Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an Air Lift 1000 suspension kit on their rear suspension? I just purchased a kit and plan on installing it in the coming week. I bought it to help level out my Santa Fe when I tow my pop-up camper. I will post my install after I get it complete.

The mud man

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed one on my 05 about 6 months ago. Single best mod I've done to the vehicle. Took about 2.5hrs, most of that time figuring out what parts to disconnect without using a spring compressor, since you can't slip the bags in between the coils.

Finally, a buddy said "maybe we could just put them in boiling water to soften them up, then feed them in." 40minutes later, all done. No parts removed, no drilling below the coil seat (there are existing holes you can use).

If you can decide where to put the air valve ahead of time and do the boiling water trick, it can be done in less than 30 minutes by one person.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll love the results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Redpoint for the really great tip. I was praying that I didn't need to drop the suspension down to fit the bag through the open portion of the spring. Plus no drilling is music to my ears too. I am currently running the electrical and hoses for the air compressor that I am adding under the dash. I plan on placing a push button switch on the dash right next to the hazard button (blank bank) and then the dump valve with an air gage on the blanks next to the dash lighting dimmer switch. I'll post pics after the mod.

Oh did you place a plastic donut on the top of the air bag? The instructions are not really clear. I know to put on on the bottom at the air port. I'll put it in anyways though.

Thanks again for your valuable tips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Going by memory (check the instructions), the bags install with the air line facing down, donut between bottom of airbag and spring seat.

I believe there is only one donut per airbag.

BTW, kinking the air hose is very easy to do. If one or both of the bags don't inflate, check the lines first. One of mine was kinked inside the bottom of the spring where I coudn't see it (there is about a 3 inch space you can't see the line). Straightened it out in 2 seconds and all was good.

I didn't install a compressor, so no help there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts