Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Santa Fe, AWD, LX, 2.7L

When the ignition is turned on the airbag light flashes 5 times and then goes off. This occurs whether you start the car or just turn the ignition on.

This occurred late yesterday afternoon so I haven't had a lot of time to research it yet. I do have an OBD tester that I will use to see if there is a code.

A variable I think might come into play are the LED headlights I installed Friday evening. They do have the CAN-BUS module or resistor built in. When I first installed everything was fine. They worked well with no issue so I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

After I got done polishing the headlight lenses I went to start the car and inspect how it looked (I realize the polishing itself would not cause this). When I started the car the headlights flashed on and off quickly. Almost light a strobe affect. So I turned the lights off and back on and everything seemed to be OK, Now every time the ignition is turned on or the car fully started the airbag light flashes 5 times and then goes out. In the limited time I've searched I haven't found what the five flashes mean yet.

Clearly I'm going to put the stock halogens back in and see what happens. But I don't know if that will clear up the 5 flashes or not.

TIA

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If this is the new format for this site

If this is the new format for this site, someone is into serious drugs who formatted it. It's almost incoherent.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,159 Posts
When the ignition is turned on the airbag light flashes 5 times and then goes off.
Does it not actually flash 6 times?

Regardless, the light should flash several times with you turn the ignition on. That's perfectly normal, and I'm sure it has always done that and you've just never noticed.

No need to swap your headlamps bulbs :smile:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does it not actually flash 6 times?

Regardless, the light should flash several times with you turn the ignition on. That's perfectly normal, and I'm sure it has always done that and you've just never noticed.

No need to swap your headlamps bulbs :smile:

Hey Autospark,

It has crossed my mind that I'm losing said mind (whether its 5 or 6). We've owned the car for whole 16 years. I really don't recall that light flashing like that. The door buzzer dings matches the flashes. I guess it possible it's normal, I'm just not convinced.

I did dig out the actual service manual (not owners manual) and read about the 6 flashes. Sounds stupid, but now I'm questioning whether I counted the very first time the light aluminates or the subsequent flashes. So now I'm not sure if it's 5 or 6.

LOL-SMH

I just want to make sure the vehicle is safe for my daughter at the end of the day. The light did stay off for the short time I've been able to drive it since this happened late yesterday, daughter drove it to school today. I probably started the car 10 times. Every time the AB light flashes and goes off and all seem to be normal.

I just don't feel comfortable.

Maybe another member here can chime in with same year and model and simply see if the characteristics exist.

Thanks for replying AS. I was hoping you and/or SBR would for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,159 Posts
If there was a fault the light would stay on after the 5/6 flashes.
If you want total peace of mind you'll need to have the SRS scanned to check for trouble codes. There isn't likely to be any though, since the warning light isn't staying on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If there was a fault the light would stay on after the 5/6 flashes.
If you want total peace of mind you'll need to have the SRS scanned to check for trouble codes. There isn't likely to be any though, since the warning light isn't staying on.

I have a Acctron and an Autotel. I just don't remember the seat belt/door is open ding.....dinging....5/6 times along with the light. If there is an issue I'm leaning towards the restraints as opposed to the airbag itself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Guys,, Just checked my '03 and when you turn on ignition the air bag light comes on (along with others), goes out, then back on 5 more times. No codes are set.

Can't comment on the seat belt bell as I have had it disconnected since I got the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Autospark,

It has crossed my mind that I'm losing said mind (whether its 5 or 6). We've owned the car for whole 16 years. I really don't recall that light flashing like that. The door buzzer dings matches the flashes. I guess it possible it's normal, I'm just not convinced.

I did dig out the actual service manual (not owners manual) and read about the 6 flashes. Sounds stupid, but now I'm questioning whether I counted the very first time the light aluminates or the subsequent flashes. So now I'm not sure if it's 5 or 6.

LOL-SMH

I just want to make sure the vehicle is safe for my daughter at the end of the day. The light did stay off for the short time I've been able to drive it since this happened late yesterday, daughter drove it to school today. I probably started the car 10 times. Every time the AB light flashes and goes off and all seem to be normal.

Maybe another member here can chime in with same year and model and simply see if the characteristics exist.

Thanks for replying AS. I was hoping you and/or SBR would for obvious reasons.
I just wondering if you figured out what is wrong with an airbag flash? Have same problem

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why do you believe you have a problem? Normal operation is to flash 6 times and then go out when starting car.
From the owners manual....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wondering if you figured out what is wrong with an airbag flash? Have same problem
Thanks cmale.....

@ Lana....I still have that car. But even two years ago when i made this thread....i had the car for so long (16 years) I became oblivious to the fact that indeed that was normal operation. After all the years of owning the car I simply never or stopped noticing it and the fact it had always done that as it should have.

So Spark and Cmale are correct, normal operation for my situation. The timing was just not good when my headlights flashed like a strobe light after installing LED's. Hasn't done it since. Just a one off anomaly.

So I never had an issue. I still have the car to this day and no issues as it relates to this thread.

Do you have any other variables of concern with the airbag light that makes you believe their is an issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks cmale.....

@ Lana....I still have that car. But even two years ago when i made this thread....i had the car for so long (16 years) I became oblivious to the fact that indeed that was normal operation. After all the years of owning the car I simply never or stopped noticing it and the fact it had always done that as it should have.

So Spark and Cmale are correct, normal operation for my situation. The timing was just not good when my headlights flashed like a strobe light after installing LED's. Hasn't done it since. Just a one off anomaly.

So I never had an issue. I still have the car to this day and no issues as it relates to this thread.

Do you have any other variables of concern with the airbag light that makes you believe their is an issue?
Thank you so much for response, I just bought car second hand, so was bit worried, but after reading manual it seems everything perfectly fine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts