Which head unit would you go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed follow up on everything. hopefully this thread can stay on topic. I know a number of people continued on in my last thread with their own experiences and also reached out to me in private message, so here goes an update:

Original Thread

1. The Android Auto USB dongle seemed to work well sometimes, but not others.. it drove me crazy for a while. Eventually I determined that it was actually a problem with Google's Android Auto phone software and it was corrected with a future update. A friend of mine tested his IPhone and it seemed to be much more responsive before and after the AA fix.... I'm not an apple fan, but Carplay is tempting me more and more.

2. The screen glare was kind of crappy at certain times and could have been brighter or used an anti-glare screen.

3. Biggest complaint overall, SYSTEM LAG. I don't think the T8 processor and 2Gb RAM were quite enough for managing an external USB dongle to host Android Auto from a phone..

4. Fast Boot - if enabled you can set a delayed shutdown for a certain amount of time when the vehicle powers off. The benefit of this when set to let's say 10 minutes, is that when you stop to pump gas and start back up, the boot time is almost instant.... HOWEVER, the draw back i experienced comes when you want to park the vehicle, exit, lock and walk away.... because the fast boot that is set to 10min in this example, won't let you lock the doors with the key fob easily during this time. I would need to press the lock button 25x + from a very short distance to get any response.

5. I did complete a cross country trip with this head unit as well. I really enjoyed having AA with easy use of Spotify, Maps, and Podcasts. Very few glitches other than being a bit slow to respond sometimes. Downloading maps offline prior to the trip is smart to avoid losing Maps in the mountains.

6. I briefly experimented with Headunit Reloaded (android app that is still actively being developed) instead of the USB dongle.
  • allows android auto without a dongle. cell phone plugged directly into any host android device.
  • able to force aspect ratio's for widescreen displays.
  • wasn't flawless, but usable.
7. Eventually the bottom left portion of the glass started to separate from the screen. As i attempted to make it stick back down, I used too much pressure and cracked the glass..... not good. this turned into a slightly larger crack over a day or 2 and sent the touchscreen into crazy mode, clicking randomly everywhere. Needless to say this rendered the unit unusable.
IMG_20190525_151157.jpg
  • The seller was actually good about it and offered to ship me a new screen for ~$40... however, i decided not to invest anymore into this unit.
  • I ended up removing it and replacing the OEM head unit in ~ Oct 2019.
8. Now here we are in June 2020 and I've recently had to replace a blown front door speaker... This got me thinking about Android Auto/ Spotify again and how much I miss having it in this SUV vs my wife's car that came with it. I know, I know... I can use it from my phone, and I do... but there's something about having the limited model with 7" screen, and instead using your cell phone for Google Maps, mounted directly beside it. :mad:

New Must have's:
  • Latest/fastest processor
  • 4Gb memory
  • better screen quality.
  • built in android auto/ Carplay
Dasaita released some interesting new additions to their lineup at CES 2020. Watch the YouTube video HERE to see their latest Tech

I have essentially broken it down to 2 options right now:
1. Dasaita Max 6 (HA5311-MAX6CB009) - which features the Rockchip PX6 processor, 4Gb RAM, 9" screen, built in Android Auto/ Carplay (add on $50) - LINK
2. OnKar-1157X - same PX6 processor, 4Gb RAM, 10.4" vertical (Tesla style) screen, built in Android Auto / Carplay - LINK

- Dasaita has a lot going for it as one of the leading aftermarket manufacturers. Their standard dual din units are making independent review sites and beating out competition from Sony, Alpine, etc.

• OnKar I know less about, but they have some decent reviews and youtube videos from applications in other vehicles. All in all, I don't think I need a vertical screen.... but the demo in the youtube video linked below makes it look sooo appealing with Carplay!
  • Watch this VIDEO to see an identical OnKar head unit for a Lexus. This model has the same hardware specs as the Santa Fe version listed above.
Anyway, let me know what you guys think.. one of these 2 units will likely be my next experiment! ---- POLL at top of page :unsure:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I contacted OnKar and requested a video displaying the Android Auto functionality on a Tesla style (portrait) screen. They were kind enough to record a short video on a similar spec'd head unit and upload it to YouTube - VIDEO LINK

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once thing I dislike about these units and every other I have looked at is that you have to use their GPS antenna and their mic. There must be adapters available so you can use the built in's?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once thing I dislike about these units and every other I have looked at is that you have to use their GPS antenna and their mic. There must be adapters available so you can use the built in's?
The last one I tried worked with the OEM mic... and to be honest, i just left the nav antenna mounted in behind the stereo. I haven't used the OEM Hyundai nav, or the built in nav on the other aftermarket HU once in the 5 years I've owned it. My primary goal is to have functional Android Auto / Apple Carplay which uses the GPS from the cell phone via Google Maps of Waze interface anyway.
I did test out the built in google maps capability on the last HU and even with the nav antenna buried in the dash on top of the stereo itself, i still picked up accurate GPS position extremely quick.
Also, you could always route the new microphone cable into the OEM location quite easily if that was your only option. The OnKar Tesla style unit i was considering against this one required me to use their microphone, which would have been fine with me as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good to know about the GPS antenna and I guess I'm a little leery about fooling around with the roof lining not to mention routing through the dash and up the pillar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head Unit already cleared customs in Canada... in 1 business day. :cool:
2nd win for the morning, duty fees cost half of what I was expecting... not even the equivalent of paying tax here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Quick update. A lot of my comparison will be drawn against the previous Uniway T8 android head unit i tried out last year.

The Good:
  • head unit was delivered on time, 5 business days from initial order. China to Canada (y)
  • The packaging and instruction manual are on par with any electronic manufacturer in North America. Very impressed with their English set up guide and information.
  • fit and finish are perfect. The plastic surround material is a perfect match with the Hyundai trim pieces. The single din receiver actually mounts to the vehicle like the OEM unit using the 4x screws. (The previous Uniway receiver did not screw in and was only held by the plastic screen clips)
  • once the canbus was changed to " 15 Hyundai/Kia (Simple)" and I selected the "with amplifier" option, the sound worked as expected. Night and Day comparison to my old Uniway receiver. I hear no background noise and the quality is crystal clear.
  • most importantly.... Android Auto worked on the first try! the Zlink interface is intuitive and simple.
  • steering wheel controls work out of the box.
  • screen brightness adjusts automatically with the headlights and you can customize various settings easily.
  • much better graphical interface for the AC/ fan settings compared to my previous head unit as well.
The not so good:
  • 2x wiring harnesses and 2x canbus adapters were supplied. Both canbus are identical, but the wiring harnesses are significantly different. Its obvious for my application which harness is meant for the Santa Fe, the other is not compatible at all.
  • Dasaita units come with default programming. Mine was set to a Toyota Camry. However, the instruction manual provides details on how to change the canbus settings for different manufacturers.
  • the factory backup camera is not activating when shifting into gear. The AVin app is not picking up it's signal either. The camera runs through the oem harness on the limited Santa Fe model, using the same pins as the door speakers in the non-Nav versions. May be as simple as a canbus setting....
... currently messaging back and forth with the seller to determine the camera issue. Aside from that I am extremely happy with my initial impressions.

1 box.jpg 2 removed.jpg 3 test fit.jpg 4 power on clock.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quick update. A lot of my comparison will be drawn against the previous Uniway T8 android head unit i tried out last year.

The Good:
  • head unit was delivered on time, 5 business days from initial order. China to Canada (y)
  • The packaging and instruction manual are on par with any electronic manufacturer in North America. Very impressed with their English set up guide and information.
  • fit and finish are perfect. The plastic surround material is a perfect match with the Hyundai trim pieces. The single din receiver actually mounts to the vehicle like the OEM unit using the 4x screws. (The previous Uniway receiver did not screw in and was only held by the plastic screen clips)
  • once the canbus was changed to " 15 Hyundai/Kia (Simple)" and I selected the "with amplifier" option, the sound worked as expected. Night and Day comparison to my old Uniway receiver. I hear no background noise and the quality is crystal clear.
  • most importantly.... Android Auto worked on the first try! the Zlink interface is intuitive and simple.
  • steering wheel controls work out of the box.
  • screen brightness adjusts automatically with the headlights and you can customize various settings easily.
  • much better graphical interface for the AC/ fan settings compared to my previous head unit as well.
The not so good:
  • 2x wiring harnesses and 2x canbus adapters were supplied. Both canbus are identical, but the wiring harnesses are significantly different. Its obvious for my application which harness is meant for the Santa Fe, the other is not compatible at all.
  • Dasaita units come with default programming. Mine was set to a Toyota Camry. However, the instruction manual provides details on how to change the canbus settings for different manufacturers.
  • the factory backup camera is not activating when shifting into gear. The AVin app is not picking up it's signal either. The camera runs through the oem harness on the limited Santa Fe model, using the same pins as the door speakers in the non-Nav versions. May be as simple as a canbus setting....
... currently messaging back and forth with the seller to determine the camera issue. Aside from that I am extremely happy with my initial impressions.

View attachment 448151 View attachment 448152 View attachment 448153 View attachment 448154
Looking good so far. I really like the fact that the head is screwed into the dash like the OEM. How is that little cubby hole attached to the main unit? Wasn't that cubby hole on your other unit just floating under the head unit? Keep posting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the fact that the head is screwed into the dash like the OEM. How is that little cubby hole attached to the main unit? Wasn't that cubby hole on your other unit just floating under the head unit? Keep posting.
You are correct. The last head unit was 2 separate pieces that flopped around like a soft.... chicken. The Dasaita kit I ordered (CB009) is technically 2 pieces , but comes fastened together pretty well with removable screws. It was much easier to set in place compared to the pain in the rear the last one was.

Note: for anyone with a non nav Santa Fe, 2012-2015 the DYX006 kit does not come with the cubby hole TripleR is referring to as your model has physical Fan/Heat controls in that location. The webpage does a good job of explaining this when you order.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good news / Bad News update again... this time the good news is for me and the bad news is for anyone following and hoping this would be 100% plug and play.

I'll be brief for now, but the bad news is that I was sent what I believe to be the wrong harness.. most likely the one for a non nav Santa Fe. That being said, I was able to rewire it and make everything work... however, it was not ideal. I am providing all my feedback to the seller in hopes they will send me the right harness, just so I can update you guys with a confirmation as to whether or not this would truly be a plug and play replacement. Anyone who's not comfortable with wiring may have struggled with this install. The only thing specifically that did NOT work was the factory back up camera. I will detail this in a later post with pin out diagrams, etc. If anyone has specific questions, let me know and I'll make sure to include answers to the best of my ability in a better install review once this project is complete.

The good news, it's pretty much done aside from customizing the interface:
8 installed.jpg

7 spotify.jpg 10 Maps.jpg 9 camera.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fit and finish does look excellent. Were you able to use the OEM mic?
To be honest, I haven't tested specifically to see if it's working. I did not hook up the mic it came with, but voice control works for AA. So either the built in mic on the screen is sufficient or the oem mic does work. I will dig more into this though. :unsure:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Excited to see how you get on here too, I'm in Europe/Ireland with the factory NAV unit but it's slightly different from the US/Canadian one with a different amp too. Thanks for the pics of your harnesses will check if they match mine and if so theres a good chance its a match.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the pics of your harnesses will check if they match mine and if so theres a good chance its a match.
I attached a couple of pics to help you out. In the first pic, only the 2 connectors circled in red connect from the SUV into the stereo harness. The 2 highlighted in orange are antenna for XM radio and factory GPS, neither get used. The blue square is for the OEM usb input, which wont work either without a proper adapter or a new terminal on the end. (not a big deal, stereo comes with 3)

In the second pic: green specifies the rca connections used to backup cam (CAM IN - yellow) and the white/red for audio signal to the factory amp through the CANBUS.
The yellow highlighted area including the yellow rca and white pinned connector are where my discrepancy is with Dasaita. They keep telling me to plug in that yellow rca to the one I said is CAM in highlight in green... BUT that white pinned connector doesn't plug into anything and that's where that yellow RCA terminates without an actual connection :rolleyes:
The red square identifies 8x color coded wires that are for.. you guessed it.. speaker wire! however, the OEM nav version of the Santa Fe does not wire speakers through the dash, they are all wired from the amplifier... the backup camera is actually wired through those terminals for this model. You can't see it here, but I actually had to cut that yellow rca and pin it to the #2 and #11 pins that are the white and grey wires inside that red box. It gets even worse than that... #9 inside that large black connector is supposed to be for the R position (this sends battery power through the line when you put your car in R - otherwise it doesnt know to show the camera because you changed gear).. so I actually had to splice into my factory wiring harness to pull power from where #9 on the big black terminal should have been and jump it over to the orange #2 wire from the small black stereo connector (not highlighted in pic) that is used to signal the reverse gear.

All that said, the backup camera was the only problem I found... unfortunately it wasn't a super simple fix.

2 removed.jpg 5 harness.jpg

Here's a pin out comparison for anyone interested:

Santa Fe non OEM nav: LINK
Santa Fe w NAV: LINK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for that my head unit is a LAN2100EHDM and pulled it out this evening to see what harness I have. It has 2x large white as you also the USB and GPS connectors but then it's different the FM antenna is a square grey connector and the video feed is on a smaller white rectangular connector.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looking closer at your pics I think I won't have your issue with the camera as my feed will fit the connector and RCA in the large yellow circle, looking at the ALI Express is comes with the adaptor for the FM connection and USB, so that leaves, GPS, MIC and factory aux in to be sorted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking closer at your pics I think I won't have your issue with the camera as my feed will fit the connector and RCA in the large yellow circle, looking at the ALI Express is comes with the adaptor for the FM connection and USB, so that leaves, GPS, MIC and factory aux in to be sorted.
There is a good chance this harness is built for your model more so than mine. It does come with the FM antenna adapter that has a small grey plastic square input. I'll will attach a picture soon.

I have confirmed that my OEM mic is not currently working... that said, it will be the same modification required as my camera to jump the proper pin out from the harness and plug it in to the unit.... however, at the moment the mic built into the screen is working well enough that it may not be worth the effort. I made a few phone calls and used Google voice assistant without any issues.

The OEM usb again will be the same. No adapter included, but it would be possible to splice those wires if you absolutely wanted. I have the 3 provided USB cables routed to different areas and have no complaints there.

Dasaita support has been somewhat of a let down so far. Most of their suggestions to fix the problem are pointless. I'm not sure whether the problem is a language barrier or if they aren't sure what to do. Last email I got from them said they would instruct me how to change the wires on the harness.... I guess we'll see if they give me the correct info. (They don't know I have already solved the wiring problem)
My plan is to see what they suggest and eventually provide them with the steps I took to fix things in hopes they sort it out for future customers.

Positives:
1st - In my original post I made a comment about the previous head unit causing an issue with delayed turn off and locking the doors with the key fob. I'm happy to say that using the "smart sense" feature with this head unit, it seems to put it to sleep similar to a laptop and boots instantly when you turn the vehicle on. I tested it after 24hrs and it was still an instant boot to menu with this feature enabled.
Most importantly; there is no adverse effect to locking the doors!

2nd - Just like last time, I decided to leave the GPS antenna sitting on top of the head unit receiver rather than routing it somewhere exposed on the dash. The GPS picks up signal no problem and accurately displays speed, compass, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts