Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is suffering from the valve cover leaking onto my alternator and was wondering if there is anything I could do to prolong the life of my alternator. Could i spray a cleaner of some sort on it or just pressure wash it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
Sorry, doesn't sound like it was fixed right?

Also, if leaking oil is bad for the alternator then what would happen if you got water or detergent in it??
Just wondering??

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Yeah, just had it fixed 2 months ago, started leaking again.
You probably have a PCV, restricted exhaust or blowby concern. Take it back to the shop and have them fix it right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You probably have a PCV, restricted exhaust or blowby concern. Take it back to the shop and have them fix it right.
Could you Please tell me more about this, Ive searched oil leaks and for the 3.3 liter they say its the valve cover gasket but i haven't heard about the PCV or blowby.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
After having the same experience in January 2016, I had the alternator and the gasket replaced, no charge, at the Hyundai dealer.

It is part of a campaign that you will not be notified about, unless you take it to the dealer.

The gasket leaked again in March 2016 and was replaced again at no charge. This time the alternator had very little oil on it and did not need to be replaced.

Given that the last replacement was over 2 years ago, I am hopeful that they used the newly engineered gasket the second time.

Take it to the dealer.

Good luck.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Could you Please tell me more about this, Ive searched oil leaks and for the 3.3 liter they say its the valve cover gasket but i haven't heard about the PCV or blowby.

Thanks
What M in Toronto said. I remember now about this campaign. Go to the dealer and see if you are covered under this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did call the dealer to which they said it was done in 2016 and that was that, because of the age of the car (2007) they wouldn't do it again. Im interested in the PCV valve, would that cause a oil leak. The front of my motor doesnt appear to be wet it looks more like it may be coming from the side possibly the timing chain cover or the rear valve cover. Im just trying to pinpoint it, funny thing is its leaking more than it did originally.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Take the hose off the valve cover opposite the PCV valve and when it's hot and idling see if any air is puffing out of it. If the PCV is working right there should be a slight vacuum on that hose at idle.

Put if you also want to clean the alternator I would not use a detergent but solvent then water. Gunk is one as long as it's the diesel fuel type but they also make a detergent based.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
I did call the dealer to which they said it was done in 2016 and that was that, because of the age of the car (2007) they wouldn't do it again. Im interested in the PCV valve, would that cause a oil leak. The front of my motor doesnt appear to be wet it looks more like it may be coming from the side possibly the timing chain cover or the rear valve cover. Im just trying to pinpoint it, funny thing is its leaking more than it did originally.
They said that your vehicle has the service performed? Do you remember that? Did they ask for your VIN number?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Take the hose off the valve cover opposite the PCV valve and when it's hot and idling see if any air is puffing out of it. If the PCV is working right there should be a slight vacuum on that hose at idle.

Put if you also want to clean the alternator I would not use a detergent but solvent then water. Gunk is one as long as it's the diesel fuel type but they also make a detergent based.
That's backwards....You DO NOT want to use solvents. They will degraded the insulation on the thin wiring of the stator and it'll short out. A degreaser followed by fresh water and blow dry. Myself I would take it apart and do it,,,but that's me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts