Hyundai Forums banner

Android based system is coming to the Sonata as OEM

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  MikeyTG 
#1 ·
Apparently it will start in the Genesis but will roll out quickly to the Sonata. The article (translated from Korean) is a bit vague but I'm assuming that it would port your phone's display to the dash display. So you could control Pandora and use Google maps for example. It doesn't say if the car will get an LTE chip so that it could connect without a phone.

Hyundai & Kia applies the Android AVN system to all models

#3 ·
lol, Kia offers that NU system which basically is an app that remote starts, opens windows, locks/unlocks, turns on lights and can function as a GPS to find your car....

It's cool and all, but I don't 100% trust it.... I mean hackers these days are getting smarter and smarter.... so by using a app on my phone I 100% don't trust it yet....

- -

#4 ·
That's why I have full insurance. Let them steal it and ship it overseas; I get a brand new one! I won't argue, it's only a car!

#12 ·
Hyundai has actually been working on this for quite a while. I stumbled across news of it sometime mid this year.

Hyundai wants your NFC-enabled smartphone to be your car keys — Tech News and Analysis
HYUNDAI REVEALS HIGHER LEVELS OF SMARTPHONE-CAR CONNECTIVITY : Hyundai Media Centre

I wouldn't expect the cars to have an LTE chip. It's nothing like that, just NFC so the phone can take the place of the keyfob.

Personally I wouldn't trust it or want it. Phones are more likely to be stolen so the last thing I'd want to do is rely on one instead of the keyfob (assuming you could start the car with your phone simply being present, but I doubt it'll be taken that far).

On the bright side, it's about **** time an auto manufacturer stopped catering exclusively to Apple's crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.