Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take a look at this video (start at 0:46-0:49) before I ask you my questions.

When I opened my air filter box, I saw 2 air filters not just one. There is one that you can easily take it out just like the on that is replaced by K&N air filter but there is also another one which attaches to the air filter box and you don't see it in the video at 0:46. In the video, there is nothing inside the air filter box and we can only see one air filter display on sight. Has anyone here changed your air filter before? Is there a way that I can remove the one attached to the air filter box and replace it? Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's too dark now so I'm not able to take any pics. I will take some tomorrow. Basically, if you look at my air filter box you will see there is another air filter attached to the bottom of the box beside the one you can take it out like in the video.

·
22,793 Posts
You're looking at the PZEV engine air box if you're seeing two...one top, one in the bottom. The non-PZEV model only has the top one. I've owned both. Ingrid is "non." Search PZEV and you'll learn more than you want to know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're looking at the PZEV engine air box if you're seeing two...one top, one in the bottom. The non-PZEV model only has the top one. I've owned both. Ingrid is "non." Search PZEV and you'll learn more than you want to know.
I think you got me, Okie. Is there a place to buy a replacement filter for that?

·
22,793 Posts
That, sir, I do not know. But someone on here will have the answer in short order. I only replaced the top filter in my 2011. Don't have that to deal with it on Ingrid.

It may not be replaceable, Kevin. Some little voice in the back of my head is telling me this. And, NO, I don't suffer with Multiple Personality Disorder... LMAO

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's like secondary air filter in the 'lid' of the air box. It looks dirty but I'm not sure about that because I can only see the back of it. The regular air filter is super white and clean but the secondary is dark like charcoal. I has been experiencing a decrease in my MPG so I hope it is the cause because I have inspected everything related to MPG such as: tire pressure, etc.

·
22,793 Posts
I remember mine ALWAYS being dark in there. There's a functionality for it relative to the PZEV engine design.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I think it's not the cause. What things should I inspect regarding my MPG decreasing?

·
22,793 Posts
Uh, last oil change when? Tire pressures: check. Heavy foot: check. Winter blend gas: check. Filter checked: check. Same gas, same station as before this occurred? Miles on the clock, Kevin? Junk in the trunk?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I remember reading a few installing K&N filters and tossing the pre-filter. Don't know if I recommend removing it but whom am I to know. Just saying it not as a debate but what I've read.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have checked everything and they were all good. I might have to bring my car to the dealer and let them inspect the problem. I checked the cabin air filter and it was not bad but I still bought a new one to check. Hopefully it fixs my problem. I'm down 5 MPG with the same road condition + driving habit. The only thing that I thought was the PZEV air filter but I can't remove it.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner first. either techron concentrate, Gumout with Regane, redline sl1. All good products. Sounds dumb but it's cheap and easy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,793 Posts
^1 Agree with Someguy! I have an oil change coming due in about a week. I'll put some Techron in on the next fill-up and run it out about the time the oil is due to be changed. I buy it when it's 2 for 1 (BOGO?) at the auto stores. Try to keep a couple of bottles in the garage for backup.

Some love it, some call it snake oil, some don't care. Hyundai recommends it, so I do it...and light year's cheaper than they do.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Warm & fuzzy...

^1 Agree with Someguy! I have an oil change coming due in about a week. I'll put some Techron in on the next fill-up and run it out about the time the oil is due to be changed. I buy it when it's 2 for 1 (BOGO?) at the auto stores. Try to keep a couple of bottles in the garage for backup.

Some love it, some call it snake oil, some don't care. Hyundai recommends it, so I do it...and light year's cheaper than they do.
It's that warm & fuzzy feeling your talking about Rich. If it can't hurt it, all that matters is if you like it! :grouphug:

·
22,793 Posts
Agree, Jon. Hyundai recommends it. The manufacturer of the product (isn't it Chevron?) blends it into their fuel offerings. Other vehicle OEM's also recommend it. So, what's the harm?

No Chevron here in Okieville, so it's Shell with nitrogen for Ingrid and a gulp of Techron every once in a while.

Besides, when the dealer recommends it during a routine service (which I do), it's fun to tell them, "Beat you to it! Have receipt and logged it into my little black book!" The look on the service writer's face is priceless. They know me from all the free oil changes and don't even bother asking me, anymore! If it ain't free, I'll do it, myself. I've already lined their pockets enough when I bought the car. They'll have to learn to live off that. Why should I be forced to eat 70/30 hamburger and the dealer goes home to prime rib and trimmings each night?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's like secondary air filter in the 'lid' of the air box. It looks dirty but I'm not sure about that because I can only see the back of it. The regular air filter is super white and clean but the secondary is dark like charcoal.
I have a PZEV too. If the other filter is in the lid isn't that after the paper filter? If its a charcoal filter it could be to stop vapors from escaping too the air.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I'm down 5 MPG with the same road condition + driving habit.
I'm guessing that this is a short-term observation, based on the newness of your vehicle. You might want to back off the MPG monitoring just a bit, and consider the long-term averages only.

One issue that many Elantra owners have noticed is that the car's real-world MPG is extremely sensitive to driving conditions. So what you consider "the same" conditions might in fact contain enough differences to cause a 5 mpg fluctuation from tank to tank. The only way to correct for this is to average it out over time. Don't drive yourself crazy, and don't waste your money pouring magic chemicals into a brand-new car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts