Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JLR have leaked details of the 5-seat Freelander (LR2 in North America) replacement in advance of next year's launch and confirms it'll be named within the Discovery sub-brand. It'll be joined later by an extended wheelbase version with 7-seats.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover … y-set-grow

It'll also be joined later by the Discovery (LR4 in North America) replacement, based on the all-alloy chassis currently used for Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, so the new Discovery will be down to about 2000 kg kerbweight and under 200 g/km emissions - which is about the same as the 2010-2012 Santa Fe !

The legendary Land-Rover unreliablility has all but gone, something that Ford don't get enough credit for - that was the big fundamental change during it's tenure - Freelander 2 (LR2) and Discovery 3/4 (LR3/4) are very different from their predecessors, reliability-wise.

I think Hyundai dealers will have their work cut out trying to get Santa Fe owners to stay within the brand when replacement time comes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't see how there could be any cross shopping a Santa Fe and LR2. It starts at $38k and goes up from there very quickly. The LR4 starts at $50k. Plus both are serious off-road machines and will weigh and drive like it, despite improvements.

Perhaps things are priced differently in the UK?

If you're looking for a Santa Fe alternative, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7Fv1PIONk&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
759 Posts
nissans are overpriced vehicles, and the rouge cannot be compare to the SFS - it's the smaller CUV - if you're comparing at all, it should be the Murano - which is higher in cost, and I don't think anywhere near as good looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Rogue has increased in size and is now very much a "tweener" like the Santa Fe Sport. It even has more cargo volume behind the second row than the Santa Fe Sport by a few cubes.

nissans are overpriced vehicles, and the rouge cannot be compare to the SFS - it's the smaller CUV - if you're comparing at all, it should be the Murano - which is higher in cost, and I don't think anywhere near as good looking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How could you assume a Hyundai consumer is going to cross-shop with Land Rover? Land Rover would be lumped with BMW, Merc., etc.

Thats like saying a Sonata driver is going to trade in for a Jaguar XF... Both are highly unlikely unless said consumer sees significant salary increases over the 4-8 years of Hyundai ownership.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The redesigned Rogue does look like a big improvement. And it is packed with features like Around-View monitor, Lane Departure Warning, Front Collision warning, Blind Spot Monitor, LED DRL, and full LED headlamps. Also MPG looks solid at 26/33. And offers impressive 39.3 cubic cargo size.

However, IMO the rear end is pretty ugly (reminds me of the last gen RX350). And biggest engine available is only 170 horsepower (CVT to boot).

I'd like to see what Nissan does with the redesign of the Murano.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think Hyundai dealers will have their work cut out trying to get Santa Fe owners to stay within the brand when replacement time comes.

Do they even compete with each other in Europe? In the US market Land Rover is a niche luxury brand. No one shopping for a Hyundai is going to looking at a Land Rover as an alternative.

In the US market the aluminum chassis models jumped in price 2 - 4k. Let's assume on the smaller LR2 it only adds 1k to the price. How many buyers are going to say "We'll I can get a nice Santa Fe for 36k but hey I can upgrade to the Land Rover for only 8k more"

I do find it interesting that LR is changing to a 2.0 4 cylinder Turbo. Seems like that is the new performance motor standard for the class.

For what it his, luxury compact / midsize SUV, it's a dam nice example of one and I would be more than willing to trade my Santa Fe in for it.

They also don't the infrastructure to compete heavily in the US market. Just to put in perspective for every 50 Ford or Chevy Dealerships, there are 40 Toyota, 30 Honda, maybe 20 Hyundai/Nissan/Kia/Mazda and maybe 1 Land Rover. Where I live, which is one of the most densely packs areas of Illinois, within 30 minute drive of my house there are 12 Chevy, 10 Fords, 4 Hyundai, 2 Nissan, 2 Mazda, 4 Kia, 3 Merc, 3 BMW, 2 Audi, 2 Porsche, and only one Land Rover.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't see how there could be any cross shopping a Santa Fe and LR2. It starts at $38k and goes up from there very quickly. The LR4 starts at $50k. Plus both are serious off-road machines and will weigh and drive like it, despite improvements.

Perhaps things are priced differently in the UK?

If you're looking for a Santa Fe alternative, check this out: 2014 Nissan Rogue - YouTube
In the UK in UKP - current LR2 is 21,875-39,815 - Santa Fe is 25,850-34,875 - current LR4 is 33,040-57,775.

The Nissan Qashqai (Rogue) is 16,745-28,850 and competes with iX35 (Tucson).

For the LR2 and LR4 replacements, they'll go DOWN in UK pricing to get more separation from Range Rover models - probably by introducing lower spec entry models and dropping the top of the range models - so the Santa Fe will be right there in that mix.

The LR4 replacement will use the Range Rover all-alloy chassis so weight will be down to SF levels and fuel consumption will be similar despite the LR4 using a 255bhp 3.0 V6 twin turbo diesel compared to the SF's 194bhp 2.2 I4 single turbo diesel.

If Santa Fe is much cheaper than any LR2 in North America then there's a huge disparity in pricing, I wonder why?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If Santa Fe is much cheaper than any LR2 in North America then there's a huge disparity in pricing, I wonder why?
There is a huge price difference in the US. You can't compare base models here as they don't really match up but a comparably equipped SF is going to cost about 33K and a LR2 is at 39k. LR4's start at 50k.

Also did a quick check an a LR2 is about 40% more for insurance. They have it classified as a Luxury SUV. The LR4 would be almost 90% more. The Santa Fe is classified as a Sport wagon / CUV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts