Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Sonata needs an alignment, I think.

I paid Pep Boys for a 1 Year plan a few months ago along with balancing/rotation. My steering wheel was a bit to the left to go straight after the alignment, so I took it back. They did another alignment and it was still a little to the left but less than before.

When I got my car inspected last weekend, the mechanic called me over to show how 3 of my tires were great, but the passenger front showed signs of uneven wear and just barely passed with 3/32 tread.

I'm replacing the tire tomorrow and will then have Pep Boys align the car again. Can the Sonata have all 4 wheels adjusted? I remember my Impala didn't support most of the tow/camber tweaks on the rear wheels.

Also, it's been around 4,000 miles since the alignment/rotation. Should I have them rotated again?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
622 Posts
My 2013 Sonata needs an alignment, I think.

I paid Pep Boys for a 1 Year plan a few months ago along with balancing/rotation. My steering wheel was a bit to the left to go straight after the alignment, so I took it back. They did another alignment and it was still a little to the left but less than before.

When I got my car inspected last weekend, the mechanic called me over to show how 3 of my tires were great, but the passenger front showed signs of uneven wear and just barely passed with 3/32 tread.

I'm replacing the tire tomorrow and will then have Pep Boys align the car again. Can the Sonata have all 4 wheels adjusted? I remember my Impala didn't support most of the tow/camber tweaks on the rear wheels.

Also, it's been around 4,000 miles since the alignment/rotation. Should I have them rotated again?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Can only adjust the toe in the front, toe and camber in rear. I wonder if pep boys is re calibrating your steering angle sensor? That's part of the process when aligning electric steering. I've heard not doing that will cause steering wheel centering issues.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sorry, first mistake was Pep Boys. My experience with any of the lifetime or 1 year plans is that they may not do the alignment after the first one, just bring it in and drive it back out. A steering wheel not being straight does not necessarily mean the front end is out of alignment, that is a separate adjustment and wheel can be off but alignment be okay.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I always wonder when I read posts about alignment. I've owned many many cars over the years, driven some to 150k and never saw the need for a wheel alignment. Perhaps just my driving conditions.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I always wonder when I read posts about alignment. I've owned many many cars over the years, driven some to 150k and never saw the need for a wheel alignment.
Thats funny..

You should see all the before numbers of units I align, even those that is fresh off the transport from Hyundai..

When I am done, the wheels is a whole lot more square and numbers minimized to reduce tire wear.. not just a red/green align ('it's green, ship it"), it's reading the numbers and knowing what they mean and what will be end result

YF Sonata as received and driven by owner will tear up the rear tires, make noise.. you not driven it long enough..

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Thats funny..

You should see all the before numbers of units I align, even those that is fresh off the transport from Hyundai..

When I am done, the wheels is a whole lot more square and numbers minimized to reduce tire wear.. not just a red/green align ('it's green, ship it"), it's reading the numbers and knowing what they mean and what will be end result

YF Sonata as received and driven by owner will tear up the rear tires, make noise.. you not driven it long enough..
I just hit 30k and the tires are still fat with tread. They will go to 45 or 50.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the tire replaced yesterday, but I wasn't able to get to Pep Boys for an alignment check. I'm planning to go to a different one since the original shop seems to have an extra special breed of stupid working there. (they showed me my dirty engine air filter and offered to change it for $40, but fell silent when I asked why it it didn't say K&N like the one in my car)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured I'd bump this thread instead of creating another one. I went ahead and replaced my tires yesterday, went with Pirelli P7. Great price and excellent reviews. The shop I went to was able to align the front of the car, but told me the read could not be done because the camber bolts were seized. Is this related to the lower control arm recall, or something else I need to get taken care of at the dealer?

Here is a copy of my alignment report for anyone interested:
imgur: the simple image sharer

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Jeezie Petes,, that car had to drive like real piece of crap with all the gross toe front and rear.. sure you any tires left ?? Going around curve at speed had to be a real experience..

Arm recall TP3 has to do with the earlier aluminum arms,, corrosion would cause the arm to split at inner bushing from what I understand,, we not seen it at our place. Frozen camber bolts are side effect of exposure to elements,, we been putting some lube in the bushing' sleeve and on the bolt to slow the seizure process.

Being able to adjust the rear for camber now likely going to require arm replacement since bolts seized in the bushing sleeve and numbers rather gross.. be interesting to see if dealer can get Hyundai Motor to do something to make your car adjustable again. Be interesting to see what they have to offer for solution so your dont waste your new set of tires

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeezie Petes,, that car had to drive like real piece of crap with all the gross toe front and rear.. sure you any tires left ?? Going around curve at speed had to be a real experience..

Arm recall TP3 has to do with the earlier aluminum arms,, corrosion would cause the arm to split at inner bushing from what I understand,, we not seen it at our place. Frozen camber bolts are side effect of exposure to elements,, we been putting some lube in the bushing' sleeve and on the bolt to slow the seizure process.

Being able to adjust the rear for camber now likely going to require arm replacement since bolts seized in the bushing sleeve and numbers rather gross.. be interesting to see if dealer can get Hyundai Motor to do something to make your car adjustable again. Be interesting to see what they have to offer for solution so your dont waste your new set of tires
The strange thing is, I had no issues with handling or steering on the other tires. I did hit get a blowout the other day from a pothole on a bridge. Could that cause a sudden severe change to the alignment?

I'm not gonna go back to my dealer since it's a 40 mile drive and their service department specializes in stupid. I'm going to try one much closer to my house and hopefully they'll be able to do something under warranty.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I did hit get a blowout the other day from a pothole on a bridge. Could that cause a sudden severe change to the alignment?
I would say if you hit a pothole hard enough to blow out the tire, it's VERY possible it could have gotten knocked out of alignment.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say if you hit a pothole hard enough to blow out the tire, it's VERY possible it could have gotten knocked out of alignment.
Sure. I was just curious based on sbr's reaction if it could be that bad from a single pothole. Hopefully driving for a few days with the camber out of whack doesn't cause damage to my new tires.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Usually hitting pothole and pinch tire to blow out is about as far as it goes, maybe bent lip(s) on wheel... sometimes if hit really hard, or curbed nicely.. then expect to see single whacked align numbers,,, but in your case, all 4 corners were way out of whack, look at the gross toes,, and the gross camber values out back..

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Usually hitting pothole and pinch tire to blow out is about as far as it goes, maybe bent lip(s) on wheel... sometimes if hit really hard, or curbed nicely.. then expect to see single whacked align numbers,,, but in your case, all 4 corners were way out of whack, look at the gross toes,, and the gross camber values out back..
Thanks. I'm going to call the dealer near my house today and hopefully drop it off tomorrow morning for them to look at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts