Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a clue of whats going on, and this is the 3rd time this car has done it. The hand brake dash light comes on during startup, like its suppose to, but, for no apparent reason, it doesn't go off. And it only does it when it feels like it. To make it go out, I only need to cut the car off, wait a few seconds, and then restart. However, yesterday, it didn't work that way. I had to shut the car off 3 different times before the light went out.
The last time, I pumped the brakes before starting, once the car started, the peddle when down a bit, and the light went off when all the others turned off after the car does its startup test. I've checked my vin for recalls, and there isn't one for mine.
This thing has a mind of its own from time to time. I'm wondering if it has to do with the brake assist issue on other Elantra's.

Next time it does it, I'll try to get some video.

·
Registered
982 Posts
+1 on checking the brake reservoir.
That light that you refer to as the "hand brake dash light," is actually the Parking Brake & Brake Fluid Warning Light. It turns on when you have the handbrake on, but it also turns on when you have low brake fluid.
From the owner's manual:
Parking Brake & Brake Fluid Warning Light
Driving the vehicle with a warning light ON is dangerous. If the Parking Brake & Brake Fluid Warning Light illuminates with the parking brake released, it indicates that the brake fluid level is low.
There is more helpful information in your owner's manual, about how to check the brake fluid, what fluid to use, and how to add it.

Reactions: joegr

·
Registered
163 Posts
...That light that you refer to as the "hand brake dash light," is actually the Parking Brake & Brake Fluid Warning Light. It turns on when you have the handbrake on, but it also turns on when you have low brake fluid...

On turbo models, it also turns on if a fault is detected with the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brake fluid checked, and full. I get 5 notches on the hand brake. Raising it, or lowering it has no effect on the light.
Like I said, it has a mind of its own. As today, I couldn't get it to do it at all, after 4 stops/starts. But, I did notice something else thats really strange.
And, I don't know if this is correct or not, but, I find it strange.
Start car, all lights check at startup.
All lights go off
Including the seat belt light, that I have yet to buckle up.
After doing so, if I unbuckle, the light comes on.

I always thought, when starting the car, the seat belt light, and the chime will keep going, till you buckle up. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,846 Posts
The sensor is mounted on the master cylinder. Maybe a wire is shorting out?

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Right! That could be a sign that the brake fluid level is low.

If it's low you have a problem. No reason, other than a leak, that it would be low. Why not take it to the dealer? It's under warranty?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan it,, see if anything hiding in a module somewhere

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's low you have a problem. No reason, other than a leak, that it would be low. Why not take it to the dealer? It's under warranty?
yeap, it is. Monday morning. I just hate having to goto a dealership, and waiting, just for them to say, "we can't find any issues". 4 hours later.

But, Monday, its going in. I hope today, when I drive it later, that I can actually catch it on video.

So, I'll have proof, that there is a problem.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
yeap, it is. Monday morning. I just hate having to goto a dealership, and waiting, just for them to say, "we can't find any issues". 4 hours later.

But, Monday, its going in. I hope today, when I drive it later, that I can actually catch it on video.

Proof is good.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Why not just night drop the thing tonight (night drop box),, or have shuttle take you home ??

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not just night drop the thing tonight (night drop box),, or have shuttle take you home ??
I'm 22 miles away from this dealership. (its the closest).
At least I can walk to some good eats while waiting to see what they say. So, thats a plus in my book.

·
Registered
982 Posts

Have you looked at the level in the brake fluid reservoir? I would think you should not need to video your dash while driving if they observe that the fluid is low. If the fluid is low, there is a problem, and they will figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it was a brake switch, do to a bad pin in the connector. Part was in stock, and replaced.
They also found my seat belt problem was a open short in drivers side seat belt buckle sensor. They had to order that part.

Here's my service work ticket.

Here's the video of the problem I was having with the parking brake. Maybe it'll come in handy, if someone else has this issue.

https://youtu.be/1ZHgs0yebkM

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
"Open Short" ??

Was it an "open circuit",, or was it a "short circuit" ??

Reactions: conqr and joegr

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No idea what he means by that, that came from the tech that worked on my car. The service adviser said that its suppose to be open, but for some reason, mine is closed. Causing the seat belt light to not display on my dash at engine startup. It comes on while going through the self check, but then goes out. Its not suppose to do that, if you have not clicked your seat belt in place yet. Its suppose to always be on, unless you have the seat belt on, and click into place. Once the seat belt is clicked, and then removed for some reason while the car is running, then the dash light works like its suppose to. Which would case the light to display.
This only happens when you get in the car, and start the car, then buckle up.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
"Open Short" ??

Was it an "open circuit",, or was it a "short circuit" ??
I've never seen such a convoluted repair order. What kind of tech calls the problem an open short. I know....one who needs to be trained. Idiotic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a follow up.. 2 days after this was done. The Parking Brake light came back on. I again went back to the dealership, and this time, they replaced a connector. Kept saying that each time he would press on it, the light would go out. But, let go, and the light would come back on. So, they replaced it. Light went out. Go get in the car, and, low and behold, the lights on again.

But, whatever it is, its stopped now. Its been 3 days, and I've yet to see a light come on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts