Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the airbag light come on in my 06 V6 a few months back. Took to my mechanic and he read the code which said drivers pretensioner bad. He replaced the assembly and the light was off for about five minutes. It came back on so I took it to dealer to see if it was part of recall I received a while back. They said that it wasn't and I needed to replace the driver's side seatbelt pretensioner. I told them my mechanic had just replaced and even had the old parts in my trunk.

They told me that they read the light and that's what it is. Took it back to my mechanic and he pulled it out and made Hyundai replace it under his warranty. Put the new one in and the light is still on.

I've been driving around now with no airbags and nobody seems to know how to fix it.

I see there are several people in various forums with a similar issue including many complaints at NHTSA. I would think that not having air bags in a car equipped with them and the company not being able to fix the problem would be a major issue but I'm not familiar with what is considered acceptable as far as safety goes.

Has anyone had the problem and been able to actually fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It may be the dealer has to reset the code with their whizzo, dealer-only computer IN ADDITION TO replacing the faulty part. If I was the dealer, no way in **** would I reset the air bag light for another mechanic; the liability is too great. If this is the case I'm afraid fixing the air bag light is a dealer-only repair. Maybe one of the Hyundai techs that post here would know if the light has to be cleared with the computer. Clearing the code by disconnecting the battery might not do anything.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Had the airbag light come on in my 06 V6 a few months back. Took to my mechanic and he read the code which said drivers pretensioner bad.
What was the exact DTC in Bxxxx format ?? We have a belt pre-tension exploder circuit and a buckle pre-tension exploder circuit.. when fired, the eploder pulls the buckle down to snug belt, and the exploder in the seat belt retractor fires to wind the belt to pull snug also to further restrain occupant tighter to seat.

He replaced the assembly and the light was off for about five minutes.
Did they scan again, what was the DTC ?

It came back on so I took it to dealer to see if it was part of recall I received a while back.
Recall is for passenger detect in the seat cushion of the passenger front seat to tell control unit if there is a passenger in the seat, or junk based on the print to the detection grid

They said that it wasn't and I needed to replace the driver's side seatbelt pretensioner. I told them my mechanic had just replaced and even had the old parts in my trunk.

They told me that they read the light and that's what it is. Took it back to my mechanic and he pulled it out and made Hyundai replace it under his warranty. Put the new one in and the light is still on.
Did they supply you with copy of GDS screen shot ?? Was the DTC marked as "ACTIVE",,, or was it marked "HISTORY" ?

I've been driving around now with no airbags and nobody seems to know how to fix it.

I see there are several people in various forums with a similar issue including many complaints at NHTSA. I would think that not having air bags in a car equipped with them and the company not being able to fix the problem would be a major issue but I'm not familiar with what is considered acceptable as far as safety goes.

Has anyone had the problem and been able to actually fix it?

Thanks!
SRS is easy system to repair if you know what is going on and how to repair the system..

Typically with GDS hooked up, when code is marked "ACTIVE" we know there is fault in circuit that SRSCM see... leave the DTC there until repair made,, if valid repair, you can see the "ACTIVE" change to "HISTORY".. then I will clear the HISTORY DTC, exit out of SRS, and do a key cycle and let the chime ding for the 6 second count, and watch the SRS light go out.. if it stays out all is well.... if it come back on after going out, then we still have issue somewhere, and go back in and scan again and see what pop up this time.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
It may be the dealer has to reset the code with their whizzo, dealer-only computer IN ADDITION TO replacing the faulty part. If I was the dealer, no way in **** would I reset the air bag light for another mechanic; the liability is too great. If this is the case I'm afraid fixing the air bag light is a dealer-only repair. Maybe one of the Hyundai techs that post here would know if the light has to be cleared with the computer. Clearing the code by disconnecting the battery might not do anything.
You cannot clear DTC on SRS if there is an actual fault still live,, it'll come back in a few seconds or right now.... you make a repair, then if repair valid, you can clear the DTC from memory.. as stated above, I leave the DTC intact while performing repair.. if repair valid, I can see that the DTC has changed from ACTIVE to HISTORY,, then I can clear memory of DTC.. be sure to verify current and history slots is clear..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does anybody know where to buy the SRS scanner for 06 Sonata? I think my issue might be in history not active now. Light is still on. I had a frozen seatbelt button. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts