Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, half a year ago i had my clucth replaced and few monts ago i noticed my pedal slowly going down more and more to the point where i couldnt shift gears. I have done research and read about elantra hydraulics problems so i replaced both master and slave cylinder, got air out of the system and it was fine for about a week or so. Now i can't drive 30 miles without stopping for "venting" the system. There are no leaks, the fluid level seems stable. How that air is getting in there? Today i switched bleeder nipple to my old and is doesnt seem to make a difference...

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its almost brand new oem master cylinder how can it be bad? Can i check it somehow if its sucking air? There are no visible leaks whatsoever

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did, it wasnt working dry. I will disassembly it tomorrow and check it. Saw a yt video today where a guy put a clamp on a soft hose between master and slave so there is no flow and if you can press the pedal your master is bad. Seems like good way to determine it.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Make sure you completely close off the line and the pedal should be stiff and hold under pressure.

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so basically i wasted 3h of my life... The clamp test was inconclusive because i didnt know if the line was pressed enough because i didnt want it to crack. There was resistance but eventually i could press the pedal all the way. I removed master from the car get it to bench bleed but it was for nothing as all the fluid from it spilled when i was connecting it to the steel line. I tried to bleed it by loosening that connection and never got to that firm pedal feel. Im done with this car...

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Ok so basically i wasted 3h of my life... The clamp test was inconclusive because i didnt know if the line was pressed enough because i didnt want it to crack.

Did the joint leak?

There was resistance but eventually i could press the pedal all the way.

If there are no leaks and no air in the system the master is bad.

I removed master from the car get it to bench bleed but it was for nothing as all the fluid from it spilled when i was connecting it to the steel line. I tried to bleed it by loosening that connection and never got to that firm pedal feel. Im done with this car...
Ouch....

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are probably right about the bad master. The best thing i could do right now is to leave the car to the mechanic and get it right from the beginning plus buy new lines from beginning to the end.

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesus christ, i think i finally found the culprit! (Nevermind mine previous post :p) So today i removed the whole system as one piece and disassembled it piece by piece to inspect it and clean it. My first suspect was the master cylinder body, specifically the place where the piston moves. It has signs of use as it probably remembers the factory. Then i proceed to the slave and submerged it in water and compressed it there. To my surprise there were bubbles coming from two places in the rubber booth at the push rod. I thought the sole purpose of that rubber is to prevent dust and mud getting into there and it is not air tight but after treating the place with duct tape and putting it all back together i drove for about 20 min in heavy traffic and doing a lot of shifts the pedal is stiff as it should be leaving about one inch play at the top. Here are some photos of where was the punctured rubber and after the positive test drive :D

·
Registered
2003 Elantra 2.0 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so i owe you guys a little update... Mr. Grcauto was right from the beginning, and i am stubborn dummy. I was so desperate to fix the thing i found the problem in a dust booth that has nothing to do with system being air tight. I dont know why the clutch was ok for such a long time but i installed a new master cylinder today and it seems like the problem is solved. If you have similar problem, dont buy just the new piston, buy the whole assembly. Putting a new piston into old cylinder is pointless. Thank You for your help :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts