay. This in turn causes techs to screw-up because they are under the gun to get it done. No matter what, if a person doesn't take their time to complete any job, there is a higher probability of something being missed.

Before I started to do my own maintenance, you couldn't imagine the missing parts that I found missing on our various cars; missing pushpins, brake pad shims installed incorrectly, missing rubber dampeners, broken wheel studs, and belts that were supposed to have been replaced but weren't are things I can think of.

It's sad but unless you do the repairs yourself, you can't be 100% assured that is done correctly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow. what a shoddy dealer. If you took the car in for Oil and a tire rotation, i don't see a problem in asking for compensation for both considering all the trouble you went through. However, they may only come back with the oil because that is what was messed (i take it the tires were ok?)

either way, that would bemy last dealings with them. If they give you the run around like that, i wouldn't trust them for service anymore. I went to a new garage when i moved, and they were ok, up till the end, did some run around, and i'm not there anymore. (granded it was my last car and i take the new one to the dealer) The dealer shop hasn't let me down yet. Nice clean organized workshop. employees look like they are doing things right. nice observation area to see them working. once i'm back in town, i'll have to take the car in for a change/recall. we'll see how it goes.

and as for how the places are staffed, usuallyl the "new" guys get the "normal/easy" jobs of oil changes/tires. unfortunately those are just as important as brakes, engines and the like. and yes, the more you ar epressured to complete on time, the more mistakes are made.

so yeah, i'd see what i can get refunded, and get another dealer. File a report with the BBB. I used them to steer me away from the shady Dealer down the street from my apt, and to the one near my work place.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You'll always hear stories like this, be it Hyundai, Lexus, BMW, etc. If you're so inclined, you'd be much better off doing that yourself.

By the way, I'd check that your drain plug is not leaking folks. Mine was due to my oilpan not being perfectly straight plus a super hard 'crush' washer. Was able to stop it by tightening the drain bolt to the high end of the factory spec, but it's too darn tight IMO. Next time I'll install a Honda crush washer (much more maleable) so I don't have to tighten the bolt that much (just the way I've been doing it for 25+ years). Just remove the drain plug access door and run your fingers to make sure it's dry there; no need to lift the car for that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Sep 27 2010, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359156
You'll always hear stories like this, be it Hyundai, Lexus, BMW, etc. If you're so inclined, you'd be much better off doing that yourself.
I agree with this. I used to work in a BMW dealership service department, both behind the counter and under the cars, and *nobody* is perfect...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took my Sonata for the first oil change and everything went well. Because of the bad past experiences I took an extra 5 minutes and checked the work they done. Before I drove the car I checked the oil level and made sure that the little access panel under the car is back in place. I am checking everything to make sure everything is OK. The technicians can care less about your car and they have the "I am sorry" just in case they messed up and they do very often At least that is my experience.[/quote]

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (joecd04475 @ Sep 25 2010, 07:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358761
Yea, I realize the tire rotation has nothing to do with it. But honestly, I think I should get some kind of compensation for this whole experience (besides just getting my money back for the oil change). Unfortunately, the dealership is 1/2 hour away, so it was an extra hour of driving my car there and back, and an extra 2 hours of driving my wife's car (she had to make 2 trips - one to drop my car off, and one to pick it up). All this because they forgot to put my oil cap back on. And yes, I will be looking for a different dealership for my next oil change :)
You're getting compensation - you're getting another oil change, and a car wash.
Maybe they should offer you a new car? You're being totally unreasonable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just chaulk it up to another Lesson In Life Learned, and move on.

Don't go back there, it's easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
472 Posts
QUOTE (joecd04475 @ Sep 25 2010, 06:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358756

What's reasonable is never to go back to that service dept. and report them to Hyundai of America.

·
Registered
472 Posts
QUOTE (npolite @ Sep 26 2010, 10:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359020
No matter where you go there is a chance that this will always happen. The problem is that most dealerships have a set time for each car to get in and out of the bay. This in turn causes techs to screw-up because they are under the gun to get it done. No matter what, if a person doesn't take their time to complete any job, there is a higher probability of something being missed.

Before I started to do my own maintenance, you couldn't imagine the missing parts that I found missing on our various cars; missing pushpins, brake pad shims installed incorrectly, missing rubber dampeners, broken wheel studs, and belts that were supposed to have been replaced but weren't are things I can think of.

It's sad but unless you do the repairs yourself, you can't be 100% assured that is done correctly.
I worked for a service dept. It was only for a few weeks but, I can tell you this, it is not the dealer who sets time limits, it's the tech who does. He get's paid on how much work he does for a given day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Deech @ Sep 30 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359898
I worked for a service dept. It was only for a few weeks but, I can tell you this, it is not the dealer who sets time limits, it's the tech who does. He get's paid on how much work he does for a given day.

While this may be true at some, I've heard at other dealerships that it is much different. Can you imagine one tech if he tied up a bay for 2 hrs doing an oil change?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your lucky they cleaned your car.

They usually leave oil stains all over mine and I have to wash them off!

Ask for a free oil change in the future; that is what I got (w/ no pushback) when they put on a defective gasket and the car leaked until I could get it back to them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last time I had my oil changed, they splashed oil all over the engine compartment and filled it too full. The cap was on, but there was dots of oil everywhere. I complained to them, and the service manager called me the next day and promised that was not going to happen again. I have another change due, so I guess I'll see if he's right.
At least they put the oil cap back on mine! That REALLY would've chapped my hide!

They claim to have all certified mechanics, but even a dipstick can become certified. (no offense to those mechanics that are diligent on their work). I'm certified in Cisco and Microsoft, but that doesn't magically keep me from being an idiot. ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts