Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

(Sorry I’m advance for the long post)
I have a 2014 genesis coup 2.0t rpec with ~70k miles. Recently I hit a decently sized pothole with my right front tire (city roads are the best). Due to this I knew my alignment would be out, but began hearing a squeaking sound every time the tire went over any type of bump or non-leveled road.
Popped the hood and noticed that the strut mount seemed to now be touching the strut on the back side where the strut sticks out of the mount. Took my car to a suspension shop and they told me the the lower control arm was the issue.
After the change was complete and my car was realigned the drive felt close to normal, but the noise remained only less prevalent. After a few days I began noticing that the noise returned to before and my car seems to be going back out of alignment. I tried bending the strut mount opening so that it was no longer touching the strut and that did not work either.

Any ideas on what the issue could be here? Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge on the situation. If there is anything unclear please let me know and I will do my best to clarify.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Maybe a bent strut. You can take them out spring, hat and all pretty easy. There are many slightly used OE struts on FaceBook and eBay as many replace the factory with coil overs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input!

Are there any specific tools I’d need to replace this and are the OE part the full strut with the spring and all or just the strut typically? I was under the impression that if I needed to replace solely the strut decompressing and recompressing the spring can be difficult and dangerous.

Do you know how much this repair would usually cost if brought to a shop with the parts?

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Front struts come out all in one piece. Then normally you take the spring off after it is out of the car. This can be dangerous and you need the correct tools or take the assembly to a shop for them to work on.

But there are only the two bolts at the bottom and the 3 or 4 small bolts on top. and they come out rather easily. Alignment is not usually affected but if you had a bent one and they aligned to that then it will be off with new parts.

You can look around and see what a Quick Strut cost. This comes with a new spring and hat with the bearing already assembled. But struts should be replaced in pairs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts