Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me which type of power steering fluid i will need in a hyundai amica? And will i need to drain and refill or can i just top it up?

A hose has been leaking which i have now repaired but the level is below the low level.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Any synthetic ATF will be great. I would drain the reservoir and refill. Wait a week, put a drop of the fluid on a white paper napkin and see if there is any dirt settling out in it. if there is repeat weekly until that stops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on doing that soon, I managed to find some old stuff in the shed and put that in. At the minute it makes a loud whine when i turn the wheel, Could this be air trapped in the system?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Yes it could be, could be the type fluid too if it is really cold.

Try turning the wheel lock to lock when the engine is running several times to try and purge the air.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All done.

Topped up with almost 1L of fluid so i assume id already lose most of it anyway! A couple of full locks on the wheel eradicated the noise and i had to loosen the belt believe it or not. When i tried to tighten it the car stuttered on acceleration.

I assume the monster 1L engine didn't have enough power to turn the taught belt as from what i can tell tightening the aux belt also tightens the power steering belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts