Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a separate charging relay with coals on the alternator one can change, or does one have to replace the entire alternator if it aint charging? :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
No, if your sure its the alternator then its all in one piece.............need a new one (they are expensive)

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,796 Posts
There may be a fuse that feeds the alternator field. And some have the big fuse between the alternator output and battery.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
IF brake and battery lights at indtrument cluster illuminate, good bet the alternator is taking a dump.. not too common of issue, but we might replace 1 or 2 a year.. been a long time since I seen one.. note that new replacement from HYundai has been design change, and requires use of shorter belt.

But I see you is in Sweden..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll look up the fuses first.

The "battery lamp" lights up a few minutes before the car runs out of energy in the battery. I had to use two brand new 64AH batteries to get the car home a few days ago..

I have however seen these alternators at various car junk yards here in Sweden so I'll shoot for a used one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, anyone knows if the alternator is of generic type or where used on any other more common Hyundai/Kia's?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Btw, anyone knows if the alternator is of generic type or where used on any other more common Hyundai/Kia's?
according to some web sites the alternator is the same as the Kia Opius/Amanti but that's not much help as those Kia models were not available in Europe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There may be a fuse that feeds the alternator field. And some have the big fuse between the alternator output and battery.
The fuses are ok, next is to remove the alternator and make a proper inspection of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought a voltage regulator for Hyundai alternators from aliexpress.com , might come in handy when I got the alternator of from the car to inspect it.

I'm hoping it may be a alternative to replacing the entire alternator!

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Bought a voltage regulator for Hyundai alternators from aliexpress.com , might come in handy when I got the alternator of from the car to inspect it.

I'm hoping it may be a alternative to replacing the entire alternator!

good luck with that, in the past it has been very hard to source parts to repair this alternator

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good luck with that, in the past it has been very hard to source parts to repair this alternator
I'll keep you posted on how it works, the regulator was only $14 so if this works it should be way cheeper than getting a new alternator.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,796 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time to remove the alternator now, looks like one have to remove the fan assembly too to get room to maneuver around.. :mad:

Anyone thats BTDT that can give some advice on how to attack the removal procedure? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
remove the right hand fan assembly (two 10mm bolts and the wiring plug and it will lift out) remove the two top radiator mounting bots (this will enable you to pull the rad. forward very slightly) remove the drive belt and undo the alternator mounting bolts (the bottom one is a PITA) there is just enough room to pull the alternator out

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thx Montego, would it help if I would lift out the entire radiator? The car is getting a major overhaul so I'm going to replace coolant fluid anyway, so I might as well flush the rad to ensure the flow.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Thx Montego, would it help if I would lift out the entire radiator? The car is getting a major overhaul so I'm going to replace coolant fluid anyway, so I might as well flush the rad to ensure the flow.

yes it would make it alot easier if you want the extra work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts