Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I took my 2006 Hyundai Sonata to auto tire for 4 new tires. I have about 43,000 miles on the car. They called and said that it needed an alignment and the only way to get it into alignment with the dealer's specifications is to install a new ball joint? They're telling me the factory installed one is not adjustable and in order to get it in perfect alignment I will need to replace the factory installed one with an adjustable one for $263! Is this true? This does not make sense to me. Why would the factory installed part not be adjustable if that's what is needed to get it aligned properly?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

l am moving your post over to the sonata forum for a better response

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, it's true to a certain extent. The question is: Do you really need it adjusted? Were the tires wearing funny? How about the handling... is it sloppy or heavy?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Merb @ Nov 2 2010, 02:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368361
They called and said that it needed an alignment and the only way to get it into alignment with the dealer's specifications is to install a new ball joint?
BS, take car to somebody that knows how to do an alignment..

They're telling me the factory installed one is not adjustable and in order to get it in perfect alignment I will need to replace the factory installed one with an adjustable one for $263! Is this true? This does not make sense to me. Why would the factory installed part not be adjustable if that's what is needed to get it aligned properly?

Thanks.

What are the current numbers as measured before anything done ??? Or did they just look at car and determine magically you need $263 worth od $60 and 15 minute ball joint before it ever got set up on rack and first measures taken ??

In specs is a broad term... setting the car up square with minimal spread and toe/thrust straight is setting a car up for a purpose... In specs is sloppy.... You could bring me a car that drives like total DOOO DOOO and it may still be in specs.. find somebody that is going to set the car up right and help eliminate/minimize existing tire wear and provide better handling for the driver.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've had mine done twice and still on the original joints. It aligned perfectly, car handles well, tires wear even. The shop I go to knows how I like it. Normally my cars get Toe and Camber dead on to factory spec (not the plus/minus range), and Caster set to max recommended setting. No one can say anything as it's in factory "spec" and they don't give me any of the "road crown" setting BS. The roads I drive on pitch both ways so if they set it for that it really pulls going the opposite way.

One alignment on my Corolla they had a "new guy" do it. I came back 15 minutes later to have it redone as the car wandered a lot and if you turned the wheel part way like going into a parking space it completed turning the wheel by itself BUT it was still in factory spec range :whistling:

My father in laws car the rear tires had a high camber setting and the outside of his tires had 7/32" tread while the inside had 4/32" and that was also still in "range".

Find a good shop and let them do it. Yours MIGHT be worn like they said but unless they can give you some numbers printed out first I'd be real weary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts