Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am from USA.

My Sonata 2017 has it's Airbag and Traction Control lights on.
Used "Micro Mechanic" OBDII reader, but didn't get any error codes.
Local dealer says, that they will check for issues, but can't say if
the issue is under warranty unless they open stuff up. If no warranty,
then they will charge ~100 USD just for diagnostics.

What are my options ? I would really appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure why the dealer is telling you may get charged diagnostics. Is there anything indication as to why they may think it would not be covered like damage?
The reason you scan tool is not reading any codes as its most likely reading the engine codes not the ABS codes. You may try to get Autozone/O-reilly to scan the code for you if they have a scan tool that can read ABS (they scan codes for free). The other option is to spend $100 to get a decent scan tool that can scan those modules in your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alotofcar: I am planning on going to Autozone asap.
Carfixer007: This is my first car and I am not sure as to how should I go about talking to dealers / garages. Should I talk to other garages about this or just go with the Hyundai dealer ?

Thanks for the helpful information.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it's not covered under warranty they charge. All of them do that. A charge of $100 is reasonable from a dealer.
I've never had a dealer mention diagnosis fee's when bringing a car in for a warranty concern, unless the dealer has some reason to believe that some outside damage caused the issue.
Have you been to the dealer yet or did you call them? Is the car still under the original factory warranty? If the car is under warranty, then there should be no reason not to go to a dealer.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If it's not covered under warranty they charge. All of them do that. A charge of $100 is reasonable from a dealer.
Let me say this about diagnostic charges. Why would anyone want to use the equipment and diagnostic skills and labor of any repair shop for free - they have bills to pay. Nothing is free. Want it "free" then buy an appropriate scanner and other tools and learn how to trace and fix the cause yourself.

Just getting a code though is not worth a $100 diagnostic fee. But tracing the cause of the code is well worth the $100. A good mechanic (not a parts chaser) should not need more than about an hour to do it.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
9,050 Posts
It's probably the clockspring in the steering wheel. Hyundai has some unspoken extended warranties on certain models.

For $100 you can get a scan tool to read and reset the ABS codes at Harbor freight. Traction control is probably disabled when the clockspring is bad (mine was but no light on the Gen Coupe). Might have a steering angle sensor on the back of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never had a dealer mention diagnosis fee's when bringing a car in for a warranty concern, unless the dealer has some reason to believe that some outside damage caused the issue.

Have you been to the dealer yet or did you call them? Is the car still under the original factory warranty? If the car is under warranty, then there should be no reason not to go to a dealer.
I have spoke to them over phone. I have an appointment with them next week.
I think the powertrain warranty is still there, but I am not sure whether that covers airbags and traction control.

·
Registered
2019 Sonata Sport 2.4L GDI
403 Posts
I have spoke to them over phone. I have an appointment with them next week.
I think the powertrain warranty is still there, but I am not sure whether that covers airbags and traction control.
How many miles are on your car?

The Powertrain Warranty for Hyundai does not cover Airbags and Traction Control. I also believe that it is only valid for the original owner.

A few things come to mind with this problem. A combination of the Airbag and Traction Control light on at the same time is odd. Perhaps a wiring harness problem, maybe some wires went bad or were chewed up by a critter. Or maybe the ECM is starting to go bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles are on your car?

The Powertrain Warranty for Hyundai does not cover Airbags and Traction Control. I also believe that it is only valid for the original owner.

A few things come to mind with this problem. A combination of the Airbag and Traction Control light on at the same time is odd. Perhaps a wiring harness problem, maybe some wires went bad or were chewed up by a critter. Or maybe the ECM is starting to go bad.
54000 miles

·
Registered
403 Posts
Glad to hear that you are under 60,000 miles. If you are in the United States and under 5 years of ownership, this repair should be covered under your bumper to bumper warranty provided that you have no damage caused by external factors.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This problem is related to the Electronic Stability Control. It could be that either the Yaw Rate and Lateral G sensor is faulty or there is a CAN communication line problem from the hydraulic electronic control unit being faulty. This should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE:
The OCC sensor (Occupant sensor under passenger seat, Part# 88952C2500) was faulty.
It was replaced under warranty. I wasn't charged anything, not even for labor.

On a side note, the front passenger window switch was also faulty (since before issue with air bag started).
It was also replaced free of cost.

I was told that without warranty, parts, diagnosis and labor charges would have cost me around $600.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the helpful insights. Best of luck to all Hyundai owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am from USA.

My Sonata 2017 has it's Airbag and Traction Control lights on.
Used "Micro Mechanic" OBDII reader, but didn't get any error codes.

What are my options ? I would really appreciate any pointers.

Thanks
hey guys....I'm trying to figure out the airbag light situation. I have an 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I purchased in 2016. My Airbag light has come on and will not go off. It stays solid. The dealership is wanting to charge me $175 for a diagnostic. Is this too much?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The dealership is wanting to charge me $175 for a diagnostic. Is this too much?
What's the dealership's hourly flat rate charge? Hard to say, if it's a common problem the tech can diagnose in 1/2 an hour then maybe an hours labor would be more honest. Could try another dealer or maybe an independent shop for quote on diagnostic. Go to a parts store and get them to scan for codes for free, then research the codes on the internet. At least it will make you more knowledgable.

You do know that shops routinely charge women higher rates, sorry to say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.