Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me say I am not saying no one taste is wrong if they like big rims but to me they look like a clown car that belongs in a circus

Yesterday on my way home from work, I saw a Chevy Cameo with what must had been 22 to 24 inch rims on that car. It didn't look sporty, it looked like a 4x4 and all I could do was laugh because it look so ridiculous.

I just don't see why people think big wheels are cool looking or low profile tires that show no meat on the tire are cool, I think they make cars look like they belong in a circus but maybe its my age, I am 46 so I was a kid in the early 80s and a lot of my generation had the 70's muscle cars that I dont ever remember having big funny looking rims that were 20 21 22 and so on .. The bigger these rims get and smaller the tires get the more they start to look like a clown car to me and people who paint their chrome black, wtf are you thinking lol. Man my first car in my own name had black handles and bumpers a 1991 cavalier base model, I hated that cause it look so cheap and now everybody want black emblems handles grilles wheels,lol why?

I just don't get it. I have 17's on my sonata and would never put 20's or bigger on my car, maybe not even 19's.

I keep telling myself everyone has different taste but man when I see those big funny looking wheels on cars I like I cringed but I know some people love that look in the same way my father told me he never understood ground effects on cars, he thought those were daf where i like those. I guess we all have different likes

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I happen to agree but I am ancient compared to you...the thinner the rubber, the harsher the ride! I have 16" and I'm fine with it! :grin2:

·
Registered
200 Posts
For some changing the OEM wheels is a way of personalizing their vehicle. Though I agree with you that bigger isn't always better, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Both of my Hyundai's have 19" wheels and replacement tires aren't always in stock. So changing to a 20" wheel is a consideration. Saw several on the lot at my local dealer and I liked the look.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For some changing the OEM wheels is a way of personalizing their vehicle. Though I agree with you that bigger isn't always better, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Both of my Hyundai's have 19" wheels and replacement tires aren't always in stock. So changing to a 20" wheel is a consideration. Saw several on the lot at my local dealer and I liked the look.
Well it also depends on the model too. I think a Genesis would look OK with 19's but 19's on like say an accent IMO would look dumb. Basically i think if you got to modify the wheel opening of your car, its going look trashy and dumb but I guess the ones who do that love it, better their car then my car lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I happen to agree but I am ancient compared to you...the thinner the rubber, the harsher the ride! I have 16" and I'm fine with it! :grin2:
yes that is true and I always go with the thought, if bigger was better, the manufacturer would had done bigger.. I also wonder does going so big mess up the mpg figures on car?

age doesn't have nothing to do with how we love our cars though right, it just make us not understand what the newer generations see in stuff like these big huge wheels lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well it also depends on the model too. I think a Genesis would look OK with 19's but 19's on like say an accent IMO would look dumb. Basically i think if you got to modify the wheel opening of your car, its going look trashy and dumb but I guess the ones who do that love it, better their car then my car lol
I agree, it really depends on the car. But I also think some people go way overboard on what they do to their vehicles. On carid.com I've seen wheels that were ridiculously expensive, like almost $5,000 a wheel.

These 18" wheels for your accent are only $1,600 a piece! https://www.carid.com/rotiform-wheels/spf-3pc-custom-paint-93213765.html. With tires you could spend around $7,500 to trick out your Accent.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
ima still trying to figger out why people put stuff on the OUTSIDE of the car, because they cant see it when they are driving. i would rather put stuff underneath the hood so i can suck the doors of other cars, and then they would be like, wtf? one of my favorites was a lotus elan. people thought it was a fiat 850, cause i put the fiat 850 emblems on the back. at that time, in hawaii, vw bugs were the rage. so i would be at the lite, and a bug would be revving me, lite turns green, and i would absolutely suck the doors off the bug. next lite, same thing. then, the bug driver would yell out, "what the **** is that?" and i would reply, "fiat 850". cost of fiat emblems, 10 bucks. look on bug owners faces, priceless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts