Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with a Tire guy who also owns a NF Sonata. While he told me it might be worth passing on his no name Chinese "Sunny" Tires they sell,

especially if I can order B F Goodrich G Force Sport tires for $85 delivered with $60 rebate.

My question, I just learned the Sonata needs a 4 Wheel Alignment. Why?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
4-wheel alignment is sort of the standard nowadays. What with all the ABS, ESC, etc. you pretty much need all 4 wheels properly aligned to the car to so that these safety features can function properly. With Firestone's lifetime alignment, I get mine checked for free every oil/filter change, or any time I feel it needs checking, and nearly always some minor adjustment(s) needs to be made.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. But it is double the price too. I should just keep my Michelin Pilots until they explode. You see I learned something in the first

couple months of ownership. The Sonata can have a multitude of serious front end vibration problems if not serviced correctly. That is why I

don't want any balancing or alignment work ever. Of course you need this when buying new Tires. I wasn't sure about the 4 Wheel service though.

At least they use the Hunter machine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 4 2010, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354312
Thank you. But it is double the price too. I should just keep my Michelin Pilots until they explode. You see I learned something in the first

couple months of ownership. The Sonata can have a multitude of serious front end vibration problems if not serviced correctly. That is why I

don't want any balancing or alignment work ever. Of course you need this when buying new Tires. I wasn't sure about the 4 Wheel service though.

At least they use the Hunter machine. :thumbsup:
That's why I bought the lifetime alignment, more than pays for itself in the first year or two. Alignment goes out of adjustment as a rule, especially during the winter months. You might be doing more harm by not getting regular alignment checks. Not all alignment problems can be felt by the driver. For instance, the Pirellis on my Saab lasted 10-15K. I couldn't believe it, tires were all worn out, never felt any pull or anything. I went and got my first 4-wheel alignment and the shop told my my back axle, solid axle, was bent from being chained down during shipping. I went back to dealership and complained, had they told me that at time of sale I would have gotten a 4-wheel alignment right away. All they would do is pay for the 4-wheel alignment, I had to shell out $800 for new tires way too soon. Even though the back axle never needed adjustment again, I always got a 4-wheel alignment. To this day I get a 4-wheel alignment check at least every 5K.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see "Lifetime Balancing" is quite popular but a "Lifetime Alignment" agreement must be pretty expensive? Why does the Dealer

do a Rotation on a less frequent basis than they should, and some don't even do it at all, but just say they do and charge you?

When I first read about your Firestone agreement in another post it seemed somewhat excessive to do a 2 or 4 wheel rotation & alignment

every 5K, but I have read about the benefits of doing so. I thought I knew more about Tires? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 4 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354331
I see "Lifetime Balancing" is quite popular but a "Lifetime Alignment" agreement must be pretty expensive? Why does the Dealer

do a Rotation on a less frequent basis than they should, and some don't even do it at all, but just say they do and charge you?

When I first read about your Firestone agreement in another post it seemed somewhat excessive to do a 2 or 4 wheel rotation & alignment

every 5K, but I have read about the benefits of doing so. I thought I knew more about Tires? :thumbsup:
Lifetime alignment, for as long as you own vehicle, was $140 last October when we purchased our Sonata. Rotation's free on tires purchased at Firestone.
Lifetime balance, lifetime of tires, is typically included in purchase price of tire. Road hazard protection runs about $10-$20 per tire and is optional.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps there would be no need for this service if the Streets in our Country weren't in such horrible shape. And Road debris
can be Deadly, especially in South Florida where they find impaled drivers regularly. I had never heard of someone buying a
Sonata then rushing to Firestone? Yet the cost of an Alignment or two can cost $140 alone. And although I hate to admit it, the Sonata
is prone to alignment, vibration, front end, and suspension problems. Wouldn't you know I have seen none of these problems yet, although
I am seeing slight wear with my crummy OEM Pilots. Worst tire ever. Just ordered those BF Goodrich G Force Sport tires at a super lower price!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts