Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 07 SF GLS with approx. 35,000 miles and the tires are wearing very heavily on the inside(too much negative camber?), has any one had this problem before and was an alignment able to resolve the issue?

Could it be just the tires and not an alignment problem as it still has the original Bridgestone?

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
354 Posts
I had three of my Bridgestone's cup & had to replace them. Alignment was the problem.
And don't forget to align the back as well as the front. Or at least check it.

Bruce

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
4 wheel align capable..

Provide before and after numbers

(3) items play in tire wear :

A - Air

B - Rotate

C - Align

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
In my experience, Hyundais are terrible at holding an alignment and I have trashed pretty much every set of tires on the car because of that. Now I maintain a strict alignment check every 15,000 miles. If it's even slightly off, I have it brought back in.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 6 2010, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330467
In my experience, Hyundais are terrible at holding an alignment and I have trashed pretty much every set of tires on the car because of that. Now I maintain a strict alignment check every 15,000 miles. If it's even slightly off, I have it brought back in.
I've pretty well beat the crap out of my '08 Ltd a few times, and have yet to see any indication of a misalignment either front or rear. Fronts wear more quickly (no surprise, as it's FWD most of the time), but both front and rear are pretty much dead flat across the surface. No inner/outer wear or cupping evident. Just over 23K miles now. No alignments done yet.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I keep reading about alignment complaints with the SF, but after 50,000 km have yet to observe it myself.

Rotate, rotate, rotate...

·
Registered
501 Posts
^^^^ :thumbsup:

Same here. No alignment problem to date. Had it checked recently (a long time before I would normally do it) after reading some posts here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At 31k my OEM tires are pretty much trashed. I have replaced two so far (with General Grabbers). I rotated religiously and the tires were severely cupped and worn. I have had two alignments as well. Have had alignment problems since day one, really. Otherwise, I love the car!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (jsven @ Jun 10 2010, 08:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331635
At 31k my OEM tires are pretty much trashed. I have replaced two so far (with General Grabbers). I rotated religiously and the tires were severely cupped and worn. I have had two alignments as well. Have had alignment problems since day one, really. Otherwise, I love the car!
Whoa. You replaced two? I take it you've got the FWD and not the AWD.

Did you update with the General HTS Grabbers, in particular? They don't make a 235/60-18 but I've been looking at 255/55-18 as it's within a whisker of the right OD and opens up a much larger range of tires.

I've looked long and hard at the options, and am still surprised that I found a tire like the HTS under the General name. It's impossible to find an H speed rated tire with a 600+ tread rating, "A" traction rating, 60K mi. p/r tread warranty, 109 XL duty (the 109 XL provides a bit heavier construction which bodes well for some off-road plans I have), and good snow performance... and does this at a price substantially less than a lot of products without specs that good.

I rotated out my front/rear about 3K ago, and found a couple of decent pull-offs to put in the rear to match out the front/rear tread depth (I've got AWD and can't jack around with odd diameters - and believe me, a 235/60-18 from one manufacturer can have a rather different OD from that of another). What I've got on now might get me another 10K - giving me about 35K total before my 684IIs are completely toast. And that 10K won't take long, so I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the Generals if you bought the model I'm describing above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, they are General Grabber HTS (235/70-16). Installed they were $104.00 at my local tire shop. I only replaced two so far due to financial limitations. I'll be replacing the other two in a couple of weeks before a long trip. The OEM Bridgestones are garbage, in my opinion. The Generals have a 640 tread rating (compared to the 360 on the OEMs). I haven't had them long yet, and haven't had the whole set on yet to tell you how they perform. Check them out on TireRack, though. I think they are the second highest rated tire in their class.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
They get about half again that for my 255/55-18's, but it buys me a more heavily constructed version of the tire, and that's still a good deal compared to other tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
**Update***

Yesterday I went to Discount Tire and purchased four new Prodigy H/T tires (made my Pirelli) and stopped the local Hyundai dealership to have the alignment done, the rear wheels had a -2.9 camber causing the wear. They corrected this and the Santa Fe drives great, definitely less "twitchy" when cornering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2011 Sonata has 500 miles and I noticed after I got it back from the dealer for the 2nd time (key stuck in ignition) the car drifts.
Had a Lexus IS 350 and had to aling every time I hit a bump so as not to ruin the $370 tires. How much have you paid for a Sonata alignment?

I always had to go to a garage that had a special computer to align the Lexus (wish I new that before buying it) anyway will I have the same issue with the Sonata?

Also the steering was tight when I took the car home but again, after getting it back from the dealer it seems much looser. I'm in the lane next to me more than before. What could that be caused by?

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (eg146 @ Jun 18 2010, 12:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334127
My 2011 Sonata has 500 miles and I noticed after I got it back from the dealer for the 2nd time (key stuck in ignition) the car drifts.
Had a Lexus IS 350 and had to aling every time I hit a bump so as not to ruin the $370 tires. How much have you paid for a Sonata alignment?

I always had to go to a garage that had a special computer to align the Lexus (wish I new that before buying it) anyway will I have the same issue with the Sonata?

Also the steering was tight when I took the car home but again, after getting it back from the dealer it seems much looser. I'm in the lane next to me more than before. What could that be caused by?
Possibly tire pressure? Easy to check before making the trip back to the dealer...
--Frank

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (eg146 @ Jun 18 2010, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334127
"Tight" is a bit subjective, but if by that you mean it wanders a bit now vs before ...

A bad toe-in setting on the alignment (too close to neutral, or worse, some toe out) could cause that feeling. A normal alignment actually causes the front edges of your front tires to point to the inside of the vehicle slightly so that it self-centers well (doesn't drift).
High tire pressure actually makes the car more responsive ("twitchy", if you will) and any little input to the wheel would cause movement - giving you the sense that you were wandering a bit.

It's not like the old days where they'd play around with the sector gear on a power steering system. Rack and pinion pretty well put the end to that sort of tweaking.

If you're convinced that it's drifting a good bit more than it was, I'd check the pressure, and if nothing is found there, take it back to the dealer and describe how it feels different to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts