Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the stock air intake, I have to say that is seems very restrictive. First off it seems that the hood blocks where the air is supposed to enter. I am just wondering if any had modified there's with good/bad results or if I had to be the guinea pig? :grin:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Newport Ohio @ Oct 11 2010, 05:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362771
After looking at the stock air intake, I have to say that is seems very restrictive. First off it seems that the hood blocks where the air is supposed to enter. I am just wondering if any had modified there's with good/bad results or if I had to be the guinea pig? :grin:
I would tell you but it would cost you a Marions Super Cheese! :bwekk:

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Newport Ohio @ Oct 11 2010, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362771
This is quite common on many cars nowadays. This is usually done as a means for quieting down the car and controlling emissions. You can make a custom cold air intake using some tubing and a cone filter, or wait for more aftermarket kits to become available. On many cars, installing a CAI is usually worth somewhere around 5-10 HP.

On my motorcycle, the throttle body is on the right side of the engine facing outward. But it goes into a large round chamber and has to make a 180 degree turn towards the left side of the bike. The air has to go through a small plastic pathway with a "chichane" in the middle of it, then it comes out into another round chamber on the left side of the bike. This is where the stock air filter is. THe air has to go through the filter, and then make another 180 degree turn before it gets to the air inlet holes which are facing the right side of the bike again.

It was the most asinine stock air flow setup. Installing a cold air intake on just the right side of the bike where the throttle body was REALLY improved throttle response on the bike! :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 12 2010, 09:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362943
This is quite common on many cars nowadays. This is usually done as a means for quieting down the car and controlling emissions. You can make a custom cold air intake using some tubing and a cone filter, or wait for more aftermarket kits to become available. On many cars, installing a CAI is usually worth somewhere around 5-10 HP.

On my motorcycle, the throttle body is on the right side of the engine facing outward. But it goes into a large round chamber and has to make a 180 degree turn towards the left side of the bike. The air has to go through a small plastic pathway with a "chichane" in the middle of it, then it comes out into another round chamber on the left side of the bike. This is where the stock air filter is. THe air has to go through the filter, and then make another 180 degree turn before it gets to the air inlet holes which are facing the right side of the bike again.

It was the most asinine stock air flow setup. Installing a cold air intake on just the right side of the bike where the throttle body was REALLY improved throttle response on the bike! :)
I might have to play around with it this weekend and see if there is any difference. I know on my old truck adding a homemade air intake certainly helped with throttle response (even though that's not an issue with the Sonata). :liebe011:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Newport Ohio @ Oct 12 2010, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362978
Mmmmmmmmmm.................Marions! I might have to go up there tonight (since they are about 1/2 mile away from my house). :grin: :whistling:
I used to work in Oakwood moons upon moons ago near the DQ. About 1 block from that one. Closest one to me now is off Kingsridge and its still over an hour.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (Newport Ohio @ Oct 11 2010, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362771

You are worrying about a non-issue in my opinion. Your car already makes more horsepower per liter than just about every other major-production engine out there. (Excluding things like the limited-production Honda S2000 (or its Lotus iterations), or the BMW M series.) You also enjoy excellent low-end torque which extends seamlessly into a broad powerband all the way to redline. Why mess with success? The intake snorkel draws air from the best source available: the high-pressure zone at the leading edge of the hoodline. It is a stock, factory-engineered, ram-effect CAI. I seriously doubt whether an aftermarket CAI would improve either overall horsepower or low-end torque, not to mention the sacrifice of engine reliability with an oiled cotton or foam filter element.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you have maybe a 2-2.25" exhaust diameter which couldnt possibly be fed by anything bigger than about a 3" or so intake (equivalent cross-section). Based on the looks of it (I removed mine when doing my air horns install), the stock intake snorkel easily bests this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 13 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363192
You are worrying about a non-issue in my opinion. Your car already makes more horsepower per liter than just about every other major-production engine out there. (Excluding things like the limited-production Honda S2000 (or its Lotus iterations), or the BMW M series.) You also enjoy excellent low-end torque which extends seamlessly into a broad powerband all the way to redline. Why mess with success? The intake snorkel draws air from the best source available: the high-pressure zone at the leading edge of the hoodline. It is a stock, factory-engineered, ram-effect CAI. I seriously doubt whether an aftermarket CAI would improve either overall horsepower or low-end torque, not to mention the sacrifice of engine reliability with an oiled cotton or foam filter element.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you have maybe a 2-2.25" exhaust diameter which couldnt possibly be fed by anything bigger than about a 3" or so intake (equivalent cross-section). Based on the looks of it (I removed mine when doing my air horns install), the stock intake snorkel easily bests this.
Valuable perspective. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 12 2010, 08:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362943

You will gain HP on the top end, but lose torque on the low end. Personally I would rather have the low end torque then 1-2 extra HP at 65MPH.

IMO, unless you own a car that NEEDS the extra air, a CAI does more harm then good. Especially in a NA 4 banger.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (chitown1211 @ Oct 13 2010, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363210
You will gain HP on the top end, but lose torque on the low end. Personally I would rather have the low end torque then 1-2 extra HP at 65MPH.

IMO, unless you own a car that NEEDS the extra air, a CAI does more harm then good. Especially in a NA 4 banger.
my supercharged riviera was sooo much better with a CAI. i gained about 15hp, and a percentage increase in gas mileage. i was taught that usually....cars without turbos/superchargers unless extremely constricted..dont really need a cai/fwi. they will see little gains which arent worth the money. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (dynamike @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363265
Sounds like another "warranty buster" to me.
Why do people want to screw up a very good warranty.

are u serious? A CAI or SRI wont void your warranty. I put a CAI, headers, and exhaust on my Tiburon gt and it never voided anything.
Hyundai even sells an AEM short ram intake as an option.

and sounds like ranting to me...Our 2.4L Sonata is +25hp over competitors so its not possible to get anymore power out of it? Its engineered for maximum output from the factory? please. Theres emission standards to meet, quiet road quality, etc to appeal to the majority or the consumer market.

A Short ram intake looks like a heat-soaker to me. I would go with a CAI over a drop-in K&N or SRI. No, I dont have proof so dont quote me that a SRI would not wield HP. But I have noticed that a CAI is an improvement over a factory crinkle box with numbers not my seat (on my 2.7 tib).

maybe its me but everyone seems to have the "its a family car" mentality over an enthusiast mentality. Audio and HIDs

before someone flames, i didnt get the 2.0T because of the auto trans. Faster but still not as fun as a standard imo. The handling is sloppy on the GLS but thats nothing that cant be modified :) and the 2.4 GDI has more potential over the 2.7L V6 Delta or 2.0L Beta-II which is platform candidate to modify.

·
Registered
18 Posts
btw I'm in the process of making a custom CAI. If I loose HP then i'll eat my words lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (kton @ Dec 13 2010, 12:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379255
... well welcome to the forum, but i have to ask, did u join just to say that? lol

anyway, tell us how it goes
lol thanks for the welcome. haha no i didnt join just to say that. ill try to have an update on my cai this weekend..

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 13 2010, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363192

Your response sparked some things that I remember during air flow tests on an electric powered Chevy S-10 pick-up we were developing with Chevrolet. I wont go into all the details but the best air flow over the truck was acomplished with a tonneau cover on the bed with an opening about 2 feet behind the cab. I know this sounds wierd, and looks kind of goofy but aerodynamically was very slippery. People dont realize just how much engineering and development goes into designing these cars and that everything they do has a purpose that maximizes whatever it is they are trying to accomplish whether we think its ridiculous or not. You are right about the high pressure area in front of the hood which is where the intake scoop is. I would disagree with regard to sacrificing engine reliability by using the oiled cotton K&N filter though. They are very efficient and flow a lot of air and are very safe as far as catching foreign materials. The aftermarket capitalizes on our need to want to go faster and create more power. Some of their stuff works and some doesnt. If you add up all the power gains some of these places advertise you'd be going as fast as a Pro Stock race car! This 2.0T we bought is plenty fast, I totally agree with you. I am very happy with it's performance! -Al

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (dynamike @ Oct 13 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363265
Sounds like another "warranty buster" to me.
Why do people want to screw up a very good warranty.
Car companies cannot legally void your warranty simply because you installed one aftermarket part. In order for the warranty to be voided, a failure has to occur and the failure must then be attributed to the non-OEM part. And even then, only the warranty on that particular part is voided, not on the entire car. Dealers have really screwed people up by telling them the entire warranty will be voided if they don't do everything they say. It's really flooded the market with blatant misinformation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Dec 13 2010, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379414
is your Tiburon sporting a Krylon-fiber hood? If so, no need to post any updates to you CAI efforts.
i was referring to a CAI on the Sonata not Tiburon for the few members who are actually interested

1 - 20 of 24 Posts