Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Hyaundai Sonata and the alternator has died. I am trying to replace it but cant seem to remove it. The bottom bolt is too long to remove. :( Please help!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
How many miles on the car? If under 60K it's still under warranty so you should have a dealer fix it.
Are you sure the alternator is bad? It's very unusual for it to fail this soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has 61000 miles and I bought it used 5 months ago so the warrant does not apply. And the dealership just had it and couldnt find an alternator for it and I need it by Monday. I have a new alternator for it, I just cant get the bottom bolt out of the alternator.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Are you sure it needs pulled out or does it just need to "clear"? Take a flashlight and see if you can see pulling the bolt at max extension does it allow the alternator to be pulled?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I just read the instructions on the Hyundai Service website. It only states to remove the thru bolt and all the pictures of the alternator after removal show one bolt still on it. Hmmm. Are you sure it has to come out? Can you pry the alternator out once the upper bolt is removed?
I have a Turbo so I cannot tell you the answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info. My husband and his father were trying to remove it but it wasn't budging when they tried to "wiggle" it free. Is there any way you can link those pics for me?

Thanks tons to everyone!!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Appears to be that you remove the 2 bolt, and wiggle alternator off the mounting pads..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I literally just finished this job and had the same issue as this person. 2011 Sonata (mine is a limited, 2.4L theta 2). The alternator bolt simply lays on top of a slot on the engine;it does not need to come all the way out; the bottom bolt never actually screws into the engine anywhere. Yes, when you unscrew it, it hits the frame, but that doesn't matter. Get it that far and then use your might to pull it out after the top bolt is out. You will see once you finally get the alternator out about the bolt merely acting as a guide and just laying on top of a slot on the engine. I weigh 280, and it took my might to finally get it off....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are their any specific tools needed to do this job like any special wrenches or pretty basic tools? First time tackling this issue and need to do this myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I literally just finished this job and had the same issue as this person. 2011 Sonata (mine is a limited, 2.4L theta 2). The alternator bolt simply lays on top of a slot on the engine;it does not need to come all the way out; the bottom bolt never actually screws into the engine anywhere. Yes, when you unscrew it, it hits the frame, but that doesn't matter. Get it that far and then use your might to pull it out after the top bolt is out. You will see once you finally get the alternator out about the bolt merely acting as a guide and just laying on top of a slot on the engine. I weigh 280, and it took my might to finally get it off....

What tools did you use to complete the job I have the same car and can use some advice

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Need 17mm to rotate belt tension, 4 for both alternator cross bolt, 12mm for main power cord at alternator

Reactions: Bearcats

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a couple hours of trial and error, the alternator came out with prying UPWARDS. For anyone who it trying this job for the first time, pulling the alternator directly up is the only way that back bolt, which is guided but still a pain in the ass, will pop off. This is what it looks like after the alternator is out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone,

I really appreciate this thread as I am also changing my alternator for the first time in this car. I have a 2012 Sonata GLS.

I got to the same problem as described except with the opposite bolt. I got the bottom bolt out easily but the top bolt is hitting a metal A/C line. Has anyone encountered this issue? Do I need to just keep pulling?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The intake is on the opposite side of the engine and would not interfere with replacement of the alternator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts