Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 63K miles, and 3rd set of tires.

OEM's lasted about 32K, 2nd set about 26K. When I got the 3rd set, they said it was out of alignment, so I paid for 'lifetime' alignment.

I rotate the tires every oil change (about 3-4K miles)...

So after 6K with new tires I ask them to check alignment and the driver's side rear was 'way out' and has caused 'cupping' on that tire...so it was aligned again.

So the questions I pose:

Is the alignment problem normal?

Have you had to get alignment(s)?

Is it caused from driving habits of the wife or could there something wrong with the parts/vehicle/alignment person or equipment?

(My truck (02 DodgeRam) has 120K miles on 3rd set of tires and have never required an alignment...)

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (Klute @ Oct 25 2010, 06:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366099
So the questions I pose:

Is it caused from driving habits of the wife or could there something wrong with the parts/vehicle/alignment person or equipment?

(My truck (02 DodgeRam) has 120K miles on 3rd set of tires and have never required an alignment...)

Thanks..
I am a big fan of the lifetime alignment and I regularly get a 4-wheel alignment every 5K miles or so, at the very minimum twice a year. Periodically the alignment can be way out, I would not be too concerned with one time. Driving habits should have little bearing on the alignment unless those habits include hitting every pothole in the road or regularly travelling over bad/dirt roads. If, however, you continually have alignment or tire wear issues, especially if the alignment goes out in the same way repetitively, then I would have the a thorough inspection of all of the suspension components performed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Klute @ Oct 25 2010, 08:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366099
Car has 53K miles, and 3rd set of tires.

OEM's lasted about 32K, 2nd set about 26K. When I got the 3rd set, they said it was out of alignment, so I paid for 'lifetime' alignment.

I rotate the tires every oil change (about 3-4K miles)...

So after 6K with new tires I ask them to check alignment and the driver's side rear was 'way out' and has caused 'cupping' on that tire...so it was aligned again.

So the questions I pose:

Thanks..
I have over 47000 miles on my original tires and expect to get over 20K more out of them. Wear is very even all around. I rotate every other oil change (~10k miles ). I do not believe in getting an alignment unless there is visible evidence that its needed. With the inexperience /untrained operators combined with uncalibrated machines, you can end up with it worst than when you started.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first set wore out early IMO, but going into winter I replaced them a little early.

The 2nd set wore out way too fast due to alignment issues.

Now 3rd set has 6K on them...3 of 4 tires are reading at 9 & 10 tread left while the 4th tire is at a 6 & 7....sounds like the same issues are repeating themselves.

It's nice to have lifetime alignments, but it is frustrating to spend the time to drop off and/or wait (longer than just rotate and oil changes)...

My truck on the other hand is driven off road, hauling trailers etc w/o any problems...go figure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I always get an alignment when I get new tires but have that done at a shop I know and trust not normally the normal tire place. I watch for cupping/uneven wear on a regular basis and will get one done if I notice odd wear. I bought a tire depth gauge for a couple dollars at the store which also gives you more exact numbers on how they are wearing on edges vs. middle and front vs. back.

In my experience on my 4 cyl, 5 speed with mix 65-35% highway/city my Sonata wears the fronts at twice the rate as the backs but does so very evenly so I just need to make sure I rotate on a regular basis.

One benefit to asymmetrical tires vs. directional is you can also swap sides to help even out the wear. I normally do rear to front and cross the fronts going to rear. 41K at 3/32" on all 4 is actually pretty good for me so I was quite happy with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had my original tires on for about 27,000 miles before I got new rims and tires put on them. I needed an alignment then. I just had new tires installed on my car yesterday because the Kumho tires I had sucked. 2 1/2 years after my last alignment, 41,000 miles, a set of crappy tires, and driving on horrible, pothole filled Michigan roads, I did not need an alignment. I'd say that there are no alignment problems at all, in fact, I was surprised to see the printout showing my car was fine. I now assume the pulling to the right was a direct result of the Kumho tires, and I had that problem when those tires were still new.

I had Michelin Energy Savers put on my car, and the ride is as far as I can remember, smoother than when the car was new.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My original Michelin Pilots lasted 100,000 kms (~60,000 miles). I have owned this car over three years now and have not had an alignment done. I have not noticed any unusual tire wear issues.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My wifes 06 Sonata has the original tires on them and the car just passed 20k miles. Rotated the tires a few times in its life, and just recently it needed an alignment for the first time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had the same issues with alignment with my passenger side rear wearing out .....yes my car is lowered ...but was done 2yrs ago and didnt have any issues untill this year....after checking all the balljoints and strut mounts they all needed to be changed....so you might wanna check those parts and go from there......i did this 6months ago and havent had any problems since....i forgot to mention i was going through tires every 2months....

·
Registered
587 Posts
My stock Michelins lasted 70k, I could have gotten 80k out of I wanted. Right now, I have Summitomo Touring LST with about 40k on them. Tread depth is around 7/32nds. I have one Good year on there with 15k maybe and 9/32 or 10/32 I forget. My alignment was way off, tires cupped car pulls to the left. What can ya do...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts