Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been very hot around here lately, and unusually humid. Every time I start the car, there's a mildew smell from the vents as it starts up, which goes away after a while. It's not inside the car, it must be in the A/C system, as I don't smell it when I get into the car, it only happens when I start the car. This wasn't the case in February when we got the car and it stays warm here year round just not as hot and humid as it has been lately.

Any easy fixes for this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its the humidity rather than the heat. I get this same thing too upon starting the car, it goes away once the AC is on a few minutes. Check to see if your evaporator drain hose under the car isn't plugged or semi plugged. On a cooler evening run the heater a bit, that seems wipe it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lysol disinfectant into the air intakes worked pretty well for me. Had to do it a couple of times, but it helped. Here's a video.

Also, I drive with the re-circulation off if it's not too hot outside, I feel that helps keep the AC system dry (I might be wrong).
I probably have the exterior air setting on 80% of the time & I still get it, perhaps it would be worse on recirculate more?

You should always start your AC in the external air position, then as the cabin cools, flip to recirculate the cooler (& drier) air on hot days (which I often forget to do).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Funny you bring up the cabin filter, but come to think of it I never had this issue in any vehicle without a cabin filter.

not enough air getting to the evaporator?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I probably have the exterior air setting on 80% of the time & I still get it, perhaps it would be worse on recirculate more?
From personal experience, I did find that the smell returned when I had the re-circulation on, that's why I had to redo the Lysol treatment.

If you're still experiencing the smell even with the exterior air setting on 80% of the time, I think trying to eliminate the stuff (mold?) that's causing the smell would help solve it for you. I just hope the growth is not so bad that you might need professional equipment/help. You might want to look into it soon as I've read inhaling mildew can be harmful over time.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Check the evaporator drain. Check for leaves down around the wiper arm bases, also open the front doors and look past the hinges into the front fenders for leaves down between the fender well backs sides.

But my #1 suspect is the evaporator drain.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From personal experience, I did find that the smell returned when I had the re-circulation on, that's why I had to redo the Lysol treatment.

If you're still experiencing the smell even with the exterior air setting on 80% of the time, I think trying to eliminate the stuff (mold?) that's causing the smell would help solve it for you. I just hope the growth is not so bad that you might need professional equipment/help. You might want to look into it soon as I've read inhaling mildew can be harmful over time.
I'll have to pay more attention now, but late in the season now, breathing Mildew in the summer & Salt & road chemical mist in the winter.

Though you get that initial blast of humidity upon starting in the summer it usually goes away.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had some late season humidity over the weekend & got a bit of this smell, so I thought I'd test this theory out. I started the car with it in recirculate & with it in external intake. In both instances I got the smell. Upon turning on the AC, once it got down to temperature the smell diminished considerably or disappeared within 10-20 seconds of the cool air coming through the vents. So it did not seem to matter of the air position, but again this can also depend on the outside relative humidity as a factor. It was late in the day, not excessively warm but very humid.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Not sure if this is still the case, but years ago most A/C systems still pulled about 10% outside air when in recirculate. Seems I recall it was a safety issue to lower the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning from possible exhaust leaks. IIRC

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lysol disinfectant into the air intakes worked pretty well for me. Had to do it a couple of times, but it helped. Here's a video.
I may attempt this...

One would think the cabin filter should be removed for this process? I'm noting this now that it has been brought up. Again I never had this issue in a vehicle until they started putting these "cabin filters" put in, another high mark up item too, the manufactures want to turn these cars into dealer friendly high maintenance money pits. (I'm not speaking only of Hyundai either).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I may attempt this...

One would think the cabin filter should be removed for this process? I'm noting this now that it has been brought up. Again I never had this issue in a vehicle until they started putting these "cabin filters" put in, another high mark up item too, the manufactures want to turn these cars into dealer friendly high maintenance money pits. (I'm not speaking only of Hyundai either).
Well, you do want to make sure your cabin filter is not very dirty or has mold in it.

Mine was in decent shape when I had the issue (just needed a bit of cleaning/vacuuming). I did the Lysol spray with the cabin filter in, didn't cause any issues as such. I'm not sure if it needs to be removed or if it has no effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same year model and had a same issue. Tried with lysol and applied 3 times but still it smells pretty stink first 5-10m. I will try the cabin air filter for next corrective action.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same smell for me, and yes just after a brand new cabin filter. Has always smelt bad since I bought car. It goes away shortly. The recycling switch is automated, so when you put on AC it auto sets to correct position, so its not that either. Just seems to be another great Hyundai feature which can not be fixed easily.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, you do want to make sure your cabin filter is not very dirty or has mold in it.

Mine was in decent shape when I had the issue (just needed a bit of cleaning/vacuuming). I did the Lysol spray with the cabin filter in, didn't cause any issues as such. I'm not sure if it needs to be removed or if it has no effect.
I woulfd think you would need clear airflow to the evaporator for the Lysol to work

Cabin Filter was replaced in December.

I was driving my Vue last night as it had been sitting, initially no smell through the vents but eventually I turned the AC on (temps in upper 60's & kinda humid, after a few stops on errands I begin to note this also upon starting the vehicle & of course this goes away after AC is on for a minute or two.

Anyone find navigating on this new interface annoying? You can't see a cursor when editing. :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
Bismarck318
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing