Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with their alternator going. After 3 years I have just gone through my 2nd one. The first one went after 1 year and 5 months. Driving home in a winter storm the seatbelt light started to flash and then I noticed that the wipers started to slow down. Of course I was stuck in bad traffic going nowhere so I couldn't even pull over. Soon all the dash lights lit up and the car died. They replaced the alternator and told me that it wasn't a common thing. 1 year and 5 months after this, it happened again! This time I was lucky that it started acting up when I was about 300 meters from a dealership so I pulled in and parked it. Unfortunately it was during a long weekend so the truck sat for 4 days before they could look at it. As soon as I started telling him about the flashing light he new what the issue was. Said that it was a little more common and that the front rocker cover gasket has a habit of leaking and then of course goes on the alternator and burns it out. Anyone else come across this? I'm sure you can understand that I'm concerned that this is going to happen again in another year and a half.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
It is not an everyday thing, but I have finally put 1 on a Santa Fe 3.3 on a Saturday for people traveling on way home to IL.

Not a fun job... alternator made by Nippondenso, should not have been problem,,, I gots OE 'Denso alternator on my Toyota with some 220,000+ mile on it, still going strong..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there

I Just experence my Alternator going out while i was 200 plus miles away from home camping. I was leaving the campsite heading home and first i notice that the car would not start after sitting for a few min, when i ran in store to get some stuff for the drive home and so had stranger give me a jump cause my Battery light came on and flashed and also did my seatbelt light come on and flash. so started the car after the jump and drove about a mile down the road and all of sudden all the lights came on and i floor the pedal and nothing happen and i was on a Major Hwy way with cars behind. so at the point contacted Hyundai roadside services and had the service plan so they sent someone out with a tow truck and tow it to the nearest dealer and I was able to get a rental and get home. so my car is still being service and they are having it towed on a flatbed to my area dealer so i can pick it up. so all in all it was a crazy day and not in a fun. way. So I dont think it common for that part to go out after 24,000 miles on an 2008 SE 3.3 liter.

Note a month prior to that while having the oil changed at the dealer. they changed out my battery at no cost and inform me of that the battery was bad. I wondering if they had a checked the alternator. this wouldnt have happen. Oh well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had mine fail on me with a car full of people and a large dog about 300 miles from home. Car only had 37,000 miles. Same symptoms...flashing lights, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the same problem on my 2007 GLS Santa Fe 3.3. It happened 5 hours from home in a small town, Luckily there was a Hyundai dealership and he knew what the problem was. As he stated the valve cover gaskets wear out due to the action of the timing chain throwing oil at it. Hyundai has a newer gasket that is more resistant to that type of wear. The dearlership told me that as a precaution theyt are changing the gasket on any 2007 santa fe, if covered under warranty. I had to get rental to drive home and will have to drive 500km to pick up my Santa Fe when ready. Both gasket and alternator is covered under warranty...not sure if they will replace the dead battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had an recurring problem going on with my son's 2001 Accent where it would intermittently have a dead battery after driving. Checked the battery and all grounds, even had the alternator load-tested at Autozone a few times, but couldn't find the root of the problem. Turned out to be a defective alternator which would fail only after heating up. The new unit constantly puts out 13.5-14V regardless of load or temperature; problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts