Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feel they have alignment issues with their '11 Sonata?

Backstory:

I took delivery of mine during the first week of April and from the start I noticed a serious pull to the left while moving at higway speeds. The pull isn't detectible under 60 MPH at all. Its the darnedest thing. I can see it during acceleration or just cruising. At first I just chalked it up to my inexperience driving a vehicle with electronic steering, but later noticed my left hand becoming muscular from having to hold the steering wheel to the right during my commutes. When I say serious, I mean doing 65 in the middle lane, nice and flat SW Ohio highway, keeping the car straight and once I let go of the wheel I break the plane of the fast lane in a second. It really is pretty bad.

I made an appointment with the dealer's service drive to get two things done; remove some protective sticker gunk on the finish and to check the alignment. Phone call from the tech states he got on the highway and found exactly what I was talking about. Later that day he calls back saying they performed an alignment but the pull is still somewhat present. He claims the car's suspension is to blame. Once I get my hotness back, I get on the highway and find nothing has changed, the pull to the left is still heavy and immediate.

At this point I feel a little defeated since when a tech blames a situation on "just how they are", there is really little more I can do. I almost want to go to a different local dealer and test drive another just to see if I can find it.

My question is, am I alone here? Is there anyone else feeling the left pull during highway speeds?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I feel a slight pull towards the left too.. I thought I was the only one experiencing this and thought I must be sitting with a bad posture or something to cause this.. I was going to mention this to the dealer but thought maybe when I go in for an oil change i'll mention to the people there and see if they can do anything or see anything wrong...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Haven't noticed anything. The fastest I've driven was 90km/h(55mph) so far. I'm being gentle with her, lol. Next time I'll step on it a little bit and post back if
I notice anything.

·
Registered
932 Posts
All cars are designed to pull 'slightly' to the left. This is to account for the crown in the road. If they didn't, you'd constantly feel like the car is pulling right. But occasionally you'll get on an expressway where the left lane is cantered to the left and the pull will then feel very pronounced.

That's not to say that some folks might not have an alignment issue. But for those that do, pay extra attention to the angle of the road itself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I noticed that on my car also. I took it in and they said it is the tire pressure, but that did not fix the problem. I did not have the time to take it in for a second service since it took them 5 hours to redo my tire pressure.

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 30 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318299
All cars are designed to pull 'slightly' to the left. This is to account for the crown in the road. If they didn't, you'd constantly feel like the car is pulling right. But occasionally you'll get on an expressway where the left lane is cantered to the left and the pull will then feel very pronounced.

That's not to say that some folks might not have an alignment issue. But for those that do, pay extra attention to the angle of the road itself.
Exactly right. If you will look in to your highway closely (just please dont stick your head outside the car) you will notice that surface is not really flat but going under the gentle angle. However if you think something is not right, i would suggest to take a test drive in another Sonata so you can have some base point to compare...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine definately drifted to the left when I got it. It took it in and the rotated my tires and it seemed to take care of the problem. I still think the steering is a little too sensitive but I no longer notice it drifting to the left. As stated above most roads are crowned and if you are driving on a straight stretch of freeway in the right lane and the car still drifts to the left when you release the wheel something is wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow those are interesting posts! Granted our freeways are pretty smooth here but still with my cruise set at 75 or 80 I can take my hands off the wheel and just let it go straight (im an SE). Hmmm...

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is a problem on all 2011 Sonatas because Hyundai has not figured out the right CASTER SPLIT specs for the new setup. The right wheel is actually set further to the front than the other to compensate for the crown in the road . I am going to take my Limited to be aligned and tweaked asap. I suspect I am going to end up aligning it out of specs to get a satisfactory setting. Remember the caster split does not effect tire wear. Toe and camber do. I have put several thousand miles on 3 different 2011's and each car had a different level of sensitivity steering wise. I was hit by a crosswind on a desolate stretch of interstate while doing 90 mph and the car jumped into the opposte lane with little or no steering effort. Scary stuff. The SE seems to me to be uber twitchy because of the bigger tires. This is definately not the car you want to be driving after a couple of drinks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Lilalleykatt @ May 1 2010, 07:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318478
This is a problem on all 2011 Sonatas because Hyundai has not figured out the right CASTER SPLIT specs for the new setup. The right wheel is actually set further to the front than the other to compensate for the crown in the road . I am going to take my Limited to be aligned and tweaked asap. I suspect I am going to end up aligning it out of specs to get a satisfactory setting. Remember the caster split does not effect tire wear. Toe and camber do. I have put several thousand miles on 3 different 2011's and each car had a different level of sensitivity steering wise. I was hit by a crosswind on a desolate stretch of interstate while doing 90 mph and the car jumped into the opposte lane with little or no steering effort. Scary stuff. The SE seems to me to be uber twitchy because of the bigger tires. This is definately not the car you want to be driving after a couple of drinks.
Do you even know if caster is adjustable on the Sonata? It's been about 15 years since I was in the business, but back then most cars only allowed toe adjustments.

Please keep us informed. I'm convinced that a lot of the complaints about the higher speed straight line driving are caster related.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Lilalleykatt @ May 1 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318550
Caster is adjustable via threaded radius rods. On the old ones that were not adjustable you could install a shim to get what you needed.
Let me know after you get yours changed how it affects the wander at higher speeds. I'll be curious.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ May 1 2010, 01:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318569
Let me know after you get yours changed how it affects the wander at higher speeds. I'll be curious.
I felt just a very small touch of "wander" on mine. (Mostly in strong wind)

Based on some posts on another thread here, I checked my tire pressures. 37.5 lbs all around! I dropped it down to 34 PSI, and it rides better (not that it was bad before) and it also seems to have improved the steering feel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great replies, thank you all! I fear that mine may be just a little too adjusted for highway crowning since it pulls heavily left once I let go of the wheel. I'll check my tire pressure to see if that makes a difference. Any little bit will help I suppose.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My one pulls slightly to the left also, but it's not that big of a deal. I'll get an alignment after I lower it some.

·
Banned
630 Posts
mine also seems to wander (esp at speeds above 70)

I attribute it to the WONDERFUL hankook tires that mine came with

I also would comment on alignment but I'm under the impression all my cars have cockeyed alignment...but then again trying to find a flat, smooth road in NY is like looking for a hooker in Manhattan

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 29 2010, 03:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337204
mine also seems to wander (esp at speeds above 70)

I attribute it to the WONDERFUL hankook tires that mine came with

I also would comment on alignment but I'm under the impression all my cars have cockeyed alignment...but then again trying to find a flat, smooth road in NY is like looking for a hooker in Manhattan
Yeah the roads make a big difference! Mine still wanders on brand spanking new flat **** florida highways.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts