Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost got stuck in deep icy snow w/ my AWD VC this morning. Last night when I backed up, parallel to the road, to a 25cm (10 inches) snow bank on the side of the road I did not get stuck.

This morning, after a few inches of more icy snow and freezing rain lubricating things I was almost able to get stuck backing up to the same snow bank. The Blizzaks were struggling for grip and the AWD was not able to distribute power to the road side properly. When I eventually decided not to back up to the snow bank anymore and switched to forward I was easily able to drive back to the road.

The VC really needed to have differential locks so that I can back up to 25cm+ icy snow banks at will...

In short, great vehicle, very impressed... :)

·
22,788 Posts
Let's review (in no particular order of importance, :grin:): Blizzaks, Vera Cruize, and AWD. Seems like a triple threat to me. Nice!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The roads in Ottawa have been brutal this winter... a kind of greasy, icy mix that nothing can grip. My BF Goodrich Slalom KSi winter tires feel more like half-worn all-season tires in this stuff.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
we just got a good glazing of ice and then 2-4" of snow this weekend. in the snow, the blizzaks (daughter's civic) and I-pike RW-11's (my veracruz) did a great job. however, this morning when everything re-froze overnight (5 degrees F this morning) the I-pikes got me going, but it was a struggle.

i'm guessing the all-seasons would have just spun and spun and spun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The roads in Ottawa have been brutal this winter... a kind of greasy, icy mix that nothing can grip. My BF Goodrich Slalom KSi winter tires feel more like half-worn all-season tires in this stuff.
It has been pretty bad, what, some double-triple the snow accumulation from average winter at this point in season. And very slippery stuff, snow, ice and sleet mixed to lubricate things. The (only month old) Blizzaks have been great. They of course do not do miracles, but the grip has been as good as I can expect w/ top-of-the-line studless winter tires. Also the handling balance is very predictable, which is very important for me, to know what to expect from the tires when you see the road ahead...

PS: A friend of mine showed up the morning after my 'VC snow bank experiments', and schooled me with his Ford F150 4x4 truck w/ Blizzaks, nicely parking it in the middle of the said snow bank where I had struggled to simply put one side of my VC... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts