Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars airbag light has been on and wont go away. Some other information, the seat belt flashing light sensor that detects someone sitting in the front passenger seat is on even though someone isnt sitting there and goes away when I put in the seat belt. I think that may be a different issue but I dont like the airbag light on in my car. I checked online theres no recalls for my VIN and the dealer said it would be $95 just to scan. What would you do?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,272 Posts
You really need to have it scanned to know what circuit it is that's upsetting the control module. You don't necessarily need to have that done at a Hyundai dealer though. Any decent independent garage should be able to scan it for you. I suspect an independent wont charge as much as a main dealer will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The few garages Ive been to dont mess with that kind of thing but I guess you're right, my problem is I dont wanna dump a lot of money into fixing it, it is something that really concerns me I guess calling around some more wont hurt

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
They could be related issues...for the He11 of it I would check under the pass. seat to see if something is jammed up it there. :unsure:

Reactions: PJ DUNN

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
459 Posts
I've read that some SRS components are covered for 10 years. You might want to read the fine print of the warranty page of the owners manual....worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I wanted to do this but im not sure how to take it out exactly with those kind of bolts
...just a visual check under the seat!

·
Registered
882 Posts
move the passenger's seat back and forth several times, then back to neutral position, so you have a chance to restore the electrical circuit. I did this when the airbag was on, then the light has been staying off for 2 years

If you have to work on these wires, be sure to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes to make sure there's no power on airbags

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Go to dealer and take the estimate, with understanding that if it come up with any of (3) select codes, you win FREE repair.. if not any of the 3 select code, then you pay

Let me put this out up front --

DTC Information:

 B1701: Buckle Pretensioner - Driver resistance too high.
 B1706: Buckle Pretensioner - Passenger resistance too high.

If a vehicle exhibits one or both of the listed DTCs, follow the service procedure(s) described in this
bulletin.

Applicable Vehicles: 2006 - 2008 Sonata (NF)

Note: Pretensioner warranty coverage has been extended to 15 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 250,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Code number 3 be a B1448,,,,, this should explain the silly light monkey business for Passenger Detect in the seat (ON/OFF)

B1448 been covered in here many times, and the repair procedure is to remove seat cushion (dealer should be very well versed in the art of seat cushion removal).. the cushion is boxed up and sent to Hyundai Mobis in CA via FED-EX Overnight,,, Hyundai will return cushion with new mat-module to dealer overnight again..

The reason they did not find Recall is the 1448 is under the 083,, and it is handled on a "PER CAR" basis when they show up with warning light and B1448

Here again, dealer should be very well versed in the art of 083.... if not, they not up to speed some 10yr now since it come along

Feel FREE to print reply and read it aloud to the fella at the service desk if they give you any grief,, or hand it to him for them to read...

BTW -- help us help you.. I see no hint in 1st post what yr chassis and engine,, no location,, so I dont know if you USA (makes my reply extremely accurate) or you off shore in some other country (my reply be of no value in off shore paradise)... finish fill in your profile...

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to start off with I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS v6. I am in New York, US. Thank you for the detailed information and advice. Your response is of lots of value. I just need to get over the $95 fee to get scanned at the dealership. Im worried if its not one of those things and they try to charge the **** out of me for whatever it is. Thanks though much appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go to dealer and take the estimate, with understanding that if it come up with any of (3) select codes, you win FREE repair.. if not any of the 3 select code, then you pay

Let me put this out up front --

DTC Information:

 B1701: Buckle Pretensioner - Driver resistance too high.
 B1706: Buckle Pretensioner - Passenger resistance too high.

If a vehicle exhibits one or both of the listed DTCs, follow the service procedure(s) described in this
bulletin.

Applicable Vehicles: 2006 - 2008 Sonata (NF)

Note: Pretensioner warranty coverage has been extended to 15 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 250,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Code number 3 be a B1448,,,,, this should explain the silly light monkey business for Passenger Detect in the seat (ON/OFF)

B1448 been covered in here many times, and the repair procedure is to remove seat cushion (dealer should be very well versed in the art of seat cushion removal).. the cushion is boxed up and sent to Hyundai Mobis in CA via FED-EX Overnight,,, Hyundai will return cushion with new mat-module to dealer overnight again..

The reason they did not find Recall is the 1448 is under the 083,, and it is handled on a "PER CAR" basis when they show up with warning light and B1448

Here again, dealer should be very well versed in the art of 083.... if not, they not up to speed some 10yr now since it come along

Feel FREE to print reply and read it aloud to the fella at the service desk if they give you any grief,, or hand it to him for them to read...

BTW -- help us help you.. I see no hint in 1st post what yr chassis and engine,, no location,, so I dont know if you USA (makes my reply extremely accurate) or you off shore in some other country (my reply be of no value in off shore paradise)... finish fill in your profile...

I called Hyundai and they said I had no recall and there was nothing they can do unless I go and have it scanned and pay for it even though I told her about what you said. I got it inspected today and the mechanic said it would be very expensive to get it all done. He confirmed the airbag wont deploy with the light on. So at this point im unsure what to do unless I should just try to replace the passenger seat myself.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
@PJ DUNN

Dealer wont find any kind of recall doing VIN search,, Hyundai states specifically that it is handled on a case by case basis...

Tell them to look up "083"........ But of course we have no idea what codes you have since you not had the modules scanned for codes... so we dont know what is needed to effect a valid repair..

Visit another dealer,, that you is FREE to do.... SCAN,,, any of my foremention codes get you FREE repair... Dealer should know, they the dealer, unless they so sheltered from real world.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,272 Posts
there was nothing they can do unless I go and have it scanned and pay for it even though I told her about what you said.
They're right. They can't possibly know what the issue is unless you authorize them to scan the car. If the issue they find is covered by the Hyundai recall the cost of the scan will be paid for by Hyundai as part of the repair. If not, then you'll need to pay for it. Having the dealer scan the car shouldn't cost too much and it's really your only course of action since the independent garages in your area are too chicken to even scan the SRS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts