Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with cold air intakes or short ram intakes or performance chips? My reading so far seems to indicate that a cai will give the best performance increase but mpg may suffer whereas an sri will give you some performance increase but not decrease mpg. Can anyone comment on this.

Also, has anyone actually installed a performance chip. I've been looking at something like this one here: http://www.engineperformancechip.com/hyund...nce-chip-x2-p-8

It looks like it can be easily uninstalled in case warranty service needed. Of course, I don't believe the huge performance gains that they claim but even a bit would be nice to have.

My Santy is 2009 3.3 L.

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Assuming there's a circuit in there ( http://www.ripoffreport.com/car-parts-acce...m-lie-bc3aa.htm ) [there probably was a 5 cent resistor in there and the poster didn't see it] simply fiddling around with the return from the upstream O2 sensors (you'd need two of these gadgets - one for each bank) can only try to fool the engine into thinking the mixture is leaner or richer than it actually is. That is, after all, the only function of that sensor to begin with. So the assumption of these outfits is that running a richer or leaner mixture than the ECU thinks appropriate will somehow improve either your mileage or performance. Wandering off the magic 14.7:1 ratio rarely produces something very helpful.

Somewhere along the line, the concept of a "performance chip" has turned into all manner of snake oil. The original meaning was a replacement ROM for the ECU that did some true retailoring of the advance curve, shift points, mixture, etc. Once you got to that level and could take all of the inputs together to form a response, there were some interesting possibilities (even if they did tend to void warranties). Usually, they just pushed the engine harder, providing some additional HP but without any intent to improve mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your valuable input. I can just imagine that guys face when he took his performance chip apart :) I think I'll just put that kind of mod out of my mind.

Any thought on air intakes? I'm leaning towards the short ram intake. As it tucks away up inside the engine compartment the motor will be getting warmer air which seems more beneficial to me.

Cheers...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not sure you'll get much in the way of HP except for a louder engine noise. I believe most of the (small) gains made from opening up the intake and exhaust are in the upper RPM's anway. I agree with Canderson as well. I think the only people who would benefit from a remapped ECU would be the Diesel owners who might be able to squeeze a few more psi out of their turbos.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (ehkewley @ Jul 12 2010, 10:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341058
I'm not sure you'll get much in the way of HP except for a louder engine noise. I believe most of the (small) gains made from opening up the intake and exhaust are in the upper RPM's anway. I agree with Canderson as well. I think the only people who would benefit from a remapped ECU would be the Diesel owners who might be able to squeeze a few more psi out of their turbos.
Yup - the diesel boys in Europe have been fiddling to good effect for a while now. Isn't the waste gate psi still mechanically set, though? (Been a while since I've had a Garrett unit on one of my vehicles!) Or is that electronically controlled now as well?

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Jul 12 2010, 01:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341063
Yup - the diesel boys in Europe have been fiddling to good effect for a while now. Isn't the waste gate psi still mechanically set, though? (Been a while since I've had a Garrett unit on one of my vehicles!) Or is that electronically controlled now as well?
I believe it still is, but from what I recall in the past that you want to remap after setting the psi so that you don't run lean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
you guys may be right about the no hp gain but my overall performance with an aftermarket intake system is kick azz way better pick up not to mention makes my lil car sound like a beast so anybody out there looken to drop the stock airflow go for it :whistling:

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (NSSanty @ Jul 12 2010, 11:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341056
Any thought on air intakes? I'm leaning towards the short ram intake. As it tucks away up inside the engine compartment the motor will be getting warmer air which seems more beneficial to me.

Cheers...
Most modern engines already use what would be considered a 'cold air intake', on the santa fe, it's drawn from directly in front of the vehicle, just above the radiator (above it, not behind it, don't get all excited).

Warmer air is less dense, meaning it will contain less oxygen by a barely perceptible amount for this purpose than cooler air, this is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Will you see any difference? Without also altering the engine control unit, NO, since the computer is going to adjust for whatever air it's getting, whether it's 30 degree air you'd get in the winter, or 110 degree air you'd get in the summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts