• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's the one!
I know it says it supports USB, cam, mic... But it does not include the adapters for them and my Canadian model was not plug and play compatible for any of those features. SWC works no problem.
- my order also came with a second harness that is completely different. So there are obviously multiple applications that use this head unit with variations in wiring.

-note: for AA/Carplay support, you need to purchase their "dongle" for it and choose "built in" option. It will come built into the head unit that way and work with any USB port! But you have to add to cart separately.

Good find on that cheap GPS adapter! Not really necessary for me though:)

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up on the car play, that's annoying that the USB adaptor was left out I think this is it Dasaita USBZJX007 USB Adapter Connector for Kia Kx5 Sorento Sonata OEM Car Radio GPS Audio KEEP Original USB Function| | - AliExpress . My OH mine kill me but I think I'll pull the trigger on this any other unit I ever looked at had too many compromises but this looks about as good as it gets. Are there USB ports on the head unit itself?
Another good find on the usb adapter. The 3x USB provided all connect to the rear of the head unit via cable and have sufficient length to run most places near the front seat / glove box area. There is no easy access USB port on the front, obviously.

Took an hour drive this morning and the unit worked flawlessly. Immediate response time and the screen quality is amazing. Even my wife commented on how clear and crisp it looked. Android Auto works with no customization or f'ing around.. just plug the phone in and done.

Link for Android Auto add-on
- choose colour as "build in carplay"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pulled the trigger after a BBQ and a few beers last night! Your hour test and OH being impressed was enough for me! Android Auto is native right the CarPlay addon is just for apple devices?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Android Auto is native right the CarPlay addon is just for apple devices?
No. Android Auto / Apple Carplay require the same add on. You either need to purchase it at the same time and choose "built in" with the purchase of the head unit, or buy the dongle (does the same thing, but external and more $$) ... Either way you would need to purchase it additionally. I linked the dongle in post #24 above.
(think of it as a piece of hardware that facilitates screen mirroring and touch input in a special way from your phone)

Screenshot from 2020-06-21 07-23-14.png

A common misconception is that any Android based head unit will support Android Auto natively- which is incorrect. Without that dongle or similar add on hardware, it's not possible. Having said that, Headunit Reloaded is making some decent strides... which allows you to run Android Auto through a software based setup (no dongle req). Some users have even been successful using with wireless AA using Headunit Reloaded, but it is actively under development still if I'm not mistaken.
Big following over here on XDA forums in anyone is interested. LINK

Screenshot from 2020-06-21 07-29-44.png

edit: I should clarify that if you have an android head unit that supports cellular data via SIM card or tethering from your phone, you can install android auto directly to the head unit, along with spotify, google maps, waze, etc.. and it will work as intended. That being said, for 99.9% of users the statement above holds true. If you plan to run Android Auto or Apple Carplay from your phone as the host, it must have a supported dongle or specific built in capability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update on support:
1. Obviously the time difference between Canada and China is off a little, making the responses from support less than ideal between 2 and 4 am.
2. I'm attempting to address the issue of my factory mic, camera and usb not functioning due to an incorrect wiring harness for the Cdn model. Replies have been a major let down, skirting the questions completely so far. At this point I'm not expecting anything worthwhile from them and would suggest others expect the same.

Support negatives aside.. this head unit has some quality hardware and i would definitely buy it again based on experience so far... That being said, wiring wasnt a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've found sellers will up their game on support if you file a dispute for the missing connectors and incorrect harness. Worst case Ali Express may give a partial refund but be prepared to send them lots of pictures though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Any luck getting the OEM mic working? Mine still hasn't shipped yet :(
I haven't bothered trying yet. I did order that GPS adapter for a few dollars to see if it will work and I'm positive I can get the mic working quite easily when I have it apart.

I ended up filing a dispute for a partial refund over the harness issue.. all of a sudden they have a different harness that will work 🤣

·
Registered
36 Posts
Still waiting for mine to dispatch seller says it will be today and confirmed they installed the carplay chip, taking their time about sending it though

21 - 32 of 32 Posts