Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Sonata with a bad alternator. I can get a rebuilt one for half the cost of a new one, but how bad is it to replace. It is on a V6 engine. I have done a lot of work on inline engines, but these sideways mounted engines leave little room to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'll have to answer this myself in a couple of days. Maybe nobody fixes their own Sonata.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just done one on mine 'not an easy job'.Once all the belts are off a straight forward job. But i will say the alternator is expensive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by liverpool@Sep 3 2004, 10:17 AM
I've just done one on mine 'not an easy job'.Once all the belts are off a straight forward job. But i will say the alternator is expensive
[snapback]1017[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by starter@Sep 3 2004, 12:13 PM

[snapback]1019[/snapback]​

The A/C expansion tank and power steering pressure hose have to be moved. Take the PS hose loose from the pump The top engine mount, and all the usual brackets and wires on the alternator have to be removed. With the top engine mount removed, not just loosened, the engine can be move forward just enough to allow clearance for the alternator to be removed.
To say the least it is one miserable job to get the alternator out.
The design engineer should have to take one out before he designs another.
The list price on the alternator is $352 but you can buy a rebuilt for about $165.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this removal technique is for the 6cyl instead of the 4cyl. I am looking at replacing the alternator in a 2002 Sonata 2.4. I am hoping the job is easy, not dismounting the engine and power steering.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I work on jet engines full time and my sonata part time and i agree with you on the engineer part. The engineers arent looking to see if it makes it easy for us to work on, they are looking to make sure the part works, and if its easy to get to then your lucky.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts