Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 4cyc Sonata sat with dead battery for a month. I charged the battery and outside lights and dash lights began blinking constantly. When I turned on headlights all this stopped. As soon as I turned off headlights all the blinking started again.This happened with the car off or running. I let the car sit with the battery disconnected while I ate dinner and then connected the battery and started it again. The blinking started again even with the car turned off but stopped blinking after about 30 seconds. This continues still. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is it pulling any codes when you scan it? Interestingly I bought a 2003 V6 parts car today, which had been sitting for 6 months. Same thing happened with that (after I'd jump-started it), although I couldn't take it for a decent drive because it was unregistered. It didn't pull any codes either, but I suspect maybe that was because it had been sitting with a flat battery for so long? I'm giving the battery a good charge now to see if that makes any difference...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it pulling any codes when you scan it? Interestingly I bought a 2003 V6 parts car today, which had been sitting for 6 months. Same thing happened with that (after I'd jump-started it), although I couldn't take it for a decent drive because it was unregistered. It didn't pull any codes either, but I suspect maybe that was because it had been sitting with a flat battery for so long? I'm giving the battery a good charge now to see if that makes any difference...
Apparently, I did not wait until the battery was fully charged because this morning it made the clicking noise. I did take the battery out and held the terminals together for 30 seconds to reset the computer but I just now recieved a text informing me I should tie the terminals together for 20 minutes. The battery is removed from the vehichle, of course. I will see if that works if the 30 second try did not work. I will post back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Apparently, I did not wait until the battery was fully charged because this morning it made the clicking noise. I did take the battery out and held the terminals together for 30 seconds to reset the computer but I just now recieved a text informing me I should tie the terminals together for 20 minutes. The battery is removed from the vehichle, of course. I will see if that works if the 30 second try did not work. I will post back.
Thanks. Interesting. I look forward to hearing how you go :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Interesting. I look forward to hearing how you go :)
The light blinking finally stopped, but not right away. At first they started as soon as the battery was charged while still connected to the terminals. When I disconnected the terminals but left the battery in the car and charged it more, the lights inside and out blinked rapidly as soon as I opened the door. After I took the battery out of the car and placed it on the ground to charge the battery again and tied the terminals together, making sure they were touching, for about 25 minutes, the lights did not blink until I started the car. When I drove around the block, with the car hesitating and sputtering at start up, the lights finally stopped blinking. When I parked in the driveway and shut the car off they did not blink. When I turned the car on again they did not blink. I have been told that the computer has to reset itself if the battery has been dead for a long time. The car sat for over a month with a dead battery in the car. I do not know if driving around the block a couple of times helped or if it would have done the same sitting in the driveway for a while with the battery charged and connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Yes, I've heard the same and it seems consistent with what I'm observing too :) .
I am having trouble with the car cranking over and not wanting run because of fuel problems. If I give it a little gas it runs, albeit poorly. Too much gas and it wants to stall out. I have driven it around the block a couple of times and it seems like it runs smoothly once I get going then runs poorly again. I am hoping this is because the computer still needs time to rest the fuel sensors. I am going to look for split vacuum hoses and make sure all the sensors are connected and clean the throttle plate. The car ran well before I let it sit for a month, waiting for a part, and the battery discharged. I will let you know if it straightens out or if I found something disconnected

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.