Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys/ladies,

I'm having an issue with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Yesterday I started it up in the cold, (I live in Upstate NY, so the weather was about 4F). The display of my dash did not show any text. The backlight still works but it does not display the time, weather or anything at all.

I went to the dealership in my area and I was told that the radio is "damaged" and needs to be replaced. Since the car was originally purchased 02/2010, its outside the 3 year OR 36k mile warranty.

I find it hard to understand the whole radio is damaged since all the functionality is in tact. I even tested bluetooth, CD, radio. They all work flawlessly.

I've tried turning down the illumination all the way and turning it back up, it only affects the backlight brightness. I've also hit the "DISP" button on the dash but it just turns the backlight off/on.

I've tried opening the fuse box and pulling the "yellow" cased fuse on the bottom to reset the whole system. It did not resolve the issue.

My last idea is to replace the "Clock" 10A fuse with the "Spare" marked on the Fuse Panel, I need a flat nose pliers or tweezers to remove the fuses.
I also want to call the dealer I bought the vehicle from and see if they can help.

Here is a photo:

·
Registered
941 Posts
LCD displays are sensitive to temperature extremes. Usually they tend to fade when it gets hot and lag or respond slowly when it gets cold. Sustained temperatures outside their normal operating range can damage them, so it's possible the severe cold permanently damaged the display in your unit (although I'd think they should be able to tolerate colder temps since these cars are sold and used in states and countries that routinely see this type of weather). If a full power reset and warmer temperatures don't bring it back then the dealer is probably correct that the radio needs replacement.
Since you're already shown that all the radio functions work, this is clearly not a blown fuse so swapping them around isn't going to fix it.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Really? What options do I have? I saw a post on here a few months ago about a guy that was offering some sort of NAV system you had to sign up for...
There are 2 really great choices that bolt directly onto the radio (the radio body stays in the dash, just the front face is replaced with a touchscreen) that will display the time and temp on them. I will not disclose vendor names to avoid any issues with mods or starting a my-radio-is-better-than-yours war, but you can find them in the Vendor section of the forum as well as reviews on the systems by actual members.

However, if you dont want to spend giga-quads of cash right now, the clock display is available for pretty cheap on eBay. Probably less than $20. Also dash dis-assembly is pretty straightforward and it should only be 2 plugs.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dealer can remove radio and sublet it to MOBIS in CA for repair.. we send a lot of units there.. you just have to get past the hole in the dash for typically 2 week.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Dealer can remove radio and sublet it to MOBIS in CA for repair.. we send a lot of units there.. you just have to get past the hole in the dash for typically 2 week.
Exactly what I was thinking.................look for a place that can repair it or offer you a rebuilt exchange. I had the same thing happen to me with my Ford Explorer and just got a rebuilt unit for it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
keep in mind that the vendors here don't support the 6-disc units in found in the limited's. there wasn't enough demand for them, from what i recall.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking.................look for a place that can repair it or offer you a rebuilt exchange.
Hyundai dealer can send it to MOBIS in CA for repair.

That's what we do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts