Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Samsung S9 running the Android 8.0.0. pretty much bone stock and not rooted.

When running Android Auto my phone gets really warm. Usually the only running apps are Waze and Google Music for streaming. Even more annoying is when I connect my phone it can have 90% battery life but by the time I reach my destination (lets say after a 45min drive) the phone will drop to 75% battery life. It makes no sense.

Anyone else experiencing this or similar?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The USB charge port at best will only maintain a charge while running maps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is your screen staying on when connected to AA? My phone (Honor 7x), doesn't get warm, and remains fully charged while navigating with AA, and screen off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My screen seems to stay on when using AA, unless i manually turn it off. So I have made a habit of connecting AA, then turning off the screen before I start driving. I don't experience any excessive heat on my Pixel 2 while using AA and playing music and using Google Maps. I have never used Waze on it. Wondering if Waze is possibly using alot of CPU cycles for some reason and thus causing heat and battery drain.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
850 Posts
IMO, Samsungs (although possibly all Android phones) especially using maps (Google or Waze) cause the phone to get extremely warm due to GPS and data transfers. And it sucks the lifeforce out of the batter compared to iPhone (I'm not saying iPhone the only way to go, I just know my iPhone 6s seems to have better battery life/management).

I wouldn't think the music would be that much of an issue, more likely the GPS/data for the maps, IMO. Although with the screen active it's probably not helping.

I'll have to borrow my roomate's Galaxy S8+ and hook it up and see how AA behaves (leaving the screen on).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Samsung S8 Active and would say this is normal for a Samsung phone, especially if you are running Waze/Google Maps and music. The phone feels warm and the battery does drain when using all the apps. My screen turns off when I plug AA so it doesn't drain the battery as much. I'll have to try it with the screen on and see how much it goes down. I try and make a habit of charging the phone before using AA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have not had that problem with the Pixel 2 XL(On 8.1.0)(The battery life crushes anything else I have seen)...tho I do not run Waze, just Google maps and Pandora streams. The 1A charge out of the USB is enough to charge to 100%. Its right in front of the AC vent so it stays cold.

Having said that I do not like Android auto and just plan on using my phone as I have done in the past..android auto and the nav system in the Sante Fe are wasted on me. BT is the only thing I need.

IMO, Samsungs (although possibly all Android phones) especially using maps (Google or Waze) cause the phone to get extremely warm due to GPS and data transfers. And it sucks the lifeforce out of the batter compared to iPhone (I'm not saying iPhone the only way to go, I just know my iPhone 6s seems to have better battery life/management).
As far the iphone 6S... I own one, The battery is brand new under Apples $30 replacement policy...It doesn't hold a candle to the Pixels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your screen staying on when connected to AA? My phone (Honor 7x), doesn't get warm, and remains fully charged while navigating with AA, and screen off.
No, I keep my screen off. I suspect its the USB and lack of throughput that's located on the SUV. It was worse when I had my S7. It got very very warm!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You'll want to purchase a 2.1 amp car USB charger. Most USB ports built into cars are 1 amp or less. Which can charge phones with screen off and nothing running, but with Waze and music going, 1 amp is not going to charge a phone like the S9. Try Anker OR Aukey

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
850 Posts
You'll want to purchase a 2.1 amp car USB charger. Most USB ports built into cars are 1 amp or less. Which can charge phones with screen off and nothing running, but with Waze and music going, 1 amp is not going to charge a phone like the S9. Try Anker OR Aukey
Anker makes good stuff.

However:
AA requires USB connection at least in most vehicles.

I don't know if you can buy a splitter that'll let you connect the single USB to the Anker charger and the other to the USB interface on the vehicle to get AA.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My note 8 does not get warm when using AA. It will also charge while using it, although it's a very slow charge. Maybe goes up 5% an hour.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

I wouldn't think the music would be that much of an issue, more likely the GPS/data for the maps, IMO. Although with the screen active it's probably not helping.

I'll have to borrow my roomate's Galaxy S8+ and hook it up and see how AA behaves (leaving the screen on).
i have a galaxy sky tracphone. i leave it plugged in(usb) and on. waze and google maps. when i start the car, waze/gm comes up. it only takes about 10 min to reach full charge, and if the car has been sitting(with phone on) for a few days, it will reach full charge in about 15 min, all the while still running waze/gm. it cost me 50 bucks, 1 year svc, 1500talk, 1000txt, 5gb data. i only use it for android auto, so data used is about 100mb/mo. when the time is up, i can buy another year of service for 49 bucks. 1gb data is 10 bucks. phone NEVER gets hot. music is played thru the radio, or off an sd card i have loaded in the unit. i am old and dumb, and i hate smart phones. i would think everyone would get a dedicated cheap phone for android auto. try doing the same thing for apple carplay.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anker makes good stuff.

However:
AA requires USB connection at least in most vehicles.

I don't know if you can buy a splitter that'll let you connect the single USB to the Anker charger and the other to the USB interface on the vehicle to get AA.
Thats right...I forgot about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts